Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098557 times)

Offline mythogma

• Outcast
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2015, 11:07:05 AM »
Honestly again I am not into the complex, I just can't get behind it or even care for it myself. I will judge the books based on the books itself not a solicit(half the time there wrong) I want to give the book and the new writers a shot before I pass judgement on there work. They are aloud to have a chance, everyone deserves one no matter what. You and a lot of the other complexers have your mind set and nothing will change your mind, even if the stories are great I doubt any of you will like them. Once again about the comic-con people are human and humans can and are aloud to get tired and even have a bad moment. I am not one to expect writers and artists to be lively all the time especially after dealing with what they have to deal with at a comic con. Once again I have my opinion and you have yours and I really doubt we will change are minds so before this gets out of hand I am stepping back.
Gambit: "Psychologist?"
Brother Voodoo: "In out brief time together, I've seen evidence of a personality type that is narcissistic, kletomaniacal, pathological, adrenaline-addicted, anti-athority, and given to reckless suicidal tendencies. No offense to you, Remy. But a super hero that moonlights as a thief? Dude...you have issues!"
(Gambit OG 2 #12)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »
Ummm... Not the argumentative type, I like discussion, debate, open conversation; this doesn't get personal for me, but the complex? What does this have to do with complex? Doesn't that involve Marvel trying to erase the X-Men? I don't believe that's the case, they make up too much of their annual comic sales. It's foolish. If your talking about my point of the changes in status quo, well those aren't speculations, its actually slated to occur. There's no mind changing going in here, just my opinion of how business in a free market should occur.

But like I said, I'm not saying the upcoming books are going to suck. But me and a lot of folk on this board aren't too interested in what's being offered. Don't trust the solicits, ok they aren't 100% accurate all the time, but are still put out by the company that makes them. How true they are is up to them. Cons and Panels are their place to straighten out misinformation, but instead it was lifeless and cryptic. Besides the solicits, remember the little mini previews that were "leaked" months ago with each new book's cover art (Remember when everyone thought Gambit was going to be de-aged and attached Daredevil?) with bylines? Most of the times trailers and photos are leaked its just the companies trying to gauge interest. Maybe that was the case this time, maybe not. They can't get upset over fan opinion on something they gave to the fans to have an opinion on.

Im not a "complexer" though the thread can be entertaining to pop in on and stir the pot (I do this... Like playing with ants) ;) . But to each, their own.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:19:34 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »
At the end of the day, Marvel is under no obligation to be happy happy joy joy with fans and there is certainly a subset of fans that seem entitled and think that Marvel needs to cater to them.  The fact is comics are no longer Marvel's meal ticket so if they don't want to play nice with fans, they don't have to.  Just as you don't have to buy their comics.  Whether you think it's good business or not is irrelevant really.  Until such time that Marvel's alleged attitude to fans impacts their bottom line signifcantly, they have no incentive to play nice.

"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2015, 06:04:22 PM »
At the end of the day, Marvel is under no obligation to be happy happy joy joy with fans and there is certainly a subset of fans that seem entitled and think that Marvel needs to cater to them.  The fact is comics are no longer Marvel's meal ticket so if they don't want to play nice with fans, they don't have to.  Just as you don't have to buy their comics.  Whether you think it's good business or not is irrelevant really.  Until such time that Marvel's alleged attitude to fans impacts their bottom line signifcantly, they have no incentive to play nice.

Well seeing readership drops every year despite their attempts to bolster them, I guess fan reaction/ interaction is as much a factor in their sales as any... Outside of the amount of readers  vs cost of the average book leveraged against general interest. But what you are saying is true, they aren't obligated to play nice or interact with fans, or even provide information about their products, but it definitely is counter productive when attending a fan/press reliant event. If they have no interest in being there why not just do as they've several times this year and not have X-Men panel? Well they have one because one would assume they want the press and perhaps even goodwill in hopes you spend your money. NYCC is one of the biggest conventions and most Marvel centric events of the year, next to D3 now. Not saying this was some kind of disaster PR move, or even all that bad, just not the most enthusiastic of showings.

But again, your right. Comics aren't their biggest seller anymore. They'd move on just fine without it or our poultry dollars. So, question is, despite the pessimism, why are we still here?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:12:10 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2015, 10:26:09 AM »
Gambit throwing some cards and... Kissing Rogue simultaneously? A-Forces (SW. TIE IN FINALE). A-Forces vs Marvel Zombies...

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2015, 10:37:41 AM »
Interesting if it was artist idea or writer wrote such scene into script. I think artist.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2015, 03:24:58 PM »
Well seeing readership drops every year despite their attempts to bolster them, I guess fan reaction/ interaction is as much a factor in their sales as any... Outside of the amount of readers  vs cost of the average book leveraged against general interest. But what you are saying is true, they aren't obligated to play nice or interact with fans, or even provide information about their products, but it definitely is counter productive when attending a fan/press reliant event. If they have no interest in being there why not just do as they've several times this year and not have X-Men panel? Well they have one because one would assume they want the press and perhaps even goodwill in hopes you spend your money. NYCC is one of the biggest conventions and most Marvel centric events of the year, next to D3 now. Not saying this was some kind of disaster PR move, or even all that bad, just not the most enthusiastic of showings.

But again, your right. Comics aren't their biggest seller anymore. They'd move on just fine without it or our poultry dollars. So, question is, despite the pessimism, why are we still here?

They attend these events because it's expected.  But other than that, they are pretty much just going through the motions.  Seems pretty obvious to me, they are not hugely invested in the idea of marketing this stuff aggressively to fans and they will do just enough to basically get a C-.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline dieCG

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2015, 02:38:26 AM »

We pray attend in vague hopes that Marvel will acquire an editor in chief that cares about production values, and pandering to the fans to fill the idea of a proper business model. Bob Harris may have been an ass, but he was an ass that knew how to run a business. He kept his authors in a row, and crossed his t s', and dotted his i s'. He paid attention to demand, and the whims of the fans. And this was before the internet. So he actually worked at finding out what the fans wanted. Ever since Joe Quesada took over, it's just been downhill for Marvel. Between having to go bankrupt at trying to have their own distributing company, to being a fanboy that wants authors to focus on the characters he likes, and hiring authors that are yes men. And dismissing anyone that steps a toe out of line, or suggests a different angle. Quesada is an egomanic of what he wants. Harris was and egomaniac of proper business, and catering to the masses, and making his authors accountable to keeping their stories and characters straight.

Honestly, I think it's too late. And I don't know if Disney cares... But Quesada needs to go so that a proper business oriented editor in chief can come in that cares about figures based on fans.

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2015, 05:04:23 AM »
While the medium of comics may be slowly being whittled away story telling isn't :). Disney and Marvel still have excellent opportunities to translate X-men into other mediums while still giving the core comic experience TAS, EVO, WATX and the movies heck digital distribution prove that. The x-men and what they represent is timeless I'm going to be sure I pass them on in some form to my children and ensure it goes at least another generation :). While I hope comics are around for much Longer than that I kind of believe the X-men will outlive the format and their stories will continue on well after.

Speaking of such things imagine re-living your favorite x-men tales in a VR world I am excited for the future of story telling :).

On a separate note what is the A- Force gambit appearance people are talking about?

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2015, 08:24:09 AM »
It's part of The Secret Wars crossover event. Each comic is its own self contained world.created by Doom. Most worlds have doppelgangers of characters in all the other worlds, which is why you'll see different versions of Gambit, Captain Marvel, Spider Man etc in each world. A-Force is a book about a world called Arcadia currently led by that worlds version of She Hulk, A-Force is the name of the all women hero team that protects the realm. Like X-Men 92, it's going to become an ongoing Avenger's book following Secret Wars end, but like it, will be a main universe series.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2015, 10:40:42 AM »
On a separate note what is the A- Force gambit appearance people are talking about?

Scroll up 3 posts from yours to Don's.  Its only a cameo. :) There is an image posted.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:05:08 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2015, 03:09:52 PM »
I do not remeber us celebrating Gambit`s 25th Birthday. Or maybe I am mistaken :(

Happy 25th Birthday, Gambit by Brett White, Jun 19, 2015

http://marvel.com/cards/148/happy_25th_birthday_gambit

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2015, 03:34:33 PM »
Nope we didn't.  And 25 years! Goodness, we'll need to keep up better.

However, Jun 19th is an odd date to choose.  Gambit's first appearance was August 15th 1990 - that was the release date of UXM #266. 

We can still celebrate -  images, and fun stuff from now to the end of the year!

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2015, 03:59:26 PM »
I like this idea ;)

But for good celebration we need a tasty cake ;D

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »
Nice cake! Good idea Purplevit.  I'll even put a thing up on the marquee.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:12:43 PM by Nekobaghira »