Author Topic: The Hello Thread  (Read 156717 times)

Offline Greens

• Horseman
Re: The Hello Thread
« Reply #450 on: July 14, 2015, 05:39:22 PM »
Hello All!

I have been a loooooong time reader of the forum and a lifetime Gambit fanatic.  I decided to join up because I found a clip of Channing Tatum doing a bit of Gambit at the SDCC and knew everyone here would like it.  I, personally, thinks it's not too shabby considering a few days ago he just said that he was still looking for the guy to get it down.

So yeah.  My name is Philip McNulty and I have been a Gambit fan since I was 5 years old when the animated series debuted in 1992.  I told my dad that one day I wanted to draw that guy (pointing to Gambit) when I grew up.  And ever since then, I have made it my goal to get into the comic book industry to give the rightful respect that Gambit deserves.  My fiancĂ© is a huge Rogue fanatic and she love her as much as I love Gambit, so I am a big time ROMY guy (which over the years, has been hotly debated on here lol).  Also, I'll get this out of the way too, I am a headsock fan.  It's just so Iconic.  No other person can pull it off.  Like Havok.  He can't touch that.  This new guy in DD? He is a Gambit rip off for wearing it.  So that is my feelings on that.

Otherwise, I am currently the artist for William Shatner's Comic Book Series called Man O' War and hoping that Marvel will adopt me as their own so I can right the ship for Gambit in the All-New, All-Weird Marvel land that I have no interest in because they hate 90's comics and hence I'm not that audience they cater too.  I love everything about 90's comics.  Gambit.  X-Men.  Jim Lee.  Death of Superman.  Pizza Hut Gambit collectors poster, book, and cup (all of which I still have).  SHAMELESS PLUG TIME: I even started a campaign to draw X-Men '92 when it was announced and was Re-tweeted by one of the X-Men editors: https://twitter.com/AnimatedPhil/status/609519623499853824

So other than that I am quite simple.  I love my fiancĂ©, I love my family, I love Gambit, and I love to draw.  I once told a friend in college that even though we were best friends, that I am still going to love Gambit more than him.  So it is my pleasure to be part of the guild and looking forward to posting, mes amis.

-Philip McNulty

Hello! Welcome:)

Offline mythogma

• Outcast
« Reply #451 on: July 14, 2015, 05:56:36 PM »
Welcome to the board, Philip McNulty
Gambit: "Psychologist?"
Brother Voodoo: "In out brief time together, I've seen evidence of a personality type that is narcissistic, kletomaniacal, pathological, adrenaline-addicted, anti-athority, and given to reckless suicidal tendencies. No offense to you, Remy. But a super hero that moonlights as a thief? Dude...you have issues!"
(Gambit OG 2 #12)

Offline PS

• Gambler
« Reply #452 on: August 03, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »
Officially want to say "hi" to you all.  long time stalker, first time poster  ;) Been a fan of this forum for years. 

Anyways I'm a huge fan of Gambit and Deadpool so it's beyond surreal to be getting solo films for both characters next year.  It's also weird to think that both somewhat cult/fan fav characters may become household names come 2016. 

One of my earliest memories was watching the first ep of X-Men TAS with my older brother when it originally aired (I was around 5 yrs old).  Love TAS (still quote Gambit from it today) and most of the Gambit comics.  In my opinion, he was best drawn by Jim Lee.  The Mackie/Weeks mini series is one of my personal fav stories. 

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #453 on: August 04, 2015, 06:03:38 AM »
Hi PS, welcome to the forum.  Glad to see you post. 

I also loved the Mackie/Weeks mini, its one of my favs as well.   :)

Offline Calais

• Gambler
« Reply #454 on: April 12, 2016, 08:43:58 AM »
hi all

I've been coming to this forum for news for a while now thought it was about time i signed up

Been a life long fan, I only really got back into comics after Gambits most recent solo

:)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #455 on: April 12, 2016, 02:22:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  ;D

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #456 on: June 21, 2016, 11:38:14 PM »
Heyo!

I have been through this site a few times over the years but put off signing up.  With the Gambit movie and GvD, I figured I might need a support group if the wreck Remy anymore than they have.

Been a fan since TAS and the Sega game X-Men 2: Clone Wars. 

Mostly gave up on comics around 2000.  From what I have seen. . . it seems like I have missed something akin to a train accident.

Cheers!

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #457 on: June 22, 2016, 08:22:43 AM »
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to your posts. :)

Offline le Reve

• Gambler
  • His eyes, a closed window to the soul...
« Reply #458 on: July 24, 2016, 01:57:15 AM »
Hi, everyone! Huge fan of Gambit/Remy LeBeau here.   :D 

You can all just call me Reve (I know, I'm being so lazy by dropping the gender article.  'le Reve' is French for 'the dream', in case anyone was wondering).

I am a writer who is hoping to be published in the future.  I tend to write mainly for the fantasy genre, but I also write realistic fiction (have actually finished one novel so far that would be categorized as such) and, occasionally, poetry.  I have written fanfiction in the past and may again in the future, but that's as close as it gets to short stories for me.  I am a novelist! Once I start, I can't stop.  ha ha!

Speaking of fanfiction:

I love the Romy pairing and always have, but lately I have found that I enjoy Gambit's tendency to be a "ladies' man", so I have started to like the occasional fanfiction about him with other women (such as Jean Grey).  I love everything about his personality and history, including that extremely romantic and flirtatious side of him. 

I am embarrassed to confess that I'm going mostly by my childhood memories of Gambit for what I consider to be canon (recent cartoon renditions and the brief movie scene ring true enough for me but I wouldn't place them on the timeline of his life--in my opinion, they are things that could have happened in an alternate universe, similar to how Uatu the Watcher describes events in his 'What-If' realities) in the comic books and the early 90s cartoon that seemed to be based directly off of the comics.  I do intend to pick up some comics again soon and try to catch up on what I've missed. . .  But I've never stopped loving him in the meantime! Story about why I stopped reading X-Men. . .

I traveled on the road a lot with my family as a kid, and whenever we would stop at a convenience store or gas station on the road they had comic books for sell in these stands between the aisles. . .  My 2 favorite series, X-Men and Batman, were immediately within reach and therefore it was convenient to pick up various issues, buy them, and read them.  I was such an enthusiast that my dad went out of his way to take me to comic stores--once more, this allowed me access to the characters I loved without my having to take the initiative of tracking them down.

At some point my family put down roots somewhere and comic books were no longer offered to me, and as I stopped seeing them displayed in every convenience store I went to, I just. . .  turned my obsession with fictional worlds in other directions, such as more traditional books and eventually fanfiction, once I discovered the internet.  Mainly, I think, once I was distracted by Harry Potter I just kind of drifted away from most things X-Men related.  That is, until. . .  X-Men Evolution and the X-Men movies started coming out. 

I have been content all these years to just watch different writers depict their interpretations of the characters I grew up loving, but now I am really wanting to get back into the comics and support 'the real' Marvel characters, especially Gambit!

I have missed out on so much! Can you guys believe I just found out a few days ago. . .  after I discovered this guild, actually. . .  about Antarctica? I know you will all know what I mean, but I won't say more here.  That's for a different thread, I know.  But if someone will point me in the right direction so I can be clued in on what-all has been happening with my favorite Cajun, I would really love that!

Anyhow. . .  great to meet you all!  :)

-Reve

"When it comes to love, reasons for and reasons against should fall away.  You should just know. " --Remy LeBeau

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #459 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:21 PM »
Hi, Reve! Nice to meet you ;)

Great first post) I am Romy fan too.
So Antarctica is your last Gambit story?

Yoy need new stories or stories after Antarctica?

Offline le Reve

• Gambler
« Reply #460 on: July 25, 2016, 05:40:40 PM »
Quote from: purplevit link=topic=3. msg68361#msg68361 date=1469398521
Hi, Reve! Nice to meet you ;)

Great first post) I am Romy fan too.
So Antarctica is your last Gambit story?

Yoy need new stories or stories after Antarctica?

Nice to meet you too.  :)  And thank you!

No.  To be specific: Antarctica is just a random event that I happened to read about, first on here (it seemed like every other story in the LeBeau Library mentioned it) and then on Wikipedia when I wanted to know more.  What I need to know is. . .  pretty much everything.  What happened before and after Antarctica.  lol! And I realize that I probably need to just dive into the comics for that, and that it will probably take me years to catch up.

Still, I would definitely be glad for any summaries that a person could give me.  :)
"When it comes to love, reasons for and reasons against should fall away.  You should just know. " --Remy LeBeau

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #461 on: July 25, 2016, 07:54:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I hope you have fun and don't worry about discussions, we like them - so the more the merrier in those. :)

Offline le Reve

• Gambler
« Reply #462 on: July 25, 2016, 11:19:09 PM »
Quote from: Nekobaghira link=topic=3. msg68368#msg68368 date=1469490843
Welcome to the forum.  I hope you have fun and don't worry about discussions, we like them - so the more the merrier in those.  :)

Thank you so much! I'm truly honored to be here.  :)

I was avoiding discussions in the 'Hello' thread because I assumed that going in-depth into any topic other than introductions belonged in a different thread? lol

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #463 on: June 04, 2017, 11:04:29 PM »
After a couple months and some diligent work by Nekobaghira I am finally able to register to this sight.  Thanks again Nekobaghira.

Hello fellow Gambit fans.  I've been a Gambit fan since about 1992.  I liked him in the comics and then he became my favorite character(along with Rogue) in the X-Men animated series and then I read the 1993 Mackie Gambit mini-series and I was hooked for life.  I'm not exactly a comic book aficionado because I had a bunch of years there from my mid-teens to 20 or so when I wasn't really paying any attention to comic books or superheroes.  When I got back into it everything seemed really convoluted and I didn't know where to start.  It didn't really help that Gambit was being treated pretty badly at this point so it was hard to sink my teeth into much.  Regardless of this I've caught up on everything and still know plenty(as it pertains to Gambit) and still try to pick up anything with Gambit in it.

My reason for coming to the GambitGuild is because I was looking for a new site to join and talk about Gambit and the X-Men since imdb closed their message boards.  I found this site in my search for something new and saw how detailed it was and read the message boards and saw how knowledgeable and passionate Gambit fans like me there were and decided this was a great site to join.  I always had a lot of debates and arguments on imdb but here it seems like we're all on the same team.   8)

I am extremely excited about the Gambit movie coming out.  I know plenty of people don't think it's coming out but I think it will.  I think they want it to happen and I believe Channing Tatum will try his best to get it done.  I also think FOX would love to have a leading character added to the franchise played by someone of Tatum's star power.  It's a win-win.  The lead up all the way to the film coming out will be a super fun ride for all of us.  And if they really are trying to do something special and it turns out being at least "good", at best it could be something of a rebirth for the character and everyone could remember why he is so great, at worst, we Gambit fans will forever have a solid Gambit film to cherish. 

Well that's my intro post.  Looking forward to discussing my favorite character and whatever else with everyone.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #464 on: June 04, 2017, 11:14:23 PM »
Welcome! Glad to have another voice aboard the Gambit train!