Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 385407 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #540 on: January 20, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
The 'funny name' and super powers make him recognizable as a comic character. And it doesn't really matter if we as fans like it or not, the movie has to sell to a much wider audience than us. If the audience is going 'wtf is on his head?' that doesn't help the movie succeed.

I actually think the opposite. A huge chunk of the American audience seeing this movie will have not seen him since the 90s show (ignoring Origins, most people loved he was in it but we're confused about everything else lol). If they don't see him in something familiar at least once they might say "doesn't really look like Gambit, but ok". But I guess the title screen, accent and the trenchcoat might be be enough LOL.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #541 on: January 20, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZcWzTBpOVc

FanMade Gambit Trailer with alligators, Sinister and Tatum with black/red eyes :gambit:

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #542 on: January 21, 2016, 12:00:59 AM »
I actually think the opposite. A huge chunk of the American audience seeing this movie will have not seen him since the 90s show (ignoring Origins, most people loved he was in it but we're confused about everything else lol). If they don't see him in something familiar at least once they might say "doesn't really look like Gambit, but ok". But I guess the title screen, accent and the trenchcoat might be be enough LOL.
Yeah, the accent, coat and likely eyes should be enough. ;) audiences managed with wolverine not having giant ears on his head. Heck even superman and batman both no longer wear their underwear outside their pants anymore. They didn't change those things because of the comic fans, they did it because they thought movie audiences would like it much better.

Offline AnimatedPhil

• Thief
    • The Art of AnimatedPhil: Philip McNulty
William Shatner's Man O' War Artist.  
Kevin Smith's SModCo.   Cartoon Show Animator.  
Certified Gambit Fanatic.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend

Offline Gambit4love1

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #545 on: January 21, 2016, 04:53:44 PM »
So he'll be placed in the Future we saw at the end of X-men Days of Future Past?
Gambit
Redhood
Winter Soldier

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #546 on: January 21, 2016, 07:03:58 PM »
So he'll be placed in the Future we saw at the end of X-men Days of Future Past?

not necessarily that future exists but it may be in its own universe as Singer has stated that anyone of those people we seen in the end can be killed off earlier in the timeline which sounds like there is a new timeline being created different to that one http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/bryan-singer-weighs-on-x-mens-timeline-anything-can-happen

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #547 on: January 21, 2016, 08:37:42 PM »
not necessarily that future exists but it may be in its own universe as Singer has stated that anyone of those people we seen in the end can be killed off earlier in the timeline which sounds like there is a new timeline being created different to that one http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/bryan-singer-weighs-on-x-mens-timeline-anything-can-happen

I don't think that's what he meant. The timeline Wolverine returned to wasn't "pre-Phoenix" (he was graying, so it happened years after the last X-Men movie). It was the same time as if that event didnt happen or happened slightly differently. By his own description, that timeline Wolverine went back to was set. The only thing thats in "danger" of changing are the happenings prior to that. And by changing, I mean by how we first saw it. By saying that, if he wanted to, he can retell Phoenix Saga altogether, or ignore it completely. Could be wrong, but thats how I saw it.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #548 on: January 21, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »
Something I mocked up of how I view it. IMO anything else would prove that they arent time traveling but dimension jumping.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #549 on: January 22, 2016, 12:53:53 AM »
Movie audiences don't care. They aren't invested in looks or persona via books.  All they want is a good movie story. They know hokey when they see it too and it shows in box office receipts.

Movie audiences need to suspend belief - whether the hardcore fan likes what that is or not isn't the issue. Its the films success. I care more about that, than if Gambit has his headsock or not.

Gambit should win, survive - be the character I see. He doesn't need the props for that. IMO

Couldn't have said it better.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #550 on: January 22, 2016, 01:44:40 AM »
I don't think that's what he meant. The timeline Wolverine returned to wasn't "pre-Phoenix" (he was graying, so it happened years after the last X-Men movie). It was the same time as if that event didnt happen or happened slightly differently. By his own description, that timeline Wolverine went back to was set. The only thing thats in "danger" of changing are the happenings prior to that. And by changing, I mean by how we first saw it. By saying that, if he wanted to, he can retell Phoenix Saga altogether, or ignore it completely. Could be wrong, but thats how I saw it.

The last part of Singer's quote makes it clear that any of the characters Wolverine saw at the end of DOFP could die.

As to the New Future Wolverine saw at the end of "Days of Future Past," he said, "I'll kill any of those characters any day I want. They're all fair game. Anything can happen. When two things are happening simultaneously in quantum physics it's what’s called the Super Position and when the Observer finally observes the outcome that's called the 'Collapsing of the Super Position' which is what happened when Wolverine woke up and saw all the happiness. So yes that is the outcome we hope for, that is the outcome we aspire to, and that’s the outcome we are moving towards, but we saw in 'Days of Future Past' another dark world. What says that can’t happen again? What says the awakening of a being that has such power and can acquire the power to destabilize that? So anything is possible."

Dimension jumping is not different from time travel but rather a mechanism by which time travel is possible.  There are two standard interpretations of Quantum Mechanics, the Copenhagen Interpretation which is basically what Singer is talking about here and the Many Worlds Interpretation which as it relates to time travel would suggest that multiple universes exist and the act of time travel results in you entering an alternate universe in order to avoid the Grandfather Paradox/Causal Loop ie you can't travel back in time because if you did and killed your grandfather you would never have been born and hence could not travel back in time.  The way you solve for that is by saying that when you traveled back in time you entered an alternate universe and hence the universe where you were born still exists and thus when you kill your grandfather you did so in a different universe from the one you were born in.

The problem with Singer's statement is that the Collapse of the Superposition in the context of time travel would potentially result in the Grandfather Paradox/Causal Loop which many time travel stories simply ignore or they simply follow the many worlds interpretation without explicitly stating that they are to avoid the audience getting confused.  But yeah, anyone can die according to Singer and frankly that would include Wolverine himself.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #551 on: January 22, 2016, 05:31:13 AM »
Singer will either direct or produce his version of the Phonix Saga and Dark Phonix Saga and do it all in the next trilogy, calling it now

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #552 on: January 22, 2016, 09:40:02 AM »
The last part of Singer's quote makes it clear that any of the characters Wolverine saw at the end of DOFP could die.

As to the New Future Wolverine saw at the end of "Days of Future Past," he said, "I'll kill any of those characters any day I want. They're all fair game. Anything can happen. When two things are happening simultaneously in quantum physics it's what’s called the Super Position and when the Observer finally observes the outcome that's called the 'Collapsing of the Super Position' which is what happened when Wolverine woke up and saw all the happiness. So yes that is the outcome we hope for, that is the outcome we aspire to, and that’s the outcome we are moving towards, but we saw in 'Days of Future Past' another dark world. What says that can’t happen again? What says the awakening of a being that has such power and can acquire the power to destabilize that? So anything is possible."

Dimension jumping is not different from time travel but rather a mechanism by which time travel is possible.  There are two standard interpretations of Quantum Mechanics, the Copenhagen Interpretation which is basically what Singer is talking about here and the Many Worlds Interpretation which as it relates to time travel would suggest that multiple universes exist and the act of time travel results in you entering an alternate universe in order to avoid the Grandfather Paradox/Causal Loop ie you can't travel back in time because if you did and killed your grandfather you would never have been born and hence could not travel back in time.  The way you solve for that is by saying that when you traveled back in time you entered an alternate universe and hence the universe where you were born still exists and thus when you kill your grandfather you did so in a different universe from the one you were born in.

The problem with Singer's statement is that the Collapse of the Superposition in the context of time travel would potentially result in the Grandfather Paradox/Causal Loop which many time travel stories simply ignore or they simply follow the many worlds interpretation without explicitly stating that they are to avoid the audience getting confused.  But yeah, anyone can die according to Singer and frankly that would include Wolverine himself.

In other words, he's a kid playing in sandbox and he's telling the world he won't be held to results of his own story. That's cool, but without further disruptions in time, its nonsense. If you go further in a timeline and see it, it can't be changed unless you interfere with it via more time travel. Unless hes stating that his timelines are constantly shifting... Interesting, but implausible. The present is already predestined if not provided with information of the future (time travel) or interfered with by the past (more time travel).

Or throw all this out of the window and except that breaking the quantum barrier is moving from one dimension to another. Thus would mean, you can't change the future, but divert your present. The witnessed future is its own stream and will continue on as it was found and the new "future" creates by the disruption is now a completely new dimension. So if someone traveling back in time, they still return to their future as they left it. But Singer isn't using this model... He's using the Singer Model.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:42:40 AM by DonPriceTag »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #553 on: January 22, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
From the perspective of the time traveler, he doesn't know he is in another universe.  I live in 616.  I go back in time and alter the history that I am aware of from 616.  The act of my going back in time actually puts me in universe 617 but I have no way of knowing that as I time travel.  So when I kill my grandfather I don't disappear because my grandfather in 616 still exists and I actually killed poor gramps in 617. 

So the past and future Wolverines goes to and returns too were not the past and futures from his original timeline.  And you could easily solve the issue of Wolverine already seeing the end of his new timeline at the end of DOFP with Apocalypse.  In the many worlds interpretation, alternative universes are created all the time based on decisions we make irrespective of time travel.  So if I am deciding whether to go to the store today or not, under the many worlds interpretation, that potential choice means that an alternate universe is created so that there is one universe where I decided to go to the store and another universe where I decided to stay home.

So there is more than one universe where Wolverine went back in time because subsequent to him doing so, other decisions made by other people within that universe would have caused other alternate universes (all with a past where Wolverine went back in time) even without time travel.  So the end of DOFP is simply one of those universes while it's like DOFP would be set in another one of these universes where presumably Apocalypse woke up.

This would become confusing for an audience and kill the suspense as if we are just switching between different versions of a character that exists in different alternate universes, the audience can't really connect with any one character because we have such an individual concept of identity.  So the easy solution from a story standpoint is to simply ignore the fact you are following the MWI as most audiences aren't going to care.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #554 on: January 23, 2016, 09:42:33 AM »
Something I mocked up of how I view it. IMO anything else would prove that they arent time traveling but dimension jumping.

This looks pretty accurate. Nice job.
Who Dat