Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 385362 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #870 on: July 25, 2017, 02:18:51 AM »
Loved everything Tatum said. He said pretty much everything I was thinking was going on. Great to hear Tatum finally asked about it in an interview. Tatum's not going anywhere people, he wants this role and this movie BADLY. If they need to take their time to get it right, then I am more than fine with that.  :gambit:

Me too! I hope Tatum will find a good director who will be pationate for this movie too.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #871 on: July 27, 2017, 05:46:56 PM »
With Tatum's passion, a good director that has good chemistry with him and a solid script and I think we are in store for something pretty special.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:40:15 AM by wantutosigh »

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #872 on: July 28, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »
What does everyone think...should a Gambit movie be R or PG-13? Deadpool & Logan made sense, and they both worked, but I'm on the fence on this one.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #873 on: July 28, 2017, 03:07:36 PM »
Shumar and Tatum have both said several times even a week ago that they don't believe they'll go beyond PG13. They might push the boundary in some places but in terms of language and graphic violence (the main reasons Deadpool and Logan got their rating), but that's it. If it goes R it'll probably be due to sexual content, but that would need to be a whole lot of it, not generally something we've seen from Tatum... outside of Magic Mike. I'd expect "Thriller-level" sexual content. Lots of it, but not lude and graphic... trying to think of a movie that has the level I'm talking about and all I can think of is Basic Instinct (not the tone, but the amount of sexual content that made it rated R. Wasn't shy on language either).
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #874 on: July 28, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »
Of the 3 characters, Gambit needs an R rating the least.
Who Dat

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #875 on: July 28, 2017, 05:59:03 PM »
I've always said Gambit really doesn't need an R rating. But if they decided to go that route I would embrace it. I have to say that it would be really interesting to see the physical destruction Gambit's powers could produce. That mixed with sexual scenes, nudity, and some hard language would definitely interest me. But it doesn't have to be hard R.

I liked what Tatum had to say. He said, he doesn't want to exclude kids from being introduced to Gambit because that's what he was (as most of us were) when he fell in love with the character. But depending on how everything plays out and where it takes them, they're not opposed to an R rating. That's pretty much exactly what I want to hear.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #876 on: July 29, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
Pg-13's can get away with a lot of physical destruction, just not a lot of blood.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #878 on: July 30, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »
Pg-13's can get away with a lot of physical destruction, just not a lot of blood.

That's really what I meant to say. The damage done to a human body by a powerful projectile explosive thrown from Gambit. That can't be done in PG-13. It would be interesting but it's not necessary. I also like the idea of Gambit throwing kinetically charged objects near his enemies to take them out by fallen debris, blocking off an escape, or just knocking the foe down with an intentional near miss. None of this hitting them directly and they get up nonsense. They have to establish his powers as formidable. If it's a direct hit on a human, it should definitely be a kill.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #879 on: July 30, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »
Outside of a couple instances, mostly in AoA, Gambit's explosions have typically always blown his targets BACK not up.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #880 on: July 30, 2017, 07:14:27 PM »
Yeah well that's mainly because Gambit is not normally featured in comics that are allowed to be graphically violent. Gambit has used many charged projectiles to blow up objects like walls or cars etc. If Gambit hits a human with a charged brick there will be pieces of that person scattered all around. Not something they could do in the T-rated comics he's usually in but if they went with an R-rating for the movie I'd be interested in seeing a scene or two like that. A charged card blowing up a wall but only knocking a person back is not very consistent. That's why I like him using the cards in an intentional "near miss" style and non lethal way to incapacitate opponents if they want to avoid killing/graphic killing. 

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #881 on: July 30, 2017, 07:55:12 PM »
I don't know. Gambit grew up on the streets, was adopted by thieves, one of his best friends and eventual wife was an assassin. Despite all of that he doesn't kill people with his powers. I spoke with a childhood friend recently and she said one of the reasons Gambit was a favorite of her's was because he wasn't gritty and gloomy.
If they were going to show the damage his powers can cause, I would rather it be in a flashback and use it to show why he isn't dropping people like Deadpool and Wolverine. It even be a quasi innocent scene where he and Belladona are throwing knives at a tree and Remy charges one, with the knife causing massive damage when it explodes, injuring Bella. They joke but Remy is worried and makes a comment like 'Maybe I stick with cards next time' as he stares at the tree.
Give him a 'I hate/don't use guns' kind of line. A way of informing the audience that he is being nonlethal without making us have a weird dialogue about it.

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #882 on: July 30, 2017, 11:04:35 PM »
If David Leitch is directing Deadpool 2, Fox should give Gambit to Chad Stahelski. Especially after John Wick 2.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #883 on: July 31, 2017, 02:29:56 AM »
If David Leitch is directing Deadpool 2, Fox should give Gambit to Chad Stahelski. Especially after John Wick 2.

Would love too. Loved both John Wick movies a lot. Second even better.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #884 on: July 31, 2017, 07:20:20 AM »
I think you should get the idea of Gambit blowing people (the human form) up in a live action-movie, out of your heads. If it does happen, it'll be once, more than likely to set up the story or conclude it. He isn't going to be making human confetti left and right. That's not the Gambit character and it'd be impractical to show on something south of NC-17, much less, R.