Author Topic: Gambit Watch  (Read 1098317 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Watch
« Reply #2505 on: November 18, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
I agree with this. Even Marjorie Liu, who wrote Gambit well, made him too soft at times (hated his relationship with Cecilia Reyes). Apparently he's too much of a boyfriend material to not be used in this role.
It would seem she started the trend. But at least she had him do some good things. Jumping off a building and not hurting himself, his fight against Daken. Yes, KT had him jumping and throwing cards. The difference is story line. Liu did give Gambit story, all KT did was make him love interest and nothing more. There really was no story for Gambit. There isn't anything added to his lore beyond getting married.

Its a shame, he's become too much of boyfriend/husband material to not warrant some story line. Action sequences is not story not matter how well drawn.
I'm actually sort of amused. Rogue is asleep again for a story. LOL

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 12:23:22 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2506 on: November 18, 2019, 12:22:42 PM »
Most so-called "writers" at Marvel, DC, IDW and others either don't know the characters very well or they simply don't care. Just go to one of those websites where you can read comics for free, because they don't deserve your hard earn money.
https://comiconlinefree.com/
https://www.comicextra.com/
https://read-comic.com/
https://comicpunch.net/
http://xoxocomics.com/
Thank you for this! It really is a great option. You are right, they don't deserve hard earned money.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2507 on: November 20, 2019, 09:20:57 AM »
Excalibur 2 is bad. Tini`s voice for characters is so bad.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2508 on: November 20, 2019, 10:51:31 AM »
To be honest, X-Men #2, Marauders #2 and Excalibur #2 have all been pretty "meh" ...actually I only liked the 1st half of HoX/PoX and got tired of it...

X-Men: The Summers are really boring (Cyclops has regressed since he's come back)
Marauders: It's the "Kate" show, a bit like X-Men Gold, but with more jokes.
Excalibur: Concept is okay, but the characters are dull, and Gambit, Jubilee and Rogue generally have a lot of charisma, I don't see it here.
New Mutants: This is probably the best book so far...but I don't love it. 
X-Force: Gritty, but I don't love it.
Fallen Angels: It's another dull book.

None of the these are terrible, but FAR from great.They range between 5 to 7 out of 10. Way over-hyped, and many are easily pleased with this re-vamp because the Gold/Blue era before this was God-awful...so it doesn't take much to appease the audience.

Offline Wackler

• Mark
« Reply #2509 on: November 20, 2019, 10:58:05 AM »
Really? The Summers is a flop? That's a bummer.  I was looking forward to watching that.

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2510 on: November 20, 2019, 11:28:00 AM »
Yeah, while Gambit is written poorly, Jubilee is being massacred on paper right in front of us. At least Rogue cannot talk to ruin her character.  ;D

That said I'll still buy it because I want to see where they go from that ending.

Also it helps if you imagine Gambit with a Broom Mustache. Then all his lines and behavior makes sense.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2511 on: November 20, 2019, 11:54:55 AM »
Oh yeah Jubilee was slightly less badly written than Gambit in this issue. Gambit just needs to get his composure back, maybe the mission with Betsy and Jubes will keep him focused on something else, I hear he interacts with Rictor in the coming issues, but it's not just the fretting over Rogue, it's the anger, it's like how Milligan wrote him...and Alan Davis in parts way back.

But for me most of the major X-Men characters in this new Hickman era seem off, it's not just Gambit and Jubilee, it's Cyclops being a "yes" man, Jean regressing back to "Suzy Homemaker" status of the 1960's, Storm taking orders from Kitty Pryde (again), ...and Professor X is "dead" again, Kid-Cable is the worst character going around, Rachel is acting like a 13-year old, there's nothing at stake because they'll get resurrected, all the baddies are allies so it's just Sentinels that are the threat.

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #2512 on: November 20, 2019, 12:22:25 PM »
Definitely a slow burn for Gambit's role. Comics can be frustrating when you are reading a book for a character in a secondary role. I am interested in what Apocalypse is doing. And I hope something interesting comes out Rogue situation.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #2513 on: November 20, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »
This is frustrating to hear. Hopefully with Rictor it will get better because one of the things I've always loved about Gambit is that he can play off of any character. When he is lead, he can share the limelight but it doesn't seem like the current writers appreciate that kinda thing haha

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2514 on: November 20, 2019, 08:19:52 PM »
For goodness sake, is anyone else having a hard time reading this book or do I need to see a neurologist?!

This book was nonsense. Nothing flows. Its a jumbled up mess of an attempt at constructing narrative! What the heck is going on here? How did this get past editorial? Effing Shogo?! What happened to Apocalypse's vocabulary? Why is no one asking why Betsy's dressed like her brother? Where is her brother? Why is that not a big deal? What the @&#& is going on with Gambit? Where did that portal come from? Is Apocalypse a god now?!
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2515 on: November 20, 2019, 09:19:37 PM »
The idea's are there, they main problem is that the story moves far too quickly. I felt like I was reading a 4-issue story arc in 20 pages. It just doesn't breathe. We're getting "Evil Sirens", Druids, "Rogue Lighthouse", Dream Sequences, "Shogo the Dragon" all crammed into one issue. That pace sometimes CAN work, as long as the characters are compelling and help drive it.

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2516 on: November 20, 2019, 11:48:44 PM »
Wow... that was really bad... those who are saying that Tini is still trying to get a hold on the characters, after this many years of so many examples to learn from, that's an old tiring excuse that just doesn't hold up anymore.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2517 on: November 21, 2019, 02:43:29 AM »
For goodness sake, is anyone else having a hard time reading this book or do I need to see a neurologist?!

This book was nonsense. Nothing flows. Its a jumbled up mess of an attempt at constructing narrative! What the heck is going on here? How did this get past editorial? Effing Shogo?! What happened to Apocalypse's vocabulary? Why is no one asking why Betsy's dressed like her brother? Where is her brother? Why is that not a big deal? What the @&#& is going on with Gambit? Where did that portal come from? Is Apocalypse a god now?!

All Tini`s book that I read were chaotic and messy. She cant`make build up or logical story. Voices for characters and characterization is terrible. I am sad for To. He is trying his best but To can`t save bad writing with awesome art.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 04:35:24 AM by purplevit »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2518 on: November 21, 2019, 02:30:25 PM »
Definitely a slow burn for Gambit's role. Comics can be frustrating when you are reading a book for a character in a secondary role. I am interested in what Apocalypse is doing. And I hope something interesting comes out Rogue situation.

That's fair but I'm enjoying the heck out of other books that don't have Gambit in it. If he wasn't, I would have given this book a shot still. The only thing that kept me in this far is his inclusion. I would have dropped this book after issue 1. To be fair, I'm not feeling Marauders too much either, haven't read 2 yet, but 1 was all about Kitty, and frankly I'm over that angle in X-Men. However, I want to see where Bishop's investigation goes.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Icefanatic

• Master Thief
    • A Better Place - A Fandom Community Forum
« Reply #2519 on: November 22, 2019, 05:18:32 PM »
The characters are flat, the story is a mess. To me, it reads like someone took different drafts of the story, cut them apart and then joined them together without even an edit.