Author Topic: The Hello Thread  (Read 155192 times)

Offline SmurfButcher Bob

• Site Dev
  • X-Man Mentor
  • Captain Obvious
Re: The Hello Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2006, 01:25:09 AM »
Perfect timing, Turbo...

They wanna put The Reading Room back together.   :o
"The true definition of Madness is repeating the same action, over and over, hoping for a different result." - Einstein
"Einstein never used Windows." - SBB

Turbo

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2006, 01:33:39 AM »
Perfect timing, Turbo...

They wanna put The Reading Room back together.   :o

Ah ok, if y'all need help getting scans. Maybe message me a list or something of what is needed and I could see what I could do. It'd be my pleasure to help.  ;)

Offline Spectrum

• Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 12:55:19 AM »
Seems like the Guild is really gaining some momentum in members joining. Maybe this community will be even more active than the previous incarnations?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2006, 08:12:43 AM »
yes, I noticed the same thing Spectrum ... and what I'm really enjoying is all the help.  I like that everyone wants to do something.

As to the reading room ... incase you haven't gotten to the thread yet.  We can not put the reading room back up due to legal issues.:'(

However, this dilemna has given me an idea.  I'll post in the appropriate thread to get your views on it.

Neko
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 08:14:15 AM by Nekobaghira »

Xyphe

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2006, 01:28:08 PM »
Hello!  Newbie, but not to Gambit or lurking on this site's and forum's various incarnations.  I hope this version sticks around for a good while, very very glad to see it back.   :D

T_Lebeau

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2006, 06:00:51 PM »
Hey everyone,
? ? ?I was around for the last one when Strykerblaze brought me in. I am happy to see it back and I hope it sticks for a while. I have quite a collection of Gambit stuff so if anyone ever needs pictures or scans let me know.

-T

Offline Spectrum

• Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2006, 06:35:00 PM »
Feel free to contribute to the Gallery. It'd be nice to see some more scans that I didn't put there. lol

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2006, 11:10:36 PM »
*chuckles* I know this site has had issues, and gone through some stuff to be around ... but in my mind's eye ... this one is gonna be here for quite some time.

Neko

Offline SmurfButcher Bob

• Site Dev
  • X-Man Mentor
  • Captain Obvious
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2006, 11:52:20 PM »
*chuckles* I know this site has had issues, and gone through some stuff to be around ...

Uh, this site has been around for less than a week, dear :)
"The true definition of Madness is repeating the same action, over and over, hoping for a different result." - Einstein

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2006, 12:24:38 AM »
this site maybe new .. to you.  But for the rest of us, its been around awhile. oh the cute bickering begins.  LOL

Neko

Offline Spectrum

• Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2006, 01:32:01 AM »
Ha. Does anyone recall how many members the last incarnation had on its forums?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2006, 09:39:20 AM »
I'm not sure, I'd like to think it was atleast 100 or more.  But if I remember correctly the  site kept going down and it seemed like we were always resigning up.

I'm hoping that this service I've purchased will not fail like that.  And on the plus side, everything is backed up.   ;D  So, if there is a failure we don't lose everything.

Neko
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 11:29:31 AM by Nekobaghira »

LadyTwist

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2006, 10:56:11 AM »
Hi, everyone!
I'm SO glad to see the site back up! I'd just found it when it before, and was poking around when it ... well ... vanished. So, of course, I never posted on the old boards. (Too busy poking around the rest of the site before.  ;) )

Offline SmurfButcher Bob

• Site Dev
  • X-Man Mentor
  • Captain Obvious
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2006, 12:02:57 AM »
Well for what it's worth, I'm an Admin-nazi in real life (not a total user's nightmare, but almost ;) ). This site will be a bit of a management challenge, because it's a shared host... and I can't take a chainsaw to it like I would a real enterprise box, and I really cannot see what's going on with with the guts at any given time. My instincts tell me that the biggest issue will be managing the quotas that the site plan allows... and (like anything) that'll mean a tradeoff between usefulness and availability.

As a guess, I've implemented some basic "duh" tradeoffs, already... for example, we won't need to worry burning our transfer allocations by serving images/avatars to the MySpace crowd or parasite webs, because I've configged this to disallow sending images if the requesting page isn't on this site. Obviously, that goes directly toward our availability - but it somewhat sucks for a member who wants to show a graphic on another board.  That'd be the other board's problem, in my book - my job is to keep this site available for use, and keep it useful when used. Likewise, guests cannot really view the galleries - all we need is one Googlebot to start harvesting images, and we'll have an issue.

Until the wife says otherwise, that is. :)  For some things, we can just throw money at it, if the usefulness is worth it (like the gallery).  As always, there is a balance to be struck... the site's availability is moot if it doesn't do what ya'all need. If you need something, just ask - the worst that can happen is I force your color scheme to be flashing yellow text on a hot-green background for a few days...

In other news, Spectrum had me hack up a copy of this theme over the weekend - basically, it's black text on light greys.  If desired, you can preview or select it in your profile options.

Offline aethena

• Thief's Apprentice
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2006, 01:56:19 AM »
I missed the Guild, and I am really glad to see it back.  Thanks to everyone who is working hard on setting this site back up. 
Have Fun,
   Enjoy Life,
      and Don't Get Lost. 

Aethena