Author Topic: Asmus' Gambit run in retrospect  (Read 15170 times)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
Re: Asmus' Gambit run in retrospect
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2018, 07:14:00 PM »
In terms of pure characterization then perhaps.  I prefer FabNic and the later arc of Asmus run because I think both brought in more of the Gambit's lore and rogue's gallery.  To me that is when Gambit feels like a fully realized character.  When he has Fence, the Thieves Guild, Sinister, Scalphunter, Sabes, etc. to play off of.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2018, 09:00:46 PM »
I actually feel the same way, Don. If someone asked me to either recommend the first arc of Fabian's Gambit or the first run of Asmus' Gambit, I would recommend the latter.  ON TOP OF everything you've listed as to why, I would also like to add that the beginning of Fabian's run carries a lot of baggage with what had happened prior. Asmus picked up Gambit after he'd been relatively quiet in the books for a little while, which required less of the reader to really be aware of. And anything we did need to know, Asmus cleared it all up within the first two pages of issue #1.
Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2018, 10:00:35 PM »
I will quantity this by saying Gambit #5  of FabNic run is one my all time favorite books.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Are Gambit Issues 1-4, definitive?
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2018, 02:22:51 AM »
I pulled out my old Gambit issues again and read through the first arc in a sitting. I respect and love Fabian's run, but I have to ask... Is Asmus/ Mann first arc of their Gambit run the definitive Gambit? I mean that book had everything a Gambit fan could ask for. He was sleek, resourceful, funny, competent, expertly drawn. If I had to submit an arc to someone to introduce them to Gambit I think these four issues would be the best example of the character.

It was good but could be better. First arc by Asmus should have been 3 issues and not 4. Issue 3 did almost nothing and was just filler.

If I wanted to introduce someone to Gambit I would give Fabian`s first issues of Gambit. I think because of Skroce. Mann`s Gambit may be the best looking Gambit but Skroce really gave Gambit speed and agility and fighting skills.

Fabian/Skroce`s Gambit would kick the hell out from Amsus/Mann`s Gambit :gambit:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 02:24:28 AM by purplevit »

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2018, 06:48:53 PM »
It seems like less 'action' is a more common thing lately. Now it's all about the explosions.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2018, 06:56:49 PM »
Yeah, seems hard to do slick action scenes. Back when I first started reading comics and tried to learn how to draw, the Marvel drawing books would advise 'don't show the hit, show the aftermath' and now it seems people want to show the face warping around the fist. To me that seems to slow down the feel of the actions but that could just be me.

Offline M

• X-Man
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2018, 10:12:20 AM »
RIght right

Askings about a run as 'definitive' isn't... I dunno? what would it be called?