Author Topic: Marvel Solicits 2016 Thread  (Read 28968 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Marvel Solicits 2016 Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 08:55:35 PM »
I agree. I know Duggan is a fan of Rogue, but not Carey superfan. I also rember when he was first writing Deadpool he did a Reddit AMA interview and said he loved all things 90s and even brought up Gambit being best as the "Anti-Hero" like when he first debuted and loved the fact that nobody trusted him except a few like Storm.

I'm good with the anti-hero role for Gambit.  To me that is who he is and should always be like that. And I really do hope he likes the character.  And not Carey like because we've seen that, there was 8 or more years of that stuff, we don't need that kind of like for the character.

Most important thing he isn't dead.... also is this a 616 or altered version?

I suppose but if he turns back into Racky Lebeau or loses his character again for the sake of Rogue, then I won't be a happy fan and would have preferred death to that type of treatment.

That is why there is such a strong reaction, it goes beyond whether one romys or not.  This issue completely whiffs of another triangle.  There is more to Gambit.  IMO

I know we don't know yet and we'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:02:23 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 09:05:45 PM »
For the newer members please can someone explain racky?

Also what do you think his interactions would be with the rest of the team..  I can't see Deadpool keeping his mouth shut.

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2015, 09:14:48 PM »
I was quite wrong before! I am quite surprised and cautiously excited to see Gambit in UA, here's hoping it's worthwhile :)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2015, 09:27:01 PM »
For the newer members please can someone explain racky?

Racky Lebeau was our affectionate name for Gambit based on his characterization in Xmen Legacy written by Mike Carey.  Gambit didn't do anything or very little in the 8 long years he was on the team.  Marvel was in its "character focus" thing.  Once it was on Rogue, all Gambit did was wait for her, pine for her and didn't do anything. It was promised in an interview that Gambit would have some big action scene.  Nope, one panel of him charging Rockslide.  That was it.  

Toadman005 did a photo manip of a scene replacing Gambit with a coat rack wearing Gambit's trench and the scene didn't change.  That is, anybody could have been in those panels.  

Gambit wasn't utilized and any story Carey had promised he would do with Gambit was quickly dropped. Carey did a great job in interviews, he knew the character for the most part. But he just didn't write him. The times he wrote him well was probably unintentional because Rogue looked bad in those scene.

Gambit wasn't any better under Gage, who wrote him freakin' out over a kiss with Frenzy, a woman he had slept with before.  It was literally a ridiculous run for Gambit.

Gambit's character was lost in XML, nobody recognized the Gambit that was in XML. The solo by Asmus was a character rehab and re-established him.

Not saying there were not some issues where Gambit was done well, but those were very few.

I can't find the art right now.  Maybe Toadman005 will repost for us.  I will post the avatar we still have for Racky.

Also what do you think his interactions would be with the rest of the team..  I can't see Deadpool keeping his mouth shut.

TBH - that is the only redeeming thing for me right now.  Gambit and Deadpool interaction is a must read I think.   ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:33:23 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 09:35:57 PM »
Tragic as it is that racky thing is hysterical.... Maybe if they do treat him like that again we can just fill their mail box with printed versions... Though I may fear the writer blow back on that :).

I am keen to see a match of bad one liners between them.... I imagine they would poke fun at each other. Just hope Duggan doesn't favour Deadpool too much in the exchanges. It's no fun if it doesn't flow both ways :).

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 09:41:46 PM »
He sure did freak out... Like a teenaged boy in a manga / anime series. It was pathetic. It's sad what happened to him under Carey, because he showed us how good of a writer he was in his Origin's issue and the AoX event.

But from what I'm gathering from here and CBR, almost everyone is genuinely concerned on how this will be played out. Even the Rogue diehards aren't sold that Gambit isn't going to be featured well.

I didn't even notice how similar it was to X-Men #24... I have that issue.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:44:44 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2015, 09:49:46 PM »
Tragic as it is that racky thing is hysterical.... Maybe if they do treat him like that again we can just fill their mail box with printed versions... Though I may fear the writer blow back on that :).

It is funny.  It's why Toadman005 did the art, and I took his work and made the avatar.  It was our way of getting rid of some frustration by making fun of Xmen Legacy. Some of us even used that avatar here and CBR to show our dislike for the treatment.

I am keen to see a match of bad one liners between them.... I imagine they would poke fun at each other. Just hope Duggan doesn't favour Deadpool too much in the exchanges. It's no fun if it doesn't flow both ways :).

Once always hopes that characters are always balanced.  I would think they could easily bust each others chops.

@Don, yeah, allot folks noticed the cover similarities, I do think its a throwback type thing.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2015, 10:00:27 PM »
That's the thing... "Throw back". That was the issue where ish got real for them. By all means it was the beginning of Romy. Everyone here knows I'm a fan of the couple, but I don't want it forced. Remove the meta and what we know about Carey and favoritism; Gambit kind of got ran through the mud with zero concern, especially from Rogue. I think pushing them on each other now makes him look like a... To say it nicely, a fool. Weak. Pitiful.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »
IA Don. I would also would rather have more development for Gambit.  And you bring up a good point.  It seldom gets addressed but Rogue is seldom written as giving two s***s about Gambit.  And the solo aside, which when you consider XML was actually out of character for her because she hasn't shown to care about him in a long time. Rogue just walks all over Gambit.

It has to be equal.  It can't be like has been for the last ten plus years.  IMO

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2015, 10:56:27 PM »
So don would him arriving for an Arc under dubious terms kicking ass taking aomething for personal gain but doing the right thing in the end helping rogue. Saying I got your back to her and off to another team before ships get involved be a best case scenario. Starting the repair having some action but leaving before getting bogged down?

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 11:27:38 PM »
Neko- I know it seemed to drag on forever, but legacy didn't last eight years.  ;D

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
So don would him arriving for an Arc under dubious terms kicking ass taking aomething for personal gain but doing the right thing in the end helping rogue. Saying I got your back to her and off to another team before ships get involved be a best case scenario. Starting the repair having some action but leaving before getting bogged down?

Oh no, not at all. I wouldn't have him there at all. But he's is going to be there so all I can do hope for the best... It's a messy situation already, with existing angst, his presence exasperates the situation. I don't know enough about Duggan to guess what he's going to do, but from what already there and the lack of development Gambit has gotten in terms of his relationship with Rogue... Got to say it again, that's a beautiful cover. Hope the rest of his stay is as pleasant.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2015, 11:38:52 PM »
Neko- I know it seemed to drag on forever, but legacy didn't last eight years.  ;D

*chuckles* I was close - Carey started with Xmen #188 in 2006 - and then the books title changed in 2008, and ended in 2012.  Makes it six years then.    ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:02:07 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2015, 12:08:04 AM »
I would prefer Gambit be an anti-hero in this and an antagonist to the Avengers perhaps due to his role as head of the Thieves Guild but more than likely this will be the reappearance of Racky which will at least provide me with some great moments in unintentional comedy.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2015, 12:14:46 AM »
Oh no, not at all. I wouldn't have him there at all. But he's is going to be there so all I can do hope for the best... It's a messy situation already, with existing angst, his presence exasperates the situation. I don't know enough about Duggan to guess what he's going to do, but from what already there and the lack of development Gambit has gotten in terms of his relationship with Rogue... Got to say it again, that's a beautiful cover. Hope the rest of his stay is as pleasant.

It is a cool cover. I was just trying to figure a  way he could get in an out before the whole torch thing explodes and he can step back afterwards missing any possible character assassination and maybe getting some development along the way.

Though I am trying to figure how they might develope him as part of this team. Maybe he and dead pool do the off the book jobs for the team? The ones the public doesn't see almost an x force tucked inside an avengers team...