Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1105420 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #2100 on: November 25, 2018, 07:32:14 PM »
Interesting.

You know that I like MMX much more so I will make more positive view of it :)

I don't agree that it has no characterisation for Gambit. Let's start ;)

Writing this from memory so I could forgot smth.

MMX 1

Gambit is reunited and supported by his friends with whom he hadn't spoken (some of them) for years.
Small but good lines with Storm, X-23, Bishop (More dialogue then Soule did for them in 12 AXM issues) , Bling (he was her mentor and I doubt that they would talk again in any other book) .

Normal action fight with Imperial Gurad.

MMX 2

Fine thieving skills with lockpic.
Twice blown up Deadpool.

Agile and cool fight with Space aliens.

MMX 3
Just amazing issue. Neko, you will like it!

Gambit makes plan how to defeat space ship that attacks them. Lead Deadpool to a fight. 2 dps of grwat fight. Wade is injured in fight twice but Gambit dodged everything. Cool ralk with Deathbird where he frightens her and she go away. He stos ship. Best Gambit in years.

Big characterisation at the end of issue where he told Rogue about his motives and moral compass.

MMX 4

Great skills ans plan where he makes escape from prison. One of the best Gambit scenss ever.

Not so much after this. Injured by Deathbird in a lame way.

MMX 5

Not a fan of issue. Kinda did nothing to save the day.
Had small but still cool fight.

Was shown as good husband I guess. Well, it is a book about new husband and wife after all.

I'm actually starting to think that KT has no idea how to end an arc with these two. Two arcs under her pen and they both ended on a "meh" with some interesting parts.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2101 on: November 25, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »

I will take good fights over characterization, now.

Gambit best fights were years ago in a books that current writers won't even read to macke a character study.
He need new stable fights to show how cool, agile and great h2h he is.

Of course good characterization he also needs.

All I can say to this is … WOW - Gambit needs both. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:59:27 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #2102 on: November 25, 2018, 08:02:05 PM »
I'd appreciate it... If you guys didn't bring up X-Factor. Such a wasteful usage of paper.

Same. And PAD's blaming the Gambit fans for its failure was the cherry on top of that failure sundae.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2103 on: November 26, 2018, 01:17:11 AM »

All I can say to this is … WOW - Gambit needs both. 

Of course both ;)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2104 on: November 26, 2018, 01:18:58 AM »

I'm actually starting to think that KT has no idea how to end an arc with these two. Two arcs under her pen and they both ended on a "meh" with some interesting parts.

Yeah. It seems arc ending isn't her strongest side as writer.

Bur I think it is a problem with a lot of writers, really.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2105 on: November 26, 2018, 02:34:12 AM »

I wonder .. is it because of panel space, do they (writer and all) need to manage it better- knowing you only have so much space to work with a thing.

As a group, we've noticed failed endings often. In many books - maybe the short arc isn't the way to go for some of these stories.

I don't know, but pondering the ideas is good. LOL
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 02:38:00 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2106 on: November 26, 2018, 06:16:56 AM »

Just to bring up John Layman again, I have criticised his 'Gambit' run in the past. But just to be fair (because I don't want to sound too anti-Layman) I've looked at some of his other works, one of them being 'Chew'...and it's quite good, and got a lot of great reviews as well (and rightfully so).

But...

...honestly his 'Gambit' was very poor. In his opening interview he mentioned being inspired by Paris Hilton sex tapes...that's already a bad start. As much of a flirt Gambit is, the Lili Penrose plot was very out-of-character...heavily implied that he was cheating, and it's hard to root for a character that acts that way. Then he did a zombie arc because you know everyone was writing zombies at the time...and just followed that trend. That's all I remember from it, because it was a forgettable series. I even did the unthinkable and dropped it after 8 issues, I always support Gambit books, but it was just that bad.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 08:38:17 AM by Sparta »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2107 on: November 26, 2018, 06:52:26 AM »

Endings are the toughest part of writing. Very hard to pull off...

Character-balance aside, when I critique a book, it's always story first. The fault in R&G's ending was that it probably needed just 4 issues instead of 5, and Dr Brand should've been the main antagonist, in fact maybe not have Lavish at all and give her abilities to Dr Brand because she had more panel-time and was a more interesting character than Lavish herself...instead of just being a golem.

With MMX, it was a big story, action-packed, character-driven, Xandra and Cerise were very good supporting characters, Deadpool was a good guest star as was the Technet and Imperial Guard, Deathbird is (arguably) in the top 10 most prominent X-Men villains, she was a good choice. I loved the scope of it, however the ending felt like an ending to a 2nd act. It probably needed another 2 issues to give it a better ending rather than finishing it off with just an illusion. It needed a better final showdown with Deathbird and co.

That said, I certainly had my money's worth in both arcs. A lot of fun.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2108 on: November 26, 2018, 08:23:41 AM »
I'm looking forward to the next issue as it seems to be the gateway for the next arc. It looks to be centered around their holiday/engagement party and KT excells in that "slice of life" style of story and I can't wait to read more interactions between the two and the other X-Men.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2109 on: November 26, 2018, 09:30:26 AM »
I'm looking forward to the next issue as it seems to be the gateway for the next arc. It looks to be centered around their holiday/engagement party and KT excells in that "slice of life" style of story and I can't wait to read more interactions between the two and the other X-Men.

Yeah. I wasn to see more Gambit/Bishop interaction.

Excited for Guilds the most.

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #2110 on: November 26, 2018, 01:49:20 PM »
Ooh, what happened?
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2111 on: November 26, 2018, 02:27:04 PM »
Ooh, what happened?

Nothing yet, but the next arc is supposed to deal with the Guilds. The next issue is probably going to seed a few things for that. I assume anyway. It'll revolve around their holiday/engagement party, but I suspect it's more of a vehicle to explore reactions to their wedding now that the dust has cleared.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2112 on: November 26, 2018, 02:56:46 PM »
Hard to say how much panel-time the Guilds will get, though there is strong evidence that Belladonna will antagonise Gambit. Jean-Luc should be in this too, it is a family moment. However I expect the X-Men to play a larger part, simply because they are a bigger drawcard (and that's why they're on the cover). On a personal note, I'm not too fussed about the Guilds simply because I've never ever read a good story based on the them, but that's just me. Though I do like the idea of Belladonna trolling...

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2113 on: November 26, 2018, 04:02:04 PM »

Nothing yet, but the next arc is supposed to deal with the Guilds. The next issue is probably going to seed a few things for that. I assume anyway. It'll revolve around their holiday/engagement party, but I suspect it's more of a vehicle to explore reactions to their wedding now that the dust has cleared.

Next arc will be Mojoverse. Guilds will be issues 11 and 12.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2114 on: November 26, 2018, 04:03:25 PM »

Next arc will be Mojoverse. Guilds will be issues 11 and 12.

That far away? That's an arc away! I thought the guilds came first!