Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 385357 times)

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #1200 on: December 15, 2017, 08:47:10 AM »
The movie has two big names attached to it...Tatum and Gore Verbinski, who did the first three Pirates of the Caribbean movies (downside, he also did The Lone Ranger). I'd be shocked if Disney scrapped it, considering it is slated to start filming in early 2018 (I think pushed to March now, but did they really want to be in New Orleans in February around Mardi Gras anyway? Just getting rooms for everyone would have been a nightmare).

On the plus side, this should free up the 'freeze" on Gambit merchandise. Funko, for example, could not do certain X-characters, as Disney put a freeze on them. I remember reading Gambit and Nightcrawler were two of them 

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1201 on: December 15, 2017, 09:39:15 AM »
I think what changes is expectations. This is a Marvel property now and making 300m may not be acceptable anymore, on the plus side, nor will they want to put out a measly 100k or less. Disney makes investments, not gambles (funny!). Buy Hollywood folk are indeed bringing up Gambit and Multiple Man as in danger of being shelved simply because of not being in production. However the acquisition isn't an overnight thing. It could take months or even a couple years to go into effect due to lingering deals and contracts. I think worst case scenario, they push forward with reintroducing The X-Men and mutants into the MCU and hopefully keep Tatum on in the role. Bad news is, it'd push the date again and make Tatum even older to start which may not be what they want to get into if Disney wants a long running franchise out of it. Fox may not have wanted to reneg on the IMAX deal, but Disney is like the Honey Badger. Honey badger don't give a @&$#.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #1202 on: December 15, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »

Offline M

• X-Man
« Reply #1203 on: December 15, 2017, 10:58:58 AM »
I think what changes is expectations. This is a Marvel property now and making 300m may not be acceptable anymore, on the plus side, nor will they want to put out a measly 100k or less. Disney makes investments, not gambles (funny!). Buy Hollywood folk are indeed bringing up Gambit and Multiple Man as in danger of being shelved simply because of not being in production. However the acquisition isn't an overnight thing. It could take months or even a couple years to go into effect due to lingering deals and contracts. I think worst case scenario, they push forward with reintroducing The X-Men and mutants into the MCU and hopefully keep Tatum on in the role. Bad news is, it'd push the date again and make Tatum even older to start which may not be what they want to get into if Disney wants a long running franchise out of it. Fox may not have wanted to reneg on the IMAX deal, but Disney is like the Honey Badger. Honey badger don't give a @&$#.

If Deadpool, and Old man Logan mean anything it's that Gambit will be a quality product.... Lotta time to think about it though
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 12:51:32 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1204 on: December 15, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
Honey Badger is actually the new codename of Gabby Kinney :) lol

But I think based off the successes of DP and Logan, Gambit will be unique just like those 2 and do well.
Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1205 on: December 15, 2017, 04:02:17 PM »
John Campea talks about it on his clog @13:00

https://youtu.be/g8q0zF2pclQ

Funny how he and those others on collider keep talking about it even though they swore it wasn't going to happen.

edit: fixed the text. Are you folks using a phone to reply? I'm still trying to figure out why some posts have the smallest text possible.  Thanks Don.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 04:43:27 PM by Nekobaghira »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1206 on: December 15, 2017, 05:08:55 PM »
Honey Badger is actually the new codename of Gabby Kinney :) lol

But I think based off the successes of DP and Logan, Gambit will be unique just like those 2 and do well.

Tatum told that movie is crazy. I am so excited to see what they prepared.

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #1207 on: December 15, 2017, 06:40:52 PM »
John Campea talks about it on his clog @13:00

https://youtu.be/g8q0zF2pclQ

Funny how he and those others on collider keep talking about it even though they swore it wasn't going to happen.

edit: fixed the text. Are you folks using a phone to reply? I'm still trying to figure out why some posts have the smallest text possible.  Thanks Don.

That’s the kinda stuff that got me to stop watching Collider. That and an episode of Red Letter Media’s Nerd Crew.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #1208 on: December 15, 2017, 08:11:24 PM »

That’s the kinda stuff that got me to stop watching Collider. That and an episode of Red Letter Media’s Nerd Crew.

Haha! Me too.

Point here is this movie is getting made. The deal isn't official until the review is approved. Which will take a while.

The only thing in danger is what happens after this movie comes. Channing Tatum wants a franchise and to continue to play the character. If the movie doesn't do well and doesn't mesh with what they want to do they could just kill Tatum's Gambit and move on. The future of Tatum's take is what is in possible danger. Not his present.

Campea and others are comparing the Gambit movie situation to Multiple Man, X-23 etc.The Gambit movie production isn't comparible to those others. Gambit is ready to film in 3 months. Multiple Man and X-23 are just vague ideas at this point. X-Force is too but nobody is saying that's in trouble.

Just people speculating about stuff they don't know much about for clickbait purposes. Campea disappoints though because I  feel like he should know more.

Offline deathsun

• Thief
« Reply #1209 on: December 15, 2017, 08:47:38 PM »
“Basically Fox — 20th Century Fox Studios — has some interesting tentpole opportunities, we obviously are going to continue to support that,” he said. “What they’ve done obviously with Avatar, and what they did with Deadpool, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Planet of the Apes is another one. We’ll stay in that business. Not all of it will be branded anything other than what it’s branded today, as a for instance. How much we will create under that banner, we’re still uncertain. It’s going to take a while from a regulatory perspective. They’ll continue to develop in that period of time and at such time as we close this deal and have control, we’ll take stock and really look carefully at what their slate looks like going forward and how many movies it would make sense to make.”

That is what we need to hear! I would be very mad if Disney get canceled the movie before filming starting in 2 or 3 months.

https://www.cbr.com/x-men-disney-fox-film-slate/?utm_source=CBR-FB-P&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-FB-P&view=list
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 08:51:53 PM by deathsun »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #1210 on: December 15, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
Pretty much confirming what I said. 8)

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1211 on: December 16, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »
Time wil tell, I guess. A positive sign would be more casting news in the very near future.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1212 on: December 16, 2017, 05:49:37 PM »
It's said the regularly process will take up to a year to complete. While the deal is sealed, nothing will be concrete until it passes government sanction and scrutiny. Gambit movie should be safe as long as they allow that which is in motion to stay in motion. Not just their movies but TV and Cable channels as well.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #1213 on: December 17, 2017, 08:21:57 AM »
Agreed. And 20th Century Fox is not going to stop doing business because of this deal. It will continue as it is expected to do. Whatever projects they're working on or have started should stay the same. Companies don't stop doing business because it was bought by another.

Later projects may get a review or change in status but by then, the merger will be much closer to done. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:10:27 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1214 on: December 17, 2017, 04:14:39 PM »
Yup 100% right Neko. Fox is still in the business of making money. So long as they have these rights, they'll make movies that they believe will make them money. Gambit will. X-Force will. I would love to see Franco get his shot at Multiple Man before the rights shift back too.
Who Dat