Author Topic: Asmus' Gambit run in retrospect  (Read 15174 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Asmus' Gambit run in retrospect
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 10:57:41 AM »
That's cool that Asmus is willing to still discuss his work on Gambit. I wonder now that some time has passed, if he's willing to really open up about where he wanted to take things and how he felt working on the book.  Is he currently writing anything for Marvel? A Star Wars book maybe? I'm not sure.

Also interesting that he was asked to create new characters, seeing as how now the big rumor is that writers aren't allowed to do that for x-books.

The last thing he did was All New Inhumans. It had a good premise, but unfortunately was part of that "replace the X-Men with Inhumans"- thing Marvel said they weren't doing. So it didnt survive past IvX. If it was left to it's own devices or perhaps not part of that "Inhumans over X-Men" I think it would have been better, but it was so similar to X-Men it... kinda offended me? The art was good, the intrigue was awesome, but it was essentially X-Men without X-Men. For instance, the first book had Crystal and Gorgon leading a team of Nuhumans to find and rescue newly discovered Nuhumans around the world, in a super advanced jet. In this case from a mob of angry humans led up by an organized hate group out to rid the world of the "alien scum". Sound familiar? That upset me, but then at the end of that same issue Crystal and their spokesperson are trying to win favor with the UN. They are showing a group of them around Attilan when a renegade mutant randomly attacks out to get "revenge" for all mutant-kind. Turns out to be Frenzy. They subdue and capture her, leaving the UN reps in terror and in the debt of the Inhumans for saving their lives, now basically on their side in the case of "Mutant vs Inhuman" conflict. At the very end we find out it was all staged. Crystal used Frenzy to create sympathy for the Inhumans and drum up some good will so the world would recognize them as a sovereign nation (they were having issues crossing borders to go after the Nuhumans). Frenzy goes along with it after being promised that the Inhumans will work on a cure for the cloud. I hated the X-Men lite stuff but LOVED the political intrigue. I read up to issue 2 or 3, so I don't know how it ended.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 06:52:24 AM »
No way Marvel would ever allow Gambit to kill Kingpin in such badass style with charged bullet. So I glad Asmus created Cich. Also bigger vaillains gallery for Gambit is always good.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 08:27:30 AM »
Well Cich died because he was an original character. A character on the level of Kingpin would surely have been safe, possibly even coming out on top. If the story went on, from what I can gather Gambit would have eventually come into contact with Kingpin as he would undoubtedly been one of his marks but because he is the Kingpin, Gambit would end up pinched somehow. You just don't get over on Kingpin without losing something. He's the Kingpin. Asmus seemed to want Gambit to cross into psuedo villainy, at least con-crooks and crime bosses. Eventually he'd probably end crossing too many or the wrong big bad and have to get his "associates" involved (various X-Men, Deadpool, Spiderman Daredevil etc.).However probably half-way con them as well, so he gets his help he wants but keeps the profit. I would have been soooo in for that. If you take the last page of his solo, and how enthused Gambit was calling that meeting of the Cardinals, I think we would have gotten quite a ride.

But if you look closer, editorial wanting him to make original characters makes sense if you take into consideration on how limited he was creatively. It goes along with the idea of them not letting him use established characters. Which is why we got Joele and Cich to begin with and only got Rogue, Tombstone, War Machine and Wisdom as characters with speaking roles. Outside of the Rogue, all secondary or C-list characters that barely see the light of day (in the cases of Tombstone and Wisdom at least). Not to mention all those characters like the Leaper and Asp at "the Club with No Name". Thor, Cap and Wolverine only showing up in face was kind of distracting as they never uttered a word as if they would be paid by each. Wolverine staying silent made the least bit of sense, seeing his background and relationship with Gambit.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:31:00 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »
Intrested if Asmus ever wanted to use Sinister in it. Still upset a little that we got issue with fairies but no Sinister in last solo.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 06:47:26 PM »
You think he would have been given permission to use a high-profile villain like Sinister? His highest level bad was Tombstone. I doubt he would have been able to use Sinister. But I don't think the tone needed for Sinister would have matched the book imo. If it had been given a chance to continue. Maybe. Perhaps Sinister could have been one of those villains he cons, in disguise of course.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 07:10:57 PM »
Sinister would bring some dark to the series what it really needed. It was too light at some moments.
I liked Tombstone in it. But still a bad moment that Gambit had no big fight with him wich was a huge must be at the end of arc.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »
I agree. The story was a bit lite but hardly weak. What Asmus was describing didn't sound as soft as this run had been. Less introspective and more action oriented.

Offline M

• X-Man
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 05:17:52 AM »
I agree. The story was a bit lite but hardly weak. What Asmus was describing didn't sound as soft as this run had been. Less introspective and more action oriented.

lite
I liked maybe loved Asmus on his run -Mann for sure helped the run- but Asmus: tombstone? bro? c'mon bro  :gambit:

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 07:50:18 AM »
I thought it was a good run as well. And if that's what Asmus can do while handcuffed by editorial, I can only imagine what it would have been like had he been able to do whatever he wanted like Bendis usually does.
Who Dat

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 06:26:12 PM »
Not ungrateful for Asmus or anything but if he would be able to do anything he wanted to do then Gambit would be bi.
So I think I am ok that he was handcuffed by editorial.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:00:46 PM by purplevit »

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 07:03:29 PM »
Good point.
Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2017, 09:18:55 PM »
Not ungrateful for Asmus or anything but if he would be able to do anything he wanted to do then Gambit would be bi.

That's true. But there's a line between handcuffs and directing. There's a balance they just didn't achieve.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »

I actually would have liked to see that, if it was done right, that is.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 11:49:14 AM »

I actually would have liked to see that, if it was done right, that is.

Thing is, it probably wouldn't be done right, and probably shouldn't. It's too easy and opens the character up too easily for ridicule by trolls. Too much "I knew it", "he wears pink" etc. Doesn't help the LGBTQ community either by carrying on a stereotype.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »

Thing is, it probably wouldn't be done right, and probably shouldn't. It's too easy and opens the character up too easily for ridicule by trolls. Too much "I knew it", "he wears pink" etc. Doesn't help the LGBTQ community either by carrying on a stereotype.

Respectfully disagree. Just because it opens ridicule from trolls doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Trolls will be trolls - just ignore them. Also, are you saying Gambit being bi would be a stereotype? How so?