Author Topic: Gambit Movie News  (Read 392428 times)

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Re: Gambit Movie News
« Reply #1560 on: March 29, 2018, 09:31:37 AM »

Posted this in CBR in a thread speculating about Coogler directing a Bishop movie. 

I always liked the idea of a Gambit and Bishop movie where Gambit is of course a thief and Bishop is a cop hot on his trail. So almost like a mutant Heat with Bishop in the role of the Al Pacino character and Gambit in the role of the DeNiro character with their mutant powers replacing the guns. They make a great duo to play off each other as Gambit charges kinetic energy while Bishop absorbs it and Gambit is a thief while Bishop is a cop. It also makes for a great conflict because depending on your view, some will find Gambit the antagonist and Bishop the protagonist while others will consider it the reverse so the audience would have to choose sides as it is not a hero vs villain conflict but a hero vs anti-hero conflict.So the first movie sort of is set up as a standard thief vs cop battle but then sets up the sequel where we learn that Bishop is in fact from a future where the X-men are dead and he was raised by a guy calling himself the Witness who of course is none other than Gambit. So he in fact has gone back in time to try and stop Gambit from betraying the X-men as he thinks the Witness was the reason for the X-men's downfall.I always thought the nature of their relationship in the future and the present was one of the great missed opportunities by Marvel as the Bishop and Gambit comic didn't quite do it justice.That would be close enough to the original comic storyline where he thought Gambit was a traitor and make a lot more sense than him coming back in time to kill a baby. Instead, Gambit would essentially replace Hope as Bishop's obsession until Bishop ends up tracking him to the X-men with Bishop and Gambit eventually teaming up to uncover the real traitor.

That sounds amazing. Bishop is another who's been a favorite of mine since I was a kid

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1561 on: March 29, 2018, 09:36:54 AM »

Yes!!! You made my day! Thank you :)
welcome😉 I'm gonna assume/ hope they have a director if they have another start date.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1562 on: March 29, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »

It would be a fine mini. Much better then Sons of Atom.

I'm thinking more in the the film.  Like Bishop might be the cop that uncovers the existence of the Thieves and Assassin's Guild.  At first we think it is just because he's a cop working in say the organized crime division but later we find out it's because he is looking for Gambit in particular.

So he would in essence be a mini Antagonist always there, always hunting for Gambit while there is also a main antagonist that is more your classic villain such as Sinister.  You could run that thread through several movies with the two always ending up as uneasy allies to face off against a greater evil. 

Then later on you can get into the future stuff with Bishop being raised by Witness Gambit.  There is really a lot you could explore in the movies between Gambit and Bishop.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1563 on: March 29, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »
I could dig this idea. Probably wouldn't be the best way to introduce both characters. Perhaps have this follow up a X-Men film where Gambit is used, or even the Gambit solo. Might be a dope sequel. I like it. I think I'd like it if Bishop wasn't totally wrong about Gambit and it forces Gambit to face a mistake he's about the make, that it creates the future Bishop is trying to stop him from causing. Make when they have that "undressing" moment comes and they're able to talk without trying to kill or run from one another, it's emotional. Then both work together to solve the problem.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1564 on: March 29, 2018, 01:43:17 PM »
Was hoping against hope for soderbergh, but he says he's directing a film that costs under 2 mill next😫

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #1565 on: March 29, 2018, 01:46:53 PM »
Was hoping against hope for soderbergh, but he says he's directing a film that costs under 2 mill next😫

Soderbergh would've been cool, but I honestly don't really care who it is at this point as long as the person knows how to make a good movie.

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1566 on: March 29, 2018, 01:54:42 PM »

Soderbergh would've been cool, but I honestly don't really care who it is at this point as long as the person knows how to make a good movie.
true, because this needs to get going before the rights switch over to Disney

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #1567 on: March 29, 2018, 01:57:59 PM »

Well that just means it wont take long. It'll spend most of it's time in editing room and then be shopped around to festivals. Doesn't take him off the table.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1568 on: March 29, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #1569 on: March 29, 2018, 03:08:21 PM »
What a trash article. One of the worst I've read. I'm not going to bother and waste my time counter pointing the nonsense in that article. I'll just say, watch what happens if Gambit has a cameo in Deadpool 2 that is even decent. A lot of these idiots will start changing their tune and claiming that they thought the Gambit movie was a good idea all along.

Love to hear a confirmed filming for june 19 and the release date unchanged. I do feel they are still treating Gambit as a major priority.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #1570 on: March 29, 2018, 03:42:06 PM »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #1571 on: March 29, 2018, 04:25:16 PM »

Not even gonna give it a click. There's no point

I agree. No clicks for trash articles from haters.

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1572 on: March 29, 2018, 07:51:24 PM »
Nice to see an article FINALLY mention this about the similarites to deadpool.

"Channing Tatum has been channeling Ryan Reynolds in that he's been trying, and failing, to get this movie off of the ground for years..."

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/03/29/rumor-gambit-start-date-no-director-yet/

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #1573 on: March 29, 2018, 08:08:24 PM »

Well that just means it wont take long. It'll spend most of it's time in editing room and then be shopped around to festivals. Doesn't take him off the table.
True....

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #1574 on: March 30, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »
If the filming date holds true, I think it means we can expect something at the sdcc this year. Which would be great.