Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098145 times)

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #2490 on: November 03, 2019, 07:28:24 AM »

Urmm, perhaps. House of X and Powers of X is a retcon of the past. All of Moira's lives have no impact on the next, which is why she's able to make different choices based on past experiences. The current timeline is the 616 main timeline. All the changes we're seeing in Krakoa are happening in real time, so the only change is the fact that Moira enacted a scheme she set up in the past. Everything we've known to happen to the X-Men since the 60s happened. However, the means and reason for several actions were retconned.

I brought up the greater Marvel Universe, by which instill believe is screwed up is because of what happened during Age of Ultron, the Apocalypse Twins and Secret Wars. The Avengers literally broke time and then space/time was shattered and glued back together, shattered and then reformed.

That's not what happened in HoX/PoX Moira didn't pull a Legion and go back in time and create a new 616. Her stories were all retconned leads up to the 616. Basically everything she did predated the 616 universe... Hope that makes sense.

I understand that's what they WANT you to think. That's part of the trick... A writer is like a magician, their best trick is always misdirection. And the biggest change to time is one most fans are not even aware of. I had to go over everything with a fine tooth comb myself to locate it. I knew with all the changes going back several years it HAD to be on-panel somewhere, they couldn't just retcon it in later and expect people to accept it.

There is a missing life for Moira, Life Zero. The original unaltered main-616 timeline. The one where she was human and died because of Mystique. Where Xavier nearly died himself trying to follow her spirit into the afterlife. Where she appeared as a spirit later herself. That timeline was rewritten by a massive change to time into her Life One, where Moria was now a mutant, which began her multi-life journey.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2491 on: November 03, 2019, 12:38:26 PM »
Interesting theory ... But that's not how time works. I too didn't believe this was the real 616 but editors have assured me via Twitter that it is. Due to the retcon, it means that Moira has always been a mutant. Its not something that was changed. There is no "zero" life however there is the possibility of Moira having at least one more life to burn. The 616 is her 10th life. Destiny told her she has 10 or 11. I'd bet anything that 11 was dropped as a means to build suspense. Moira at some point will have to burn her last life. Next year, two, five years from now Marvel has the means to hit the reset button. I'd look at that life rather than hold my breath for a zero time line.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2492 on: November 03, 2019, 03:35:24 PM »
Interesting theory ... But that's not how time works. I too didn't believe this was the real 616 but editors have assured me via Twitter that it is. Due to the retcon, it means that Moira has always been a mutant. Its not something that was changed. There is no "zero" life however there is the possibility of Moira having at least one more life to burn. The 616 is her 10th life. Destiny told her she has 10 or 11. I'd bet anything that 11 was dropped as a means to build suspense. Moira at some point will have to burn her last life. Next year, two, five years from now Marvel has the means to hit the reset button. I'd look at that life rather than hold my breath for a zero time line.

Yes. All Marvel current Star Wars comics are canon for movies.

It won`t surprise me if in a few years Marvel will reset 616 with some New MCU 52 where all new books will be a canon for MCU movies too.
Feige controls Marvel comics now too.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:39:04 PM by purplevit »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2493 on: November 03, 2019, 05:13:11 PM »

Yes. All Marvel current Star Wars comics are canon for movies.

It won`t surprise me if in a few years Marvel will reset 616 with some New MCU 52 where all new books will be a canon for MCU movies too.
Feige controls Marvel comics now too.

Well, Purp, you just terrified me.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2494 on: November 06, 2019, 10:28:01 PM »
Lol, I don’t know if Fiege will care that much about the comics, but who knows...

I have a sorta update on the gambit pop (because you guys got my hopes up, dangit!) someone on reddit who allegedly works for Barnes and Noble, says it will be out in April next year (because that’s what their computer says.)

I don’t really know how to do links so don’t know if this will work...
[size=78%]https://www.reddit.com/r/funkopop/comments/djvrsf/rogue_and_gambit_coming_soonish_4520_in_bn_system/[/size]

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #2495 on: November 14, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2496 on: November 15, 2019, 06:02:57 PM »
What the hell is Jubilee's problem? Better said, what is Tini smoking? Jubilee and Gambit get along fairly well. Better than fairly well. If Wolverine is A, Gambit is B. Why would she talk about him like that? Ah crap, I'm going to have to drop this, aren't I?

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #2497 on: November 15, 2019, 10:37:30 PM »
Yeah >.>I don't think they understand the characters or the dynamics.Think Jubilee and Kitty learned to say 'Gosh' from Wolverine? They must have picked it up with the ninja training

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #2498 on: November 16, 2019, 12:45:12 PM »
What the hell is Jubilee's problem? Better said, what is Tini smoking? Jubilee and Gambit get along fairly well. Better than fairly well. If Wolverine is A, Gambit is B. Why would she talk about him like that? Ah crap, I'm going to have to drop this, aren't I?

I think Jubilee is just joking with him, to try and distract Gambit a bit from worrying about Rogue. Which is why Gambit makes the 'in't in a joking mood' comment right after...

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2499 on: November 17, 2019, 09:25:32 AM »
Yeah, I see that,  it they’re going a little overboard...everyone one Krakoa are turning into jerks..,

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2500 on: November 17, 2019, 09:40:30 AM »
I think Jubilee is just joking with him, to try and distract Gambit a bit from worrying about Rogue. Which is why Gambit makes the 'in't in a joking mood' comment right after...

Fair enough and I would have thought the same, but this is the second time in two issues she's brought up keeping Shogo safe from Apocalypse. Just weird she's lumping Gambit in as a joke. Not to mention, how is anything that's happening funny? And for goodness sake why are they still using that sailboat? The X-Men have jets and teleporters at their disposal.

Offline red joseph

• Horseman
« Reply #2501 on: November 17, 2019, 10:47:21 AM »
Ouch, other comic sites are picking up on Gambits role:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11/16/everyone-hates-gambit-in-excalibur-2-preview/

May have to drop this two issues in.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2502 on: November 17, 2019, 01:00:22 PM »
I've thought about posting my view three times, as in this is time number 3. And I think at this point I should just say it.

WTH is wrong with women writers and comic books. How is it they don't understand certain characters.

I read plenty of books written by women and they write men so much better than the last one and current writer in charge of Gambit.

Thank you for reminding me that I don't need to buy this book and while its disappointing to not support Gambit, until some other writer comes along, I'll pass.
edit: the link isn't working for me but the title tells it all. :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 05:45:12 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #2503 on: November 18, 2019, 08:24:57 AM »
WTH is wrong with women writers and comic books. How is it they don't understand certain characters.

I read plenty of books written by women and they write men so much better than the last one and current writer in charge of Gambit.

I agree with this. Even Marjorie Liu, who wrote Gambit well, made him too soft at times (hated his relationship with Cecilia Reyes). Apparently he's too much of a boyfriend material to not be used in this role. 

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2504 on: November 18, 2019, 10:07:47 AM »
Most so-called "writers" at Marvel, DC, IDW and others either don't know the characters very well or they simply don't care. Just go to one of those websites where you can read comics for free, because they don't deserve your hard earn money.
https://comiconlinefree.com/
https://www.comicextra.com/
https://read-comic.com/
https://comicpunch.net/
http://xoxocomics.com/
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)