Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 409333 times)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #2580 on: January 15, 2020, 07:33:21 AM »
CBR has gone very hive mind and protective about Hickman and hox. It’s either you love it think it’s brilliant or you’re an idiot (and secretly racist) if you don’t like it.

Offline Icefanatic

• Journeyman
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #2581 on: January 15, 2020, 08:20:55 AM »
I realised after issue 1 or 2 of Excalibur that I had read something else from Tini. She released a 4 issue mini about Death's head just before excalibur. I grew up with Death's Head 2 so there is some attachement to that corner of Marvel. I only got through 3 issues of that mini. First issue was ok then it got jumbled and messy. She introduced 1 new character: Death's head 3 that was mostly cringy to read. She wrote a ok relationship with Wiccan-Hulkling but that was due to going with the neverending stream of conciousness dialouge mode with them. It drowned out the pages and got a bit boring. Her villain was not a threat. Overall it was written for Young readers that haven't seen Jar Jar binks yet.

KT in general disapointed with to much focus on Rogue. Still there was some good Gambit moments in her Mr&Mrs X run. There was just to few considering it should have been a 50/50 book.

Favorite Gambit writers the latest 10 years:

1: Marjorie Liu(Asmus wrote him with more style but Liu had the character interactions. Loved her Paris arc in X-23)
2: James Asmus. Got the charm and danger.
3: Tom Taylor. Fun, Dangerous, competent and respected by other X-men.
4: KT. Wrote mostly ROMY and while I enjoyed that I missed other aspects of gambit. Last arc was her best Gambit wise.
5: Jeremy Whitely. Wrote X-men monster Unleashed one-shot. Had some fun with Gambit and Laura. Potential in this guy, witch Marvel seems to have missed.

I grew up with Death's Head II as well. I picked up the first issue because of the X-Men and really just loved DHII as a character. His dialogue was awesome, almost a proto-Deadpool mixed with Wolverine. I still remember the scene where Rogue tried to absorb him and got overwhelmed by the the people in his head, resulting in her collapsing in his arms.

DHII: "Are you swooning? I didn't know girls still swooned."

I was excited when I heard about the new DH series but I couldn't get through it, either.  A shame.

I think Mr. and Mrs. X would have been a lot better with a more even focus and less rehashing of past relationships.

CBR has gone very hive mind and protective about Hickman and hox. It’s either you love it think it’s brilliant or you’re an idiot (and secretly racist) if you don’t like it.

There's a lot of that across the industry right now, but CBR is becoming the tip of that spear. Demonize and invalidate all who offer criticism, so they can just dismiss it.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2582 on: January 15, 2020, 10:15:10 AM »
Congratulations to Remydat, he's going to be a Daddy! Yay! I know he doesn't visit here often but I wanted those here to know. :)

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2583 on: January 15, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
From Death's Head, to Bêlit, to Strikeforce and now Excalibur, Tini simply can't write any character right, she either thinks it's great or she doesn't care. I've lost count as to how many times the people at CBR have gotten info wrong, they and WatchMojo.com have so many pointless and inaccurate lists, all they do is read from wiki or reddit or not even that. Their profiles say that there comic book, video game, and movie nerds, but that's a crock of s**t. I remember some Summer Special issues that had 48 PAGES! NO ADS!
https://comiconlinefree.com/the-punisher-summer-special/issue-1

But those are separate storylines and the last few pages are usually just an art gallery.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline malachi

• Guild Member
« Reply #2584 on: January 16, 2020, 08:51:03 AM »
From Death's Head, to Bêlit, to Strikeforce and now Excalibur, Tini simply can't write any character right, she either thinks it's great or she doesn't care. I've lost count as to how many times the people at CBR have gotten info wrong, they and WatchMojo.com have so many pointless and inaccurate lists, all they do is read from wiki or reddit or not even that. Their profiles say that there comic book, video game, and movie nerds, but that's a crock of s**t. I remember some Summer Special issues that had 48 PAGES! NO ADS!
https://comiconlinefree.com/the-punisher-summer-special/issue-1

But those are separate storylines and the last few pages are usually just an art gallery.

It seems that way with Tini. Seeing that we have no way of confirming what she thinks the option that she thinks it's great seems more then likely. Add to that the only reviewers of comics these days are skirting on with 8-9,5 for Excalibur it's hard to take them serious. Easy for Tini to slip into a echo chamber of yes people, resulting in that she doesn't improve.

I know that people have different reasons for reading comics but for any long term reader it's hard to think that characters aren't important. The premise of X-men have changed. It's now more about mutants vs the world. Pretty much all we have left is the characters and in general Hickman doesn't care about that. Writting exciting characters aren't his strength. Whitch is odd seeing that he wants to break into Hollywood. With the exception of writting his own movie he has to work with serialised characters in TV. Where it's all about the characters. I loved Fringe, a show I would assume he wanted to work on, but it's 50/50 the science and it's characters. He can't skip on one of them and skate by as he does in comics.

What I'm trying to say is that as long as Hickman is in charge Tini will be in favor. He needs writers that complement him. Not worse versions of him.

My hope now is that a new comic will be launched and Gambit will move over to that one.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2585 on: January 16, 2020, 11:02:59 AM »
I wouldn`t expect anything good or new for Gambit sooner then Fall 2020.

Excalibur will have at least 12 issues. I think it will end on #12 and then new big crossover will start on June or July for 3 monthes. Of course Gambit will be in limbo the whole Summer because Hickman hates him.

If we will be lucky then he will get some new project or will be just a mutant #8 in some satellite team book again that will start on October or November.

Offline andresa

• Outcast
« Reply #2586 on: January 16, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
I wouldn`t expect anything good or new for Gambit sooner then Fall 2020.

Excalibur will have at least 12 issues. I think it will end on #12 and then new big crossover will start on June or July for 3 monthes. Of course Gambit will be in limbo the whole Summer because Hickman hates him.

If we will be lucky then he will get some new project or will be just a mutant #8 in some satellite team book again that will start on October or November.

Precisely.

How long have we been hoping that Gambit will be back to being what he used to be every time he’s in a new book or a new writer puts their hands on him? I've lost count. Gambit continues to be repeatedly screwed over. 

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #2587 on: January 16, 2020, 01:31:16 PM »
Whatever is happening in the X-Men universe, it is usually still the Scott Summer show. Worse decision to make him the central focus of the series after Morrison's run. And I like Cyclops!

Offline Sparta

• Guild Royalty
« Reply #2588 on: January 16, 2020, 09:40:09 PM »
It looks like Gambit will be a Horseman again, along with Rogue, Jubilee and Rictor...in reference to that ancient war Krakoa had with that other island in HoXPoX.  I think that's what Tini's plans are and probably Hickman's as well considering that he wrote about it in HoXPoX. Apocalypse did see something inside of Gambit just before he got killed off. That's probably in connection with DeathBit. Hopefully it'll be better executed this time...But the signs are there with Rogue and Rictor already.

EDIT: I'll also add that because Apocalypse has aligned himself with Xavier, the Horsemen won't be "evil", it'll be a different approach.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 09:44:51 PM by Sparta »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2589 on: January 17, 2020, 01:51:17 PM »
Surprise

I hope more news like this will bring some good Gambit news

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/01/17/children-of-the-atom-a-new-dawn-of-x-comic-coming-in-april/

Offline Xtreme Gambit

• Gambler
« Reply #2590 on: January 17, 2020, 01:53:53 PM »
Quote from: andresa link=topic=4926. msg77419#msg77419 date=1579196524
Precisely. 

How long have we been hoping that Gambit will be back to being what he used to be every time he’s in a new book or a new writer puts their hands on him? I've lost count.  Gambit continues to be repeatedly screwed over. 
It seems indeed, a new creative team puts hands on him. . . https://www. newsarama. com/48670-children-of-the-atom-expands-dawn-of-x-this-april. html

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2591 on: January 17, 2020, 02:34:09 PM »
Vita Ayala/ Bernard Chang Writer/Artist for the book.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:33:40 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline red joseph

• Horseman
« Reply #2592 on: January 17, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »
Looks like the new x-book focused on the newer generation of kids.

Sooooo from the sounds of it, this girl is Gambits sidekick?

Hopefully Gambit is portrayed well and i'm happy!

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2593 on: January 17, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2594 on: January 17, 2020, 03:27:30 PM »