Author Topic: Iceman's Solo  (Read 2830 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Iceman's Solo
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2017, 04:28:17 PM »
I stopped supporting the book early on. I was disappointed with how Bobby's sexuality was handled. There are no right words so I'll pick up where I thought should have been addressed. There was literally 4 pages total devoted to Iceman's coming out and was a forced outing via teen Jean (2 pages for teen Bobby, 2 pages for adult Bobby - two different books).

I think the first issue or arc should have dealt with what the struggle was like for him, flashbacks or something. He was gay, and that was it for the solo. 

I have not read enough issues, but I did buy a few. The twitter folks who follow seemed to have loved the solo and thought it was great. I accept that this was not a book for me.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 04:32:16 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2017, 04:35:28 PM »
I've been there and I hate that feeling. Like, is it better to support a book like that despite its bad quality or is it better to not support it and let it be cancelled (in which case there wouldn't be another shot at a similar book for years)? I usually end up choosing the latter.

Truth in that. I know I've spent money on books I didn't like with Gambit in them because I didn't want him to lose the next shot. I can tell you, I was not a fan of the 2nd year first solo, it was too out there but I bought anyway, the art was awful too.

At least now, I'm not doing that anymore. I haven't bought an issue of Astonishing since #5. I haven't even read it or the prior one either.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2017, 09:13:59 PM »
A lot of books are getting the axe and some of the creators are trying to say "Marvel is getting rid of all their queer books" ignoring books like Luke Cage and Hawkeye also are ending. It's less about identity politics and more about bad sales. I think it's about time books are judged and supported by Marvel based upon merit and sales and not the color or sexuality of the characters or creative team. America was selling sub 10k and Iceman wasn't doing much better, same as Bishop with Hawkeye doing the best of the lot but still well below that threshold. I hope this is the end of the age of comics existing "just because" and a sign that Marvel is going to be initiating projects that their fanbase wants to support. No more headline comics.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2017, 03:00:31 AM »
A lot of books are getting the axe and some of the creators are trying to say "Marvel is getting rid of all their queer books" ignoring books like Luke Cage and Hawkeye also are ending. It's less about identity politics and more about bad sales. I think it's about time books are judged and supported by Marvel based upon merit and sales and not the color or sexuality of the characters or creative team. America was selling sub 10k and Iceman wasn't doing much better, same as Bishop with Hawkeye doing the best of the lot but still well below that threshold. I hope this is the end of the age of comics existing "just because" and a sign that Marvel is going to be initiating projects that their fanbase wants to support. No more headline comics.

Captain Marvel still going. Should have been cancelled 6 years ago because of sales.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2017, 07:53:34 AM »
Not just Captain Marvel, I don't think Ms. Marvel is any better sales wise - it gets kudos out the wazoo but kudos only goes so far when it comes to money. If I'm wrong about Ms. Marvel where sales are concerned, tell me.

I have looked at Squirrel Girl's sales and why that book is still a monthly ... I don't know.

Certainly when it comes to Gambit and solos he's held to a higher sales standard.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2017, 09:11:29 AM »
Squirrel Girl and Marvel's are still there due to investment. Disney is going to be using SG as their in with kids. It's why she looks so goofy now. The Marvel's... They hold the Marvel name, they are going to give them all kinds of leeway, esp Cap Marvel who's got a show coming. They want her to be their Wonder Woman. They've wanted this a long time. Doesn't really seem to be working? DC's big three is Bats, Sups, and WW. Marvel's is Cap, Ironman, and Spiderman (present day anyway. I think Wolverine used to be in there). I think they want Cap Marvel to replace Ironman which is probably why cwii ended the way it did and why Tony became such a douchebag before that. Then there was this brief time they were pushing Cap Falcon, She-Thor, and Miles-Spidey above all.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 03:11:57 PM »
Didn't think it was worth starting a new topic for, but it sounds like this is coming back with Sina Grace as writer: https://news.marvel.com/comics/89958/iceman-returns-this-september/

I'll probably give it a shot since Bishop is in it.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 05:35:07 PM »
I saw something about this on twitter but sort scroll on by it. Well, good for them for giving a second chance.