Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 385418 times)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #885 on: July 31, 2017, 08:33:54 AM »
I think you should get the idea of Gambit blowing people (the human form) up in a live action-movie, out of your heads. If it does happen, it'll be once, more than likely to set up the story or conclude it. He isn't going to be making human confetti left and right. That's not the Gambit character and it'd be impractical to show on something south of NC-17, much less, R.

Sometimes I wonder if my whole posts are being read. I made mention of it happening once or twice probably at the end to kill off a main baddie or two. Never implied he would be killing muthas left and right. If they go with an R rating then it is totally likely we could get a scene like that. I'm not sure where this "Gambit never kills" idea came from but I don't buy into to it. As an X-Man he is trying to do the right thing but if the situation calls for it, I can totally see him having to put someone down.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #886 on: July 31, 2017, 11:03:20 AM »

I'm not sure where this "Gambit never kills" idea came from but I don't buy into to it. As an X-Man he is trying to do the right thing but if the situation calls for it, I can totally see him having to put someone down.

It isn't that he can't kill but chooses not to, kind of...
His first meeting with Magneto, he says he isn't going to charge the cards enough to kill but in one of the solos, he leaves a guy to a demon's mercy.

My introduction to Gambit was very low realism. A Sega game first, then the cartoon, and finally the comics. None of them took a realistic approach to what an explosion would do to the human body. We already discussed this a bit with the Cap vs Gambit fight. In the Age of Apocalypse comics, which sealed the deal on Gambit and Blink being two of my favorites, Gambit never really came off as serious about everything until he drops Colossus. Which was a pretty cathartic scene, so I can definitely see how him doing that to the main villain would also be appealing. I don't find the idea of it necessary though, primarily because I think they will mess it up.

Sure, with a Gambit movie, they have a great chance to give a rebuttal to all the people that say Gambit has stupid powers and does nothing. It is just that most creative teams seem to go for style when drawing and not give due consideration to what they are showing. Most of the time Gambit's cards cause larger explosions than grenades and the can of beans did better than some missiles but I don't see that being conveyed properly, so I'd rather them avoid it.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #887 on: July 31, 2017, 01:06:41 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if my whole posts are being read. I made mention of it happening once or twice probably at the end to kill off a main baddie or two. Never implied he would be killing muthas left and right. If they go with an R rating then it is totally likely we could get a scene like that. I'm not sure where this "Gambit never kills" idea came from but I don't buy into to it. As an X-Man he is trying to do the right thing but if the situation calls for it, I can totally see him having to put someone down.

I don't buy "Gambit never kills" too. But this idea was shown in Nicieza's solo where Remy could blow villains into pieces with his eyes but refused to do so like in fights with NEO and Bullseye.
Gambit always was afraid of his powers so I think he will faster kill someone with normal knife then with charged card.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #888 on: July 31, 2017, 05:52:20 PM »
Good stuff. For me, I feel in a movie they need to do a decent job representing his powers and the strength he possesses. He is going to be represented as a solo character and only the the third one at that in the X-Men movie-verse. He has to be a formidable solo character. Wolverine is basically un-killable with an adimantium skeleton and matching set of claws. He will always win because he is virtually unstoppable. Deadpool is virtually un-killable as well but mixed with super-fighting abilities as well as guns and swords. Third now is Gambit who can be killed and isn't unstoppable. So they have to make up for it else where like  his speed and agility and ability to escape situations.  As well as his impressive power set. That's what he has over the other two. Having him hitting mortals with projectiles and merely knocking them back isn't very impressive. He's basically useless if a more powered foe comes along.  Like I said, a direct hit from his kinetic explosive projectiles should be enough to kill a mortal or at least send them into the intensive care unit. So I see him using them for indirect hits just taking people out of the situation for the time being. Unless they want to give him a mastery over his powers in the movie where he can control the force of the explosion in the objects he charges. That could fix things.

Just off the top of my head I can think of three instances where Gambit kills. Julien Boudreaux was killed by Gambit straight up in a duel(not counting that lame retcon where it was an accident), Gambit also killed the tithe collector in the Mackie miniseries, and Colossus in AoA. I think the stuff with him not wanting to kill just depends on the writer and what story they want to tell. I honestly don't have a problem with Gambit killing the occasional foe especially if it's to save someone else. I think that's within the characters scope. Not to mention, you would think Gambit is going to be played as a morally ambiguous character in the film. If they want to get into him being more hesitant about killing, maybe that can be an arc for him that spans a few films as he becomes more and more of a "good guy".
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:55:13 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #889 on: July 31, 2017, 06:55:38 PM »
I get where you are coming from and agree to an extent. I do have my own bias but will be more specific; Gambit has always seemed skittish at the thought of killing with his powers and not that he doesn't kill at all. Honestly, if they tweaked the Ultimate introduction of Gambit and still ended with him using his powers to fry the brain of the bad guy, I would have no issue with it. More than that though, I would rather them emphasize Gambit's combative pragmatism, cleverness, and ingenuity. Controlling his powers to do time delayed shape charges, also awesome.

My concern is that is that with Gambit's powers, they decide to go rule of cool and it turns out like, "Hey, Michael Bay, we got this character..."
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 12:36:41 PM by Meliorist »

Offline JJB26

• Winning
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #890 on: July 31, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »
I really don't want some Michael Bay-esque popcorn flick. I want something thematic and enthralling, and outside of the Dark Knight trilogy, there aren't very many PG-13 rated super hero films like that.

Aside from the examples of him using deadly force already given, I remember him killing a clone of Scalphunter in Fabian's solo and I think I remember him killing a couple of goons and the main villain in Asmus' solo. That being said, I don't think he should have high body count in this film because that would make him too similar too Logan and Wade. Now, I would have no objections to Belle and the Assassins Guild indulging in some bloody mayhem because that's what I expect from Assassins.
I'm no criminal. I just do as I please.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #891 on: July 31, 2017, 11:59:06 PM »
Now, I would have no objections to Belle and the Assassins Guild indulging in some bloody mayhem because that's what I expect from Assassins.

Agreed, that would work really well. They could have Gambit leading a team of thieves on a job and they bring Belle along as muscle in case everything goes pear shaped. Which it will.

I want something thematic and enthralling, and outside of the Dark Knight trilogy, there aren't very many PG-13 rated super hero films like that.

Agreed on this as well. Let some Marvel movies have emotional sincerity. The characters can banter and bicker but save it for the mooks if it is in a fight. If it is Sinister/ Marauders/ Hell Fire Club, let it have drama without undercutting it with quips.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #892 on: August 01, 2017, 07:22:01 AM »

Just off the top of my head I can think of three instances where Gambit kills. Julien Boudreaux was killed by Gambit straight up in a duel(not counting that lame retcon where it was an accident), Gambit also killed the tithe collector in the Mackie miniseries, and Colossus in AoA. I think the stuff with him not wanting to kill just depends on the writer and what story they want to tell. I honestly don't have a problem with Gambit killing the occasional foe especially if it's to save someone else. I think that's within the characters scope. Not to mention, you would think Gambit is going to be played as a morally ambiguous character in the film. If they want to get into him being more hesitant about killing, maybe that can be an arc for him that spans a few films as he becomes more and more of a "good guy".

Yeah, Gambit was a better swordsman then Julien and killed him in a duel. Carey was the one who made lame retcon with charged knife.
Not sure, but I think that Tithe Collector has survived explosion in first mini and appeared in Rogue mini.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:24:00 AM by purplevit »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #893 on: August 01, 2017, 07:29:01 AM »
LOL, Michael bay would definetely handle Gambit`s powers ;D

It reminded me Titanic video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxj1mou03M

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #894 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »
More than that though, I would rather them emphasize Gambit's combative pragmatism, cleverness, and ingenuity. Controlling his powers to do time delayed shape charges, also awesome.

My concern is that is that with Gambit's powers, they decide to go rule of cool and it turns out like, "Hey, Michael Bay, we got that is character..."

100% agree. That's definitely what I mean to imply when I say they need to display Gambit's "power set" well. They need to get into his enhanced agility, speed, dexterity, etc due to his powers. I'd love to see him dodge/deflect bullets. I'd love to see him use his staff as a boom stick. I'd love to see a time delayed charge as well. They can get real creative with his powers if they have the imagination. I want to see him use his ability to con and trick people too.  Like I said, if they gave him control over how much charge he puts in an item I'd be ok with him hitting mortals and not killing them. I hope this is at least part of the reason for taking their time with the movie. That they want to do more than a character with generic powers and really put together something unique and interesting. Honestly, not only would he be different than Wolverine and Deadpool, but he'd be more unique than the characters in the MCU.

purplevit, It doesn't really matter if a character showed up again later. Julien did too and if AoA wasn't just an alternate storyline that had an end, Colossus would be back too. Point is, for the purposes of those stories the objective was to kill. Nobody stays dead in comics. ;) No problem with Gambit killing the occasional bad guy.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #895 on: August 01, 2017, 02:50:23 PM »
You get me wrong. I am ok with Gambit killing Jullien.
I am not ok with Carey's story in Origins where Gambit was worse fighter then Jullien and was lucky that he killed him with charged knife.

Gambit must be a great h2h fighter in movie with speed and agility. So everyone will remember that he is dangerous.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 02:52:41 PM by purplevit »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #896 on: August 01, 2017, 03:36:30 PM »

You took my reply personally.. I didnt quote your post or anyone else's so this wouldn't happen funny enough. I was addressing everyone that thought it'd be okay to make Gambit rated R due to the nature of his powers. If it makes it any better, Purp feels similarly to you, but I disagree with him as well. My point had less to do with Gambit the character, and more to do with how ratings work. Violence against the human form is what counts as violence to the ratings setters. Only way to avoid that would be to cut away every time before the explosion set off. It's why you can have movies like John Wick (ignoring the language) Rated-R, but if they did a Gears of War movie (keeping the language under control) it could still be kept at PG-13. For instance, the Transformers movies stay under PG-13, but there's tons of violence and adult language and sexual situations, but that violence is padded because its fictional non-human beings and there's little to now blood spilt in the process.  If you have Gambit using his powers in a lethal manner more than handful of times (in full view of the audience), it'd immediately get a "R" or at least PG-13, and then they'd have to tiptoe for the rest of the movie to keep there. It'd limit what they could do while trying to market it. Fox still wants a leading man to take Wolverine's spot. That is not Deadpool. They cant market Deadpool to kids as a movie to take them to. Keeping Gambit PG-13 allows them to market differently, have more screenings at different times of the day. It's much bigger than you all think.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:04:51 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #897 on: August 01, 2017, 03:42:49 PM »
As for this "Gambit never kills" thing... who came up with that? I never did. But I can assure you, unlike Wolverine, I can recall every time he has on panel. Gambit can kill to defend his life or those around him, but he's not a killer. If any of you think otherwise, you never understood his character. He's more than his powers and shouldn't be defined by them. His powers are actually the opposite of who he is. They are brash, loud, and flashy. Gambit is smooth, charming and stealthy. It gives him depth. In a way you can say he doesnt even want his powers, at least not in the way most think. He tried to have them watered down and when he lost them after XXM, he didnt go on any journey to get them back. I can argue he adjusted and didnt really want them back all that much.

My outlook... If Gambit is going to be rated R for anything, it should be other things rather than violence. It's a new era Fox X-Men franchise, following Deadpool and Logan, it'd be expected. An R rating IMO should be because of content such as sexual situations. Now because that can easily push it up to PG-13 alone, they have room to tip it over by using language and THEN they can go over the top with a few scenes of graphic violence. But if anyone thinks it should get an R rating just due to his powers, then your asking for a movie that may not represent the Gambit you and I know, and most certainly not the one Fox, or Tatum want. It doesnt need to be Deadpool. If I'm looking at this right, they will use this as much a genre flick as they others. They got a Western in Logan, the action-comedy in Deadpool; Gambit is probably going to be something all its own. Most likely an action-thriller with healthy helpings of romance. It may even be a "caper" like the Thomas Crown Affair (but not nearly as stuffy, the main character makes things blow up lol) or crime-action-drama (again, not as serious though, still dealing with Channing Tatum here).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:05:48 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #898 on: August 01, 2017, 04:11:13 PM »
Noone says that Gambit is a killer or should be a killer.
I was saying that Gambit explosives must be dangerous so I added a few posts ago link from X-Factor where Gambit always throws cards near enemies.

I hated Origins when Gambit threw deck of cards into Logan and it did no damage even to his clothes. He was just thrown through wall.

I doubt that Gambit will throw a lot of cards in movie but as for me they must be like grenades. He may throw them only in cars, near people or into robots but they must make big damage.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #899 on: August 01, 2017, 04:15:06 PM »
Also I doubt that Gambit will be R.
If some characters will appear in it or sequel then it will be X-Men characters and not X-Force characters like in Deadpool.