Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098569 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #1395 on: March 05, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »
So with all new Fresh Start announcements what you would like to see as Fresh Start for Gambit? Dr.Strange went to space. Would you like smth completely new like this for Gambit?I would love to see Gambit/Sinister interaction the most.I always liked when Gambit was working for him and would like more of it. Smth like double agent in Messiah Complex.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:45:08 AM by DonPriceTag »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #1396 on: March 05, 2018, 06:08:02 PM »
So with all new Fresh Start announcements what you would like to see as Fresh Start for Gambit?Dr.Strange went to space. Would you like smth completely new like this for Gambit?I would love to see Gambit/Sinister interaction the most.I always liked when Gambit was working for him and would like more of it. Smth like double agent in Messiah Complex.

I would absolutely love to see that. It'd be kinda cool to see something where he's toeing the line of being a "villain" like that

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #1397 on: March 06, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »
I've seen speculation of him getting a solo floating about. Has there been any kind of announcement or is it just rampant speculation after promo for fresh start.

So far all i see him in ongoing is Red which as a late join doesnt seem to make him part of its core he feels more support in this team.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1398 on: March 06, 2018, 04:32:55 PM »
I actually asked CB (Marvel EiC) about the idea of lesser characters getting digital books. I don't really understand why this isn't being used. Books like America Chavez, The Defenders, Spider-Gwen and Black Panther don't really sell enough units to stay float in print, but they all sell more than 5k. Why not just transfer them to 100% digital? I mean do more of a profit sharing, employ lesser-known artists and pay them exclusively via sells of the book. It'd be a great way to vet artists and provide a proving ground for a ideas and titles. If it does well, make it a printed title. But 5k at 3.99 would yield nearly 20K. All they'd be spending is bandwidth or paying for servers which are probably only having to deal with 50MB of data per title. No waste, no print, no paper etc. Almost 100% profit minus what they pay the writer or artist. Gambit was well within the 20Ks while not having any tie-in, variants, worthwhile features or even advertising. That'd be closer to $80K (@20K in sales). And digital download doesn't mean you don't insert ads. They should.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1399 on: March 06, 2018, 04:34:17 PM »
I've seen speculation of him getting a solo floating about. Has there been any kind of announcement or is it just rampant speculation after promo for fresh start.

So far all i see him in ongoing is Red which as a late join doesnt seem to make him part of its core he feels more support in this team.
Just speculation. He is on Fresh Start poster.

And a few months ago Bunn told that has some plans for Bella Donna.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 04:55:04 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1400 on: March 06, 2018, 04:36:19 PM »
I actually asked CB (Marvel EiC) about the idea of lesser characters getting digital books. I don't really understand why this isn't being used. Books like America Chavez, The Defenders, Spider-Gwen and Black Panther don't really sell enough units to stay float in print, but they all sell more than 5k. Why not just transfer them to 100% digital? I mean do more of a profit sharing, employ lesser-known artists and pay them exclusively via sells of the book. It'd be a great way to vet artists and provide a proving ground for a ideas and titles. If it does well, make it a printed title. But 5k at 3.99 would yield nearly 20K. All they'd be spending is bandwidth or paying for servers which are probably only having to deal with 50MB of data per title. No waste, no print, no paper etc. Almost 100% profit minus what they pay the writer or artist. Gambit was well within the 20Ks while not having any tie-in, variants, worthwhile features or even advertising. That'd be closer to $80K (@20K in sales). And digital download doesn't mean you don't insert ads. They should.

I think that they are just afraid that digital will kill off real comics.

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #1401 on: March 06, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »
@Don, I was waiting to see what the response was? I guess if you didn't add it on, it wasn't one that is worthwhile?

Comics are niche now anyway. They'd probably make a lot more money if they did a lot more digital stuff, plus allow a doujin-type market like what exists in Japan. With Disney holding their leash, though... I don't think that would ever happen, at least not in a way where they wouldn't want to dip into it too, and that sort of goes against the spirit of the doujin.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1402 on: March 06, 2018, 04:58:44 PM »

I think that they are just afraid that digital will kill off real comics.

That's the thing, they dont have to touch the printed stuff, itd just be added to their catalog. There are a lot of good ideas that get pitched, and while they may not make sense from a business standpoint to print, digital books will only make them profit and probably drive readers to stores to read the print-only books, especially if they do it right and have more crossover and continuity usage. Not so much crossover where you can't read one book without reading 3 others, but enough  reference that would get people curious about whats going on elsewhere.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1403 on: March 07, 2018, 07:30:04 PM »
... Gambit doesn't look like Teletubby in his new Red uniform to anyone? Carebear, Treasure Troll? Looks kind of like a giant target on his stomach.

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #1404 on: March 08, 2018, 02:56:39 AM »
... Gambit doesn't look like Teletubby in his new Red uniform to anyone? Carebear, Treasure Troll? Looks kind of like a giant target on his stomach.

The red line up i saw at xbr made him look like a wierdly shaped pixelated video character. I must be small screen and the way the colors look ao solid.... i half expected him to start moving like a gif.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1405 on: March 08, 2018, 07:30:53 AM »
I thought it looked pretty good for a smaller image. I like the designs for Red honestly. The X placement is in a weird spot for everybody, but besides that.. the slight armored look on everyone looks pretty cool.

Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1406 on: March 08, 2018, 08:46:19 AM »
Gambit is supposed to be 6'2. How tall is Kurt?

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1407 on: March 08, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »
I think Kurt is supposed to be shorter, but not positive.

The x on the stomach is kinda weird, but not seein teletubby.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1408 on: March 08, 2018, 10:40:45 AM »

Yeah, Gambit looks short here.
Will see how he will look like inside of book.
Also I thonk in some interview Taylor told that new team member will join team in issue 4. So I hope that in issue 3 Gambit will be doing his own thing and then will run to help read team.
It will be lame if he will be corrypted in issue 3 and RED will be saving him in issue 4:(

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1409 on: March 09, 2018, 09:57:41 AM »

If you believe marvel.wikia.com Kurt is 5'9"