Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098361 times)

Offline Gambit4love1

• Guild Scholar
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2016, 10:16:47 AM »
I would love to them do a storyline that involved Gambits real parents or where he came from???

They have never really explored that part of him and there is such a big opportunity to make a great story.
Gambit
Redhood
Winter Soldier

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2016, 10:50:15 AM »
While I think Duggan could write Gambit, there is nothing in his response that would indicate anything. Its a positive answer that says nothing. Fluff, imo.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2016, 12:08:42 PM »
Yeah I don't trust the dude after what just happened.  The fact that he seems to get a kick out of people like me being upset just adds to that!

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
Yeah I don't trust the dude after what just happened.  The fact that he seems to get a kick out of people like me being upset just adds to that!

I don't think he got a "kick out of it", but as a writer of an action book, getting an emotional response from the reader, even a negative one, isnt necessarily a bad thing. It means he made you care about what he wrote. I do think what he should have done after yanking our chain, whether intentional or not, he should have been a little more forthcoming with his audience, especially a gun-shy one like Gambit fans. For instance, give the readers a sure sign that it'll be revisited with the real Gambit's involvement during an interview. Or perhaps take it a step further and insert a prologue of Gambit elsewhere so we know he at least exists within the book's scope.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2016, 03:04:50 PM »
I don't think he got a "kick out of it", but as a writer of an action book, getting an emotional response from the reader, even a negative one, isnt necessarily a bad thing. It means he made you care about what he wrote. I do think what he should have done after yanking our chain, whether intentional or not, he should have been a little more forthcoming with his audience, especially a gun-shy one like Gambit fans. For instance, give the readers a sure sign that it'll be revisited with the real Gambit's involvement during an interview. Or perhaps take it a step further and insert a prologue of Gambit elsewhere so we know he at least exists within the book's scope.

The problem is though, if he was aiming to get an emotional response from us, it was a cheap and meaningless way of doing it.  He knows how desperate we are to see Gambit, so he (or Marvel, whatever) promises us Gambit, advertises Gambit, uses Gambit as a means of selling the book, only for it not to be Gambit.  Winding people up and uses dirty tricks to make them angry isn't very creative or meaningful.  Making us sad, happy, upset or anything like that and getting an emotional response through storytelling, that's another thing. 

Now maybe he actually has a Gambit story up his sleeve.  Then I'll eat my words.  I'll happily eat them.  Seeing is believing though. 

Offline couplestherapy

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2016, 03:08:18 PM »
When I saw that, I was thinking of it as "issue" statement. Like he could be in more than one issue of a book...such as Uncanny Avengers. I would happily be wrong if it means we get to see him in a couple books. (Disclaimer: marvel has the ability to make me eat my words and regret being excited about him being in any book.)

Seeing all of Duggan'a responses including those on Twitter, I think it makes sense to expect The real gambit to pop up at some point in UA. Could be 8 or 9 since those are supposed to be big rogue issues. (Which I get is not comforting for many of you.)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 03:18:32 PM by couplestherapy »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2016, 06:29:39 PM »
The problem is though, if he was aiming to get an emotional response from us, it was a cheap and meaningless way of doing it.  He knows how desperate we are to see Gambit, so he (or Marvel, whatever) promises us Gambit, advertises Gambit, uses Gambit as a means of selling the book, only for it not to be Gambit.  Winding people up and uses dirty tricks to make them angry isn't very creative or meaningful.  Making us sad, happy, upset or anything like that and getting an emotional response through storytelling, that's another thing. 

Now maybe he actually has a Gambit story up his sleeve.  Then I'll eat my words.  I'll happily eat them.  Seeing is believing though. 

That's your fault though not his.  Again, comics have always had stories that had bait and switch or imposters.  The idea that Duggan can't tell a story with imposters simply because Gambit fans are dying for Gambit is just odd to me.  There was nothing dirty about having RS impersonate Gambit.  It fit within the story he crafted. 

Are we going to say a story can never have an imposter or a bait and switch or does this rule only apply to Gambit?
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2016, 09:03:38 PM »
That's your fault though not his.  Again, comics have always had stories that had bait and switch or imposters.  The idea that Duggan can't tell a story with imposters simply because Gambit fans are dying for Gambit is just odd to me.  There was nothing dirty about having RS impersonate Gambit.  It fit within the story he crafted.

Are we going to say a story can never have an imposter or a bait and switch or does this rule only apply to Gambit?

The issue is that it went beyond storytelling. The book was marketed in a manner that basically said this was Gambit, not foreshadowing and plot developments in the issue before or heck, during it. So no, not Duggan's doing, but id say the marketing staff that wrote the solicits, had the cover drawn, plastered it with Gambit's signature logo, and wrote things like "Gambit makes his move!" on it got one over on us.

Not to mention they released that cover a little sooner than they normally do (it did its job LOL). Another thing that got me, at least now, was the "friend or foe" thing. His allegiance never came into question during the story... And his attentions were made clear with one or two sentences. That tells you the solicits and the writer didn't have too much correspondence. They made us question his allegiance not his Identity.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2016, 10:52:14 PM »
There are two sides to every story.  From the perspective of a Gambit fan, it sucks.  From the perspective of Marvel, it makes perfect sense to market it as a Gambit appearance to maintain the secret that it's not and to make it more surprising when it's revealed.  I mean the latter is kind of the point of a story of this nature ie to fool people in thinking it's Gambit until the big reveal that it's not.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #219 on: February 11, 2016, 04:45:36 AM »
That's your fault though not his.  Again, comics have always had stories that had bait and switch or imposters.  The idea that Duggan can't tell a story with imposters simply because Gambit fans are dying for Gambit is just odd to me.  There was nothing dirty about having RS impersonate Gambit.  It fit within the story he crafted.  

I know you love an argument dude. But you've missed our point regarding emotional responses.  From the marketing machine's perspective aye, use Gambit to sell a book.  That's just dirty marketing tricks though, that's nothing to do with story.  Is a "story of this nature" there to lure fans into buying the book because they think it's something that it's not?  

You're right.  There's nothing wrong with the story itself.  Sure, make readers think Gambit has shown up only to reveal it's an imposter.  That's not a bad story point in any way. What we're saying is that the lead up to this story was cheap.  They've used bait and switch tactics on us and then gone "don't be mad bro, this is how storytelling works!".

Would I have been annoyed if, without a marketing campaign that made us believe the real Gambit is back,  suddenly Gambit had shown up and it turned out to be RS? No, absolutely not.  It probably would've tickled me greatly and I'd be saying "man, I wish Duggan would actually write the real Gambit, he's quite good with the character".

Edit:  Just realised I've only repeated what Don said only less eloquently.  Sorry mate  :P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 04:49:39 AM by Spoonz »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #220 on: February 11, 2016, 10:42:27 AM »
So just so I am clear, you wanted them to keep Gambit in the story but then not market it at all?  And let's suppose they did that and Bleeding Cool or someone leaked that Gambit would be in UA 5.  Then with no marketing leading up to it, Gambit fans would complain about how Gambit gets no respect as he is reuniting with Rogue in UA 5 and Marvel isn't marketing it at all.  Point being it's a catch 22.  Someone was always going to be pissed no matter how this book was marketed. 

And It's not a dirty trick.  It is their job to sell books as well as maintain the illusion it is Gambit.  The fact Gambit fans keep falling for their marketing is more reason for them to keep doing it.  Instead of complaining about marketing doing what they are employed to do, maybe stop giving them a reason to do what they did. 

I mean holy crap they told everyone that fans would be upset and yet no one thought to proceed with caution?  That was as big of a heads up you are ever going to get from Marvel and yet people still ran out and got the issue first day so honestly as I said it's your own fault (speaking generally).  Stop giving them your money until you are sure you will be satisfied with the product.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #221 on: February 11, 2016, 11:53:56 AM »
So just so I am clear, you wanted them to keep Gambit in the story but then not market it at all? 

No, not at all.  Because Gambit wasn't in the story.  And they told us that Gambit would be in the story. 

Anyway, whatever else I say is going to be repeating myself and I'm not as good as you guys at verbal swordplay. Plus we've totally derailed this thread! ;D

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #222 on: February 11, 2016, 11:56:42 AM »
For those who like tpb, the Star-Lord & Kitty Pryde Battleworld which does feature Gambit is collected and available.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #223 on: February 11, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »
No, not at all.  Because Gambit wasn't in the story.  And they told us that Gambit would be in the story. 

Anyway, whatever else I say is going to be repeating myself and I'm not as good as you guys at verbal swordplay. Plus we've totally derailed this thread! ;D

I guess my point is simply once the decision was made to use RS Gambit then obviously they would market it as a Gambit appearance to conceal that fact.  That's the nature of the beast.

But fair enough, agree to disagree.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #224 on: February 11, 2016, 01:49:50 PM »
To be fair, they didn't specify which fans would be upset. Because we're the punching bags of fandom lately, we assumed it would be us, but hoped otherwise... Sadly, we were wrong. Well most of us. Apparently there's a small minority that got a kick out of it.