Author Topic: Marvel and DC - Diversity?  (Read 2815 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Marvel and DC - Diversity?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2017, 07:22:29 PM »
'Diversity', in and of itself a 'good thing'. Heck, being a '90's kids' I can get 'nostalgic' for characters like storm, bishop, jubilee and psylocke ( I didn't know psylocke wasn't really Asian back then) and forge, etc... But when pretty much all the 'flagship' character are replaced in like two years, it seems more like a gimmick than an 'organic' storyline.  Especially when other 'organic' storylines have been deliberately squashed to push other gimmicks. I'm not going to comment on how well executed the various replacement titles have been, (maybe they were all great...) because I dropped all marvel titles a while ago and have just barely started picking up a few things here and there.

Ironically,  while the 'diversity push' was going on, marvel was also doing 'not so diverse' stuff like shelving storm, to push edgy cyclops, turning bishop into a maniac to push plot device hope, turning forge into a maniac and then a clingy vaguely stalker type, for no good reason whatsoever... and the reason I stopped reading, xmen legacy, which was one of marvel's only female lead comics at the time, featured such stunningly misogynistic reasoning like he does horrible things to her, but she shouldn't think so much about, because that's what love really is. So I don't think marvel is always sincere on their diverse front.

So that combined with the unabashed, obvious gimmicks, like the video was talking about, constant cross overs and re-launches, that is likely the 'problem'.

Not to mention not utilizing fan favorites of color Frenzy and Cecelia, both who happen to female. It's not often these types of characters gain fans and interest. Find it odd that they'd rather push yet another blue-eye blonde hair type instead (have you counted how many X-Men have blue eyes and blonde hair? Same with main Avengers. I mean dang. It's as bad as Street Fighter, but at least we can say Japanese have a funny view of people not from Japan lol).
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony