Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 390117 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #1995 on: October 06, 2018, 11:41:00 PM »
Romantic - Comedies can be great, but mostly they're weak in story for various reasons. Other Chick-Flicks are too serious or the comedy isn't understood what so ever. It's fine line and when throwing in a "super hero" element, it needs to be balanced so well to make it work.

I don't want Gambit to be a joke in his own film. Rom/com - Chick-Flick may not be the way to go.
I've got no issues with Bella-Donna.

I don't think the movie makers have a clue what they want to do with this film.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 02:52:41 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nevaratoiel

• Artisian
  • X-Man Legend
  • I don't bite... hard...
    • Gambit's Royal Flush Fanlisting
« Reply #1996 on: October 07, 2018, 05:52:37 AM »
I know, right? They keep on jumping all over the place with the script, from a heist movie to a rom-com/chick flick. They need writers that know the character and his history. Some comedy is fine, after all, Gambit doesn't take himself too seriously at times, and has a wicked sense of humour. But he also has a dark past and is known to brood. A good mix between the above mentioned elements would make a great film. But if they go with the current theme they mentioned, I'd opt for not making it to it being a flop (and the risk of them never touching the character again). No issues with Bella Donna here either.
Nicole a.k.a. Nev a.k.a. Neva

I come and go, and come and go, but you're not rid of me that easy... ;D
ELFAE | Gambit's Royal Flush Fanlisting

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #1997 on: October 07, 2018, 07:05:49 AM »
Gambit's a con-man/thief, so really a 'Gambit' movie should have a clever script with twists, something that keeps the audience guessing.

For me personally, I'd be happier if they had Gambit as a wild card in X-Men movies. I think a solo movie is throwing him into the deep end.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:12:14 AM by Sparta »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1998 on: October 07, 2018, 09:18:11 AM »
I don't see how they are supposed to be filming in February and they are still messing with the script in Oct. The last X-Men movie that was this fluid was X-Men The Last Stand, mostly because that was written and shot during the writer's strike. Id rather they not make a movie, than a bad one. Hurts the name, but I dont think we have anything to worry about on that front.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1999 on: October 07, 2018, 02:56:50 PM »
I don't know either. I think the fan is being strung along. Tatum isn't as vigilant as he has been in the past and he shouldn't wait. Yes, I'm certain he wants this project but its stalled so much.

I really don't think there will be fill in our future - don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but how can they pull this off at this point?

There is so much that should have been done by now and much more to actually accomplish to make this work ... timing is short and we  have no real news of anything happening.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #2000 on: October 08, 2018, 11:34:32 AM »
I don't know either. I think the fan is being strung along. Tatum isn't as vigilant as he has been in the past and he shouldn't wait. Yes, I'm certain he wants this project but its stalled so much.

I really don't think there will be fill in our future - don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but how can they pull this off at this point?

There is so much that should have been done by now and much more to actually accomplish to make this work ... timing is short and we  have no real news of anything happening.

It would be pretty tough for them to get this made at this point, especially with the merger possibly happening sooner than expected. Like you said, Tatum doesn't seem very involved anymore and he was about the only one really pushing to make it. And sorry but I just don't trust Kinberg on this topic. He just seems like he's stalling

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2001 on: October 08, 2018, 04:21:00 PM »

Remember the last time it was this close to shooting? We were getting news everyday. People were actively being hired and auditioned. Again, you can't keep this a secret. If it was happening, it'd be common and public knowledge. In Hollywood, you have schedule things sometimes a year in advance depending on the cast, stars, production and crew. Everyone isnt available all the time. Movies don't take forever to make, but they are stacked up atop each other. A working actor can easily have 2 to 10 projects a year. It's why they say Hollywood is a small world. A lot of the same people work together year round in different combinations. Yo, I dont trust this guy (Kinberg). He's playing with us to keep hype going around the existing X-Men universe because his name is so attached to everything inside of it. No one pushed for this more than Donner and where is she, now?

Id rather spitball possible story lines and plots rather than worry or talk about this production. I'd be on board for a movie revolving around Gambit, Bella and the guilds. More so if they had multiple movies planned. IF not, a series of young Gambit right after leaving NOLA would be awesome. Him traveling around using what connections he has, thieving, dodging the authorities, possibly being hunted by branches of the assassin's guild where ever he goes. Maybe set him opposite of the White Tiger (the female FBI agent).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 04:26:08 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #2002 on: October 08, 2018, 04:56:22 PM »

a series of young Gambit right after leaving NOLA would be awesome. Him traveling around using what connections he has, thieving, dodging the authorities, possibly being hunted by branches of the assassin's guild where ever he goes. Maybe set him opposite of the White Tiger (the female FBI agent).

That's like my dream series. Could be a pretty thrilling cat-and-mouse story and wouldn't need a huge budget. Hint at the X-Men but never actually involve them until the last episode (if at all).

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2003 on: October 09, 2018, 12:04:53 AM »
Question would be "how far does it go". It all depends on how successful it is, and how time flies. Like, will each season end on a cliffhanger or have time pass in-between? If time passes normally, a whole season can take place within a couple weeks (or 24hrs lol). Another question is "when does it pick up?" A few weeks after the banishment or a few years? If it's a strong translation, itd determine what kind of stories we get. Gambit left nola between 17 and 19. He didn't encounter Storm until he was in his late 20s ( I always figured Gambit to be about Bobby's age or a tad bit older, but younger than Cyclops, Jean, Angel, and Beast). So there are a few stories that depends heavily on how old Gambit is;

Paris occurred before his banishment
The massacre was right after he left NOLA
His time doing merc jobs was after he gained better control

There's tons of stories to write to fill in the gaps. I think the massacre would make a great 3 parter to end on a cliffhanger. Paris would be cool as a single episode flashback. Maybe a story he's telling to someone to distract them...

Let's say Agent Angela (White Tiger) and he arrives together. She's trying to apprehend him and they are attacked by assassin's. Angela is mortally wounded. In the fight Gambit mistakenly collapses the side of a building on them. Shes in pain, maybe bleeding out and suffering from a head wound. To keep her awake he tells her about the time he spent in Paris. The story takes up most of the episode but by the end they are rescued and Angela, who was struggling with her attraction to him and his charm is now resolved to take him down. The story showing him for what he is (in her eyes). She could be out of the show for a few episodes giving time for Gambit to get mixed up with Sinister. The season finale can be what I described earlier, the end of Gambit taking Marauders on and trying to save the Morlocks. Angela stumbles in and gets involved, again changing her perception of him. Plus you know, 2 or 3 episodes of brawling. Maybe a good 1st season cap?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:07:41 AM by DonPriceTag »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2004 on: October 16, 2018, 03:31:13 AM »
 Exclusive: X-Men Producer Explains What Films Will Influence Gambit

https://screenrant.com/x-men-gambit-movie-influences/

"I think with the standalone movies, meaning Logan and Deadpool. Not mainline, X-Men movies, one of the things we've strived to do is sort of create a sub-genre within the genre of the superhero movie. Obviously Deadpool was like a R-rated comedy. Logan was very much a western. And, so we talked a lot about who Gambit is. And it's always motivated by the character is. We talked a lot about who Gambit is as a character and the things that Channing [Tatum] relates to in the character. And so obviously he's a thief, obviously you know his superpowers, those things are going to be very present and prevalent in the movie. But he's also a scoundrel, and a rascal, and a womanizer, and a lot of other things that we felt like we could explore in his relationships with women and one of the genres that is underserviced genre now is the romantic comedy. So whenever we can smuggle some other genre into one of these kinds of movies... I mean I did it with...The first movie I ever wrote was Mr. and Mrs. Smith and that was a romantic comedy smuggled into a spy thriller. In the same way that on the surface it will be a superhero movie with you know. People love superpowers and things are going to explode and there's going to be car chases and all of that. Doing all the powers and cards that you are familiar with. Underneath that will be romantic comedy undercurrents and it's not really like Rom-coms from when we were growing up. Or when I was growing up. It's more going back to like Philadelphia Story and His Girl Friday and just the kind of pattern banter of that and the fun and speed of those kinds of movies."

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 02:14:50 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #2005 on: October 16, 2018, 11:32:33 AM »
I see Kinberg is at again... I swear if he can get anyone else to say a word, I'll be shocked.

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #2006 on: October 16, 2018, 11:39:14 AM »
I see Kinberg is at again... I swear if he can get anyone else to say a word, I'll be shocked.
  yup.. Not a word from Tatum who's last said he had  no idea what his next project was or if this movie was ever gonna happen lol .                     .....and still no director./casting. Not even any rumors out there

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #2007 on: October 16, 2018, 03:32:49 PM »
Guys....this won't happen. And honestly, maybe it's best it doesn't. If Gambit (with the X-men) divert to Disney, we'd get a GREAT Gambit eventually.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #2008 on: October 16, 2018, 08:48:40 PM »
I wish Kinberg would just shut up. Stop trying to string us a long. The only way this movie gets made is when the deal goes through with Disney,  Kevin Feige and co. for some reason love the the idea of this movie and want to get it into production asap and use it as part of the introduction into mutants and the X-Men world. I highly doubt that though. At least we can eagerly anticipate, finally with some confidence, a competently handled Gambit. I just hope they don't make us wait very long.

I'd be all for Tatum still playing Gambit in the MCU version but with him being 38 at this point, I'd be surprised if they brought him along. They always look to the future.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2009 on: October 17, 2018, 03:44:34 AM »
Yep, Gambit's next on-screen appearance should be in the MCU. Yes, it will be a longer wait, but I like my Gambit involved with the X-Men...and if his portrayal gets a good response...THEN they can make a 'Gambit' movie.

As much as I appreciate Channing's love for the character and his efforts to get a Fox Gambit movie up and running, he's not the man to play him. He's more of a "Captain America", "Superman" or "Duke from GI.Joe" kind of guy. He's 38 now, and I'm expecting Marvel to re-boot the X-Men with youngish versions of Cyclops, Beast, Wolverine, Storm etc. It would look rather odd to have a Gambit that's 10+ years older than those core characters. 

Though my BIGGEST concern is getting a really bad Gambit movie...we don't want that.