Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098339 times)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #660 on: February 07, 2017, 01:09:04 PM »
Love the cover, don't trust GUUUUUGGENHEIIIIIIIIIIM or editorial. As long as he's not the heel of the story... Or the idiot, or the wimp or whatever nonsense trope they've forced on him since 2004.

Yup, we agree again. Don't trust much about this book at all really. I'm probably going to wait to see what his role is before purchasing. If it's a one and done, I probably won't bother because the book isn't THAT appealing to me. If he sticks around, then I'll probably pick it up.
Who Dat

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #661 on: February 07, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »
it was like the first interior page of UXM 381 that had Gambits hand holding Cards of his team mates in a similar fashion, im hoping he is not the bad guy and myabe the previous artwork is part from this issue where he is holding a vile , i have a bit of fait in Ketchum he was the editor on Asmus's run

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #662 on: February 07, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »
I never heard Gugenheim saying smth bad about Gambit so I am positive :)
Remender, Wood or Bendis as writers would be a trouble.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:38:14 PM by purplevit »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #663 on: February 08, 2017, 07:00:02 AM »
If you read preview for issue then there is nothing more inside of All New Wolverine #17 for a Gambit fan.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:03:27 AM by purplevit »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #664 on: February 08, 2017, 08:36:43 AM »
There is no need to go to the shop early for me. Ah well, that is too bad.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #665 on: February 08, 2017, 08:39:52 AM »
If you read preview for issue then there is nothing more inside of All New Wolverine #17 for a Gambit fan.

theres a tiny bit more but nothing to be excited about, art is dreadful

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #666 on: February 08, 2017, 09:17:05 AM »
http://www.cbr.com/gambit-15-most-charming-moments/

from CBR

How the #_@$ does the Captain America fight even rank on this list, much less #2?!
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #667 on: February 08, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »
How the #_@$ does the Captain America fight even rank on this list, much less #2?!

i agree but its all from their opinion, i know i hate it for the sheer oneside..ed....ness of the whole thing, but their take is interesting

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #668 on: February 08, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »

Cap fight as#2 really felt like trolling when fight with Wolverine is at the end of list.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #669 on: February 08, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
i agree but its all from their opinion, i know i hate it for the sheer oneside..ed....ness of the whole thing, but their take is interesting

How the @#@$ is Gambit getting uncharacteristically knocked the @#$@ out by someone running directly at him charming exactly? To anyone? They recognize the fact that he's taken on a man in Wolverine that has beaten Captain America to within an inch of his life, and freakin' Gladiator, our closest comparison to Superman (before we got Sentry and Hyperion) but say Gambit's arrogance or overconfidence got the best of him which led to his defeat? I can count on one hand with three fingers to spare where I can remember him being overconfident in battle, it's hardly a character trait worth highlighting when trying to justify that Avengers fluff piece of a story. Nick Fury says he's one of the best hand to hand fighters he's ever seen, Iron Man's computers can't keep him targeted, he catches Spiderman off guard (HIS POWER IS TO NOT LET YOU CATCH HIM OFF GUARD!) while fighting him hand to hand, and fights Daredevil and Blade to draws; but Captain America can fight him while not even paying attention to him?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:43:57 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #670 on: February 08, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »
How the @#@$ is Gambit getting uncharacteristically knocked the @#$@ out by someone running directly at him charming exactly? To anyone? They recognize the fact that he's taken on a man in Wolverine that has beaten Captain America to within an inch of his life, and freakin' Gladiator, our closest comparison to Superman (before we got Sentry and Hyperion) but say Gambit's arrogance or overconfidence got the best of him which led to his defeat? I can count on one hand with three fingers to spare where I can remember him being overconfident in battle, it's hardly a character trait worth highlighting when trying to justify that Avengers fluff piece of a story. Nick Fury says he's one of the best hand to hand fighters he's ever seen, Iron Man's computers can't keep him targeted, he catches Spiderman off guard (HIS POWER IS TO NOT LET YOU CATCH HIM OFF GUARD!) while fighting him hand to hand, and fights Daredevil and Blade to draws; but Captain America can fight him while not even paying attention to him?

Exactly!!! We need freaking rematch!

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #671 on: February 08, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
Exactly!!! We need freaking rematch!

so a non Gambit fan writer can have him knocked out twice as quick, no more vs it usually its bad unless its Liu , even FantomX had to get his revenge in XMCW2

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #672 on: February 08, 2017, 02:42:06 PM »
so a non Gambit fan writer can have him knocked out twice as quick, no more vs it usually its bad unless its Liu , even FantomX had to get his revenge in XMCW2

Please my brain is trying to forget this.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #673 on: February 08, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »

I think the point they were making is that it illustrates all the things that make Gambit great as well as his flaws.  Here he is going up against the iconic Captain America and he doesn't flinch.  He's the same cocky dude with the swagger that says to him he can take down the leader of the Avengers.  At the same time that cockiness and swagger is what ultimately leads to his defeat as he doesn't quite get the charge right to completely knock out Cap.

From an objective viewpoint, I can see their point and actually agree with it for the most part.  It's always bothered me a bit that Gambit seemingly knows the exact durability of his opponents to know that using 52 cards on Gladiator is going to merely knock him out rather than kill him outright.  No matter how skilled someone else, they can't really know the full limits of an unknown opponent.  So without knowing exactly how durable Cap is, it's entirely possible for him to get the charge wrong particularly if we assume that Gambit is going to err on the side of caution as he generally doesn't want to kill anyone.

Why I ultimately still hate this scene is how dismissive Cap is of Gambit.  I think at one point he's on the phone shooting the sh*t with Iron Man and he acts like Gambit is no real threat to him.  Considering Gambit could easily have gotten the charge wrong by putting too much in it, I think that attitude from Cap makes no sense as Cap could have easily been killed.

So I agree with the author's larger point but I think it ignores the fact that the scene is poorly executed.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:55:28 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #674 on: February 08, 2017, 03:19:25 PM »
I feel like the list ignores a lot of stuff from Liu and Asmus. PAD didn't do much, but he also had some moments in ANXF.

Hell, there's nothing from Deadpool v Gambit and that's his biggest appearance recently.