Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1106170 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #1935 on: October 12, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »

Loving the new design so much and it is always good to see Gambit showing off his skills.

I agree. That costumes are very very good.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1936 on: October 12, 2018, 01:36:35 PM »
Artwork looks really good, especially in that two page spread. Almost elegant.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1937 on: October 12, 2018, 03:07:40 PM »
dunno if it was mentioned but Gambit appears in the last page of X23 at Laura and the clones birthday party, its from behind but its definatly gotta be him, he and the hone badger are just staring at one another i dont know why its so funny but it is imo

Offline albahan888

• Master Thief
« Reply #1938 on: October 14, 2018, 05:22:11 AM »
I have a response ....... give me a day. I like our discussion  - and thank you in advance.

Edit: Guess I don't have a response; you aren't wrong. It's all true, and I don't mind being the kettle.

I had a longer response but after typing it out and all that, I changed my mind. I can't justify anyone's wasted time on it. LOL

I'm only buying art (cover art), that is the best I can do for support.

Like I said that's fine. I don't even read or buy the comics anymore (outside of that one recent exception) because I guess I have a weird fandom for Gambit where even though he's my favorite I think my favorite version of him is one with Rogue involved or at least a possibility because I like him with her and as a hero and also for some reason Rogue's the only thing that anyone seems to let tie him to being one of the X-Men or a hero anymore. Plus I really just got sick of Marvel after One More Day so when they also tanked Gambit and Rogue and especially the way they did I personally had no more reason to support their comics. I might pick Mr. And Mrs. X up in trade sometime but I don't think it's sounded as interesting or big as suddenly Gambit and Rogue are married in order to warrant me breaking my boycott, for lack of a better word, again. Certainly not anytime soon at least.

Just figured I'd point out that's how you treat Gambit in regards to Rogue and that's not a bad thing just a different side of the same coin. Everybody's fans of things for different reasons and I always feel like I have some weird abomination of a Gambit in my mind hearing how a lot of other fans describe him and what they like about him. Also, especially since the miniseries was apparently supposed to end them 'for good' as much as that's ever a thing in comics, I feel like once Mr. And Mrs. X is done Romy probably will be too. Hopefully I'm wrong because that would be just as silly but I haven't understood what Marvel's been up to for a long time now.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1939 on: October 14, 2018, 03:57:42 PM »
This is a long post, you've been warned. I'll probably edit for spelling and dropped words, hoping not so bad you can't get my meaning. Okay, on with the show.

Like I said that's fine. I don't even read or buy the comics anymore (outside of that one recent exception) because I guess I have a weird fandom for Gambit where even though he's my favorite I think my favorite version of him is one with Rogue involved or at least a possibility because I like him with her and as a hero and also for some reason Rogue's the only thing that anyone seems to let tie him to being one of the X-Men or a hero anymore.

That is a sad thing, isn't it? The only thing tying Gambit to the Xmen is Rogue? That should never have been the case and that is on Marvel. I've said this plenty of times, there is more to Gambit than Rogue. It's Marvel's inability to show the hero side of Gambit. And when they do tie him to Xmen, there is so much interference and ego from  all involved, you get nothing out of it.

Gambit's relationship with Wolverine, Iceman, Storm, X23, Jean and Cyke shouldn't be non-existent. He shouldn't need to be attached to Rogue to be a hero.

What's wrong is never actually developing Gambit beyond a solo or mini and actually building the friendships. One of my favorite bromance is Wolverine and Gambit  - they had a mini together and when they stole the Batmobile, I laughed so much. Liu had them go on a road trip and I enjoyed that too.

Plus I really just got sick of Marvel after One More Day so when they also tanked Gambit and Rogue and especially the way they did I personally had no more reason to support their comics. I might pick Mr. And Mrs. X up in trade sometime but I don't think it's sounded as interesting or big as suddenly Gambit and Rogue are married in order to warrant me breaking my boycott, for lack of a better word, again. Certainly not anytime soon at least.

I feel like the mini was approximately 20 years too late or at least for me. The mini clean up should have happened long ago to make the series actually make sense now. Having ups and downs would have been tolerable had the clean up actually happened when it needed to be. IMO. The divide between the groups may not be a strong as it is today had that happened but that is speculation on my part.

Just figured I'd point out that's how you treat Gambit in regards to Rogue and that's not a bad thing just a different side of the same coin. Everybody's fans of things for different reasons and I always feel like I have some weird abomination of a Gambit in my mind hearing how a lot of other fans describe him and what they like about him. Also, especially since the miniseries was apparently supposed to end them 'for good' as much as that's ever a thing in comics, I feel like once Mr. And Mrs. X is done Romy probably will be too. Hopefully I'm wrong because that would be just as silly but I haven't understood what Marvel's been up to for a long time now.

I recognized I'm the flip side of a coin, no different from the other side in views. The divide has been around a long time and there will be those two sides who never see eye to eye on the romy thing. Just the way it is, I'm used to it. The band aid of the mini or this series isn't going to fix what Marvel should have done long ago.

You did bring up a good point, once this all said and done, it could easily be ignored for whatever the next writer wants to do.

As long as there are writers who want to pair Rogue up with their favorite (KT included), then Rogue is also reduced to love interest, her camp isn't wrong there. Gambit is also not in a good place either because once Rogue is moved to another book, he gets sidelined.

I want a buddy book, if this can be done well on TV, it really shouldn't be so hard for a comic book. I read romance novels for hea's and romance and its done far better than a comic could ever do. That includes sci-fi or fantasy elements in the stories. There may be some ups and downs between the couple but in general, better written.

In the end, those who love this series, enjoy this book.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1940 on: October 14, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
Gambit don't need Rogue to be a hero and it was shown in MMX 3 pretty well.

Cyke and Wolverine are dead.
Gambit interacted with Jean in RED. Not a lot but he did and without Rogue.
With X-23 Gambit also interacted in all her solos and X-Men Annual.
With Storm only small moments but mostly always shown as good friends when together.

Gambit and Iceman never were really close.

Gambit in MMX is good and much better then in Astonishing, RED or any other last books with Gambit. Issue 3 and even previews for #4 shows it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 04:24:03 PM by purplevit »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1941 on: October 14, 2018, 07:43:43 PM »
Oh good grief. Please don't be offended. This was why I wasn't going to spend time on any of this.
I listed what I'd like or how I view Gambit, I apologize for not saying that specifically.

:D

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1942 on: October 14, 2018, 09:00:23 PM »
That's the thing; there is so much more to Gambit. Asmus proved in my opinion that Gambit can thrive away from the X-Men or exist on the outskirts of their world. But you know what Marvel does? Slice off pieces of him and graft them onto other characters, and take chunks of his lore and add them to characters that have absolutely nothing do with it. Or take what makes him the coolest and water it down so much, it becomes a running joke. I think it goes to editorial allowing writers that are still jaded by their love of the 80s and disappointment of not seeing their favorites in the X-Men series take out their frustrations on the characters they see as the reason. Basically ignoring the amount of fandom he and others of his ilk.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1943 on: October 15, 2018, 03:40:05 AM »
Oh good grief. Please don't be offended. This was why I wasn't going to spend time on any of this.
I listed what I'd like or how I view Gambit, I apologize for not saying that specifically.

:D

I am not offended. Sorry if my reply was bad. I apologize. Never meant anything bad.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1944 on: October 15, 2018, 12:37:01 PM »

I am not offended. Sorry if my reply was bad. I apologize. Never meant anything bad.
All good Purp, and thanks.

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #1945 on: October 15, 2018, 01:34:36 PM »
#X-MenMonday

KT: "Big changes coming in #MrAndMrsX #4 this week. It's #XMenMonday, kids! #Rogue #Gambit Art by @obazaldua and Frank D'Armata."

Ummm... it seems they're on opposite sides.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:45:27 PM by andresa »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1946 on: October 15, 2018, 03:22:23 PM »
#X-MenMonday

KT: "Big changes coming in #MrAndMrsX #4 this week. It's #XMenMonday, kids! #Rogue #Gambit Art by @obazaldua and Frank D'Armata."

Ummm... it seems they're on opposite sides.

Maybe they are choosing what to do with Xandra and she may be really dangerous.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1947 on: October 15, 2018, 03:23:27 PM »

Anonymous asked:
1) Will Gambit and Gladiator encounter each other again? 2) Will Gambit remind him that he won?

1) Gladiator is the Majestor of the Shi’ar Empire, he doesn’t get involved in fights of the punching kind (probably why he doesn’t love being Majestor).

2) Of course he would.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1948 on: October 15, 2018, 05:56:30 PM »
Anonymous:[/size]1) Will Gambit and Gladiator encounter each other again? 2) Will Gambit remind him that he won?KT: 1) Gladiator is the Majestor of the Shi’ar Empire, he doesn’t get involved in fights of the punching kind (probably why he doesn’t love being Majestor). 2) Of course he would.[/color]

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1949 on: October 16, 2018, 03:47:22 AM »
Don, you should better close your eyes ;D  MMX 6