Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 385319 times)

Offline Gambit4love1

• Guild Scholar
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #270 on: August 23, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »
Yeah but The Wolverine and First Class films (without Singers involvement) was a step up when it comes to X-men films. And with the look of Deadpool, it seems they are going in the right direction. Fingers crossed for Gambit
Gambit
Redhood
Winter Soldier

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #271 on: August 24, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
There are sites now reporting that Lea has been cast, but Variety says she's still in talks: http://variety.com/2015/film/news/lea-seydoux-channing-tatum-x-men-spinoff-gambit-1201577226/
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #272 on: August 24, 2015, 09:11:17 PM »
I'd say it's a close bet, at this point. She's got the offer, and she has no real reason to not take it. Unlike Ferguson, who's career skyrocketed with Rogue Nation, it would be kind of a waste for her considering there's talks of her being able to front her own franchise. Also, Swedish people apparently view comics as being for children, unless it's political satire.

Offline Gambit4love1

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #273 on: August 24, 2015, 11:45:31 PM »
Glad to hear she got the part, she was my favourite out of the 3 main females. Looking forwards to hearing about, who the rest of the cast is now.
Gambit
Redhood
Winter Soldier

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #274 on: August 25, 2015, 01:00:33 AM »
Lea Seydoux would be a perfect Bella Donna.
Interesting to see what they'll do with the character, 10 years ago I would never have thought a character like Bella Donna would ever be in movie, considering that Gambit couldn't get into 6 X-Men movies.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #275 on: August 25, 2015, 08:48:23 AM »
http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/fox-picks-la-seydoux-for-gambit-female-lead

Bella Donna was created by Scott Lobdell and Jim Lee, and first appeared in 1992's "X-Men" #8. She's closely connected with Gambit, with the characters knowing each other since childhood and sharing a subsequently complicated relationship of being both lovers and (given her status as a member of the Assassins' Guild) enemies. Like Gambit, Bella Donna is also a mutant, with powers of astral projection and plasma blasts from the artical

why cant they say Bella is his ex wife its not a spoiler, also she had powers for an 4 issue arc and then they were gone she's not a mutant, ...rant over, all hail Belladonna :)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2015, 09:46:41 AM »
Maybe they don't want him married in the film? I do agree that unifying the guilds though is a big deal.  And I'm glad they are doing his back story.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »
Well him being married to Bella is a spoiler because we don't know the direction the movie is going to take with respect to that point as no movie borrows from the source material 100% so I suspect they want to keep it under wraps for now.

As for her being a mutant, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a lot of the Thieve's and Assassin Guild members mutants or super powered as from a spectacle and special effects perspective, the more people with powers the better.  If this really has a 150 million budget then they are going to need a lot more people with powers than just Gambit and it's quite easy to turn the TG and AG rivalry into some sort of super power rivalry where perhaps the TG has mutants while the AG has individuals that got their powers via other means or where both factions got their power via other means but then have a few people that have powers because they are mutants and hence are viewed as outcasts.

In any event, I think there is a lot of room to flesh out the TG and AG more than what was in the comics and would be interested in seeing a fresh take on it rather than just a straight up copy of the source material.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #278 on: August 25, 2015, 01:27:16 PM »
Well him being married to Bella is a spoiler because we don't know the direction the movie is going to take with respect to that point as no movie borrows from the source material 100% so I suspect they want to keep it under wraps for now.

As for her being a mutant, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a lot of the Thieve's and Assassin Guild members mutants or super powered as from a spectacle and special effects perspective, the more people with powers the better.  If this really has a 150 million budget then they are going to need a lot more people with powers than just Gambit and it's quite easy to turn the TG and AG rivalry into some sort of super power rivalry where perhaps the TG has mutants while the AG has individuals that got their powers via other means or where both factions got their power via other means but then have a few people that have powers because they are mutants and hence are viewed as outcasts.

In any event, I think there is a lot of room to flesh out the TG and AG more than what was in the comics and would be interested in seeing a fresh take on it rather than just a straight up copy of the source material.

Well, not everyone has to be a mutant. A lot of the thieves and assassins gained supernatural ability through tithing and magic. Buy I agree, that $150m has to go somewhere. Perhaps that's the whole budget including advertising (that would cut out about 10m)?

Maybe they plan to do a lot of on locale filming? Gambit's an international thief. He doesn't limit himself to the US. Besides, the area of New Orleans Gambit comes from was heavily effected by Katrina. Seeing as Tatum plans on doing as much business there as possible, the place will need face-lift, if not just built up entirely. You don't need to be in NOLA to use a green screen, so I expect more practical backdrops.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2015, 04:21:33 PM »
Not saying everyone is a mutant.  My point is I suspect there were be far more super powered individuals than the TG and AG that were in the comics and you could play up the conflict between the two groups more if one side had more supes and the other side had more mutants as it becomes a microcosm of the overal tension between super powered humans and mutants.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #280 on: August 25, 2015, 04:51:50 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they made a lot of the Thieve's and Assassin Guild members mutants or super powered as from a spectacle and special effects perspective, the more people with powers the better. 

Thieves and Assassins members as mutants could work. It links perfectly to the X-Men movies and it'll make the characters a lot more interesting.
For instance, if they bring in Julian, rather than having a campy sword fight, they could power him up and do something a lot more engaging.

Offline AnimatedPhil

• Thief
    • The Art of AnimatedPhil: Philip McNulty
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
I think this is a very good casting. From reading reports from Variety and Hollywood Examiner, and the like, their only reservation about her was wondering if she could pull off a Cajun accent. And that's why she wasn't cast right away. She must have blown them away considering they are putting a lot of stock into the accents.

I am excited. I think she is going to play the role perfectly.
William Shatner's Man O' War Artist.  
Kevin Smith's SModCo.   Cartoon Show Animator.  
Certified Gambit Fanatic.

Offline Homme

• Survivor
  • I would trade my eyes to see.
« Reply #282 on: August 25, 2015, 05:26:11 PM »

Yep, I agree with that. It could very well be a plot point in the film and I'm sure they also realize that their audience won't necessarily know that fact or look it up before hand.

Maybe they plan to do a lot of on locale filming? Gambit's an international thief. He doesn't limit himself to the US. Besides, the area of New Orleans Gambit comes from was heavily effected by Katrina. Seeing as Tatum plans on doing as much business there as possible, the place will need face-lift, if not just built up entirely. You don't need to be in NOLA to use a green screen, so I expect more practical backdrops.

Yeah, hope it's mostly filmed in New Orleans. It would be very smart to film it on location for the film's atmosphere and budget. Louisiana offers a pretty substantial tax break which is why many film there and in Cleveland. Unfortunately, last month it was voted to reduce the tax credits in Louisiana. It's probably still worth it for budget reasons.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #283 on: August 25, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
Yeah for me I wouldn't go overboard with locales.  New Orleans, maybe Paris or England if Candra or Sinister are involved and to make that the international head of the respective Guilds but wouldn't go too far beyond that.  If the movie shows his exile then I suppose he would end up in other US cities but those are usually easier and keep to recreate without having to go on location.

Offline Gambit4love1

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #284 on: August 26, 2015, 12:33:47 AM »
I think it will be base in New Orleans and New York
Gambit
Redhood
Winter Soldier