Author Topic: Marvel Solicits 2016 Thread  (Read 28985 times)

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
Re: Marvel Solicits 2016 Thread
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2015, 07:17:24 AM »
Well, tumblr fan girls seem to like them, judging by the many posts of this cover.

Remydat's story idea sounds great, which is why it probably won't happen: Marvel's not interested in telling stories that are good and help the characters progress.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 07:19:21 AM by Miss Misery »
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2015, 08:52:33 AM »
Duggan has been fantastic. I trust him with Gambit.  I remember not knowing much about him when he started his run on Deadpool and now I don't want anyone else to write the character.. with the exception of like.. Remender, Kelly, Nicieza, Bunn. So five writers lol. But you get it. He'll do right by Gambit and I hope that he stays on as a permanent character in the book.
Who Dat

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2015, 10:32:30 AM »
Duggan has been fantastic. I trust him with Gambit.  I remember not knowing much about him when he started his run on Deadpool and now I don't want anyone else to write the character.. with the exception of like.. Remender, Kelly, Nicieza, Bunn. So five writers lol. But you get it. He'll do right by Gambit and I hope that he stays on as a permanent character in the book.

people including me said the same thing about Carey at first then Gage , while i enjoy his Deadpool i wouldnt put him up with the likes of Kelly and Nicieza,

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »
At the end of the day it's less the writer and more editorial and their view for the line and its moving parts (characters). What makes a writer good isn't his/her wish but how they operate under direction and limitations. Some like Bendis and once upon a time, Remender and Carey, have less restrictions due to their leverage and contributions but its all relevant to the end product...

Carey got a lot of freedom to do as he pleased, I say this because most of it was erased or ignored less than a year after his departure. But in the end he saw his vision, no matter how odd in places, got realized.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2015, 12:50:25 PM »
people including me said the same thing about Carey at first then Gage , while i enjoy his Deadpool i wouldnt put him up with the likes of Kelly and Nicieza,

True enough. And in defense of Carey, he did write some good stuff.  He just didn't write Gambit well for the most part. Gage also didn't really write Gambit until Xmen Arena thing. But they had reputation and people gave them a benefit of the doubt and were disappointed.  

I think we've been bamboozled by reputation for quite some time. PAD is a great example. There was so much hope and general like for his work and yet he failed.

Rep aside - its what is in print that will be key.  As we've seen, being able to write some characters well doesn't mean they can write all of them well.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:55:00 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »
Peter David did alright with Gambit, IMO. The biggest problem with Gambit in the last few years has been stability we're all pretty cynical about any future appearances, being used to put over less interesting characters  without anything in return.

More people should be excited for Gambit's appearance in Uncanny Avengers, however some fear the shadow of Racky or another bumbling Gambit appearance, rather than Marvel's best thief!

I'd support Gambit appearing in one of Marvel's top titles, but I understand the apprehension in a book filled with Marvel's most promoted characters! Where and how will he fit in, coming back into the fold from creative exile?

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2015, 01:46:48 PM »
PAD started off great but he fooled us, he said Gambit would be a POV character and after the Danger arc he fell off really, i enjoyed the run and thought he did a good job, but he seemed to imply it was Gambits fault for low sales even though its proven when he was POV character sales were up, also that Scarlett Witch didnt help the comic was a slow burner problem is no one seems to be into those these days

Offline Faith

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2015, 01:54:07 PM »
Cover for Uncanny Avenger's #5

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/marvel-comics-january-2016-covers-and-solicitation/1100-153919/

I see this is being covering in the solicitations section but I missed it the first time.  Honestly, I've been so out of comics because of lack of interest, I don't know how this will go.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:12:20 PM by Faith »

Offline Faith

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »
Most important thing he isn't dead....

Yet.  - hopefully not.  That and Gambit going full-on creepy villain would be my second worry and then would be him just being wallpaper while Deadpool, Rogue or others do all the good stuff.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2015, 04:14:34 PM »
All good Faith - won't need a UA #5 thread til we get previews.  Thanks for info. 

As it is, I'm not buying the book until Gambit shows up and only because its a train wreck I can't seem to not watch. 

I just don't want a repeat of XML.  Being in a top title has not bode well for Gambit, which is part of why the apprehension.

I was fine with PAD, I get the complaints but I did like that version of ANXF and I think overall he was good with Gambit.  But it was so clear when PAD lost interest in Gambit. 

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2015, 12:36:05 AM »

As it is, I'm not buying the book until Gambit shows up and only because its a train wreck I can't seem to not watch.  

Couldn't have said it better. Hey at least it's a pretty train wreck. That cover I mean
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bigstupidjellyfish

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2015, 01:26:33 AM »
I don't think PAD lost interest in Gambit specifically, but that he lost interest in the title as a whole. He was very enthusiastic about the whole thing very early on, but then Marvel told him it was canceled and he stopped caring. It pretty much affected everyone except for Quicksilver, because PAD is always on point when it comes to him.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2015, 07:39:55 AM »
I don't think PAD lost interest in Gambit specifically, but that he lost interest in the title as a whole. He was very enthusiastic about the whole thing very early on, but then Marvel told him it was canceled and he stopped caring. It pretty much affected everyone except for Quicksilver, because PAD is always on point when it comes to him.

Better assessment, it did show in his work.  Like he was phoning it in because it was cancelled.

@Don - yes, I think the cover is nice.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:42:28 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2015, 06:06:26 PM »
Unprofessional imo.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2015, 07:00:02 PM »
Unprofessional imo.

totally agree with you, even in an interview he tried to excuse the low sales on characters and fans not being into the long burn storys that they only want events and quick resolution's, which i kind of agree with that statement but still take responsibility, even the previous X-Factor run he blamed an artist for getting it canceled