its okay
1 (7.1%)
sometimes
2 (14.3%)
its good practice for writing
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: June 23, 2017, 03:49:32 PM

Author Topic: Fanfiction, for you or not?  (Read 406 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Fanfiction, for you or not?
« on: June 09, 2017, 03:49:32 PM »
Fanfiction ....

There is tons of it and for many fandoms. Do you like? Hate it? Mildly enjoy it?
Are you wanting to write it because you aspire to be a writer ...

Is it good, bad, indifferent?

And do you have specific complaints about it

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Fanfiction, for you or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
I'll start this .... I chose its good for writing .. because practice is a good thing. Problem is when its treated as a derogatory term.

I said sometimes because I think those writing it sometimes don't recognize things.

For example ... telling your readers its a "slow burn" ... okay .. but how long is it before its too long and when does the reader get burned by waiting so long.

I do believe there is such a thing as fatigue for a reader.  Whether that is too much angst, too much build up - yes, oddly enough you can only drag out plot points so long before you can just skip to where the story should be - there has to be a balance.

It's like visual overload with movies, specifically action flicks. My example will be Transformers - its a visual overload - its intense on the eyes, and the brain has to figure out how much you can take before it switches up. Some handle it better than others but you get whiplash from the assault.

How many chapters is too many .. how do you gauge progression ... is it too slow or too fast. We can catch too fast far more easily than too slow. What is too long?

I haven't read an Xmen fanfic in ages ... and truth be told, I'm cheating on this fanbase with another. One far more active and with that activity comes its own set of issues and its reflected in fanfic as well as other areas of fandom.

I see terms used that now are things for me to say ... I don't want to read it because there is no filter for when something is not balanced. I don't know the right way to explain it.

You can only take so much angst before its too much. You can only move the plot slowly so much before its tedious. "Slow burn" verses natural progression - where is the balance and when does it become fatiguing.

Why is action/adventure not embraced as much as it could be ... why is romance so prevalent. Why do fanfic writers dismiss or disparage romance novelist so harshly when they are actually writing the same thing only its a fanfic?

Just some things that needed to be expressed and this is the only place I'm comfortable stating it.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
I don't really pay much attention to it. So I chose it's good practice for writing.. because that's what they say. If you want to write... write everything.

But yeah, I don't pay much mind to it. And I think sometimes people push for things that are common in fanfic (ships especially) in canon writing and that gets really annoying. Sometimes canon writing FEELS like fanfic, where creators aren't doing research but just writing whatever they want. So I can't really contribute much since I don't read or write it, lol.. but that's my 2 cents.
Who Dat

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
I do think its great for practice. You want to write and make a living at it ... great way to go ... you get feedback, you learn to develop better in all areas story wise. Its not as a "gift" as it were .. and you tap into a creative part of you.  I really do like this aspect.

As for the rest .. well, I guess the pwp's are something. Depends on how you look at the material. In the end .. even this stuff is practice for a romance novel.

Ships are problematic ... either they are or aren't .. what to do with them.

There is a whole lot of the "eye of the beholder" thing and there is nothing wrong with that.

It brings me to another topic ... but .. can't decide if it should be here or elsewhere.

Offline Sheba

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 01:58:19 AM »
I love it. I'm writing all the time.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 01:53:40 PM »
I think that is great that you write all the time. I write from time to time.  ;D

I think I'm frustrated with people who write really long stuff with absolutely no progression. Not all long fics are like that, I know this.

In another fandom, I found a story, had a good premise its got 46 chapters so far. After chapter 12 ... I couldn't take it any longer .... you can only do fake angst or drag out drama so much before its tiring.  If the idea is to have people read your story and possibly comment positively on it, you wouldn't want the reader to just skip paragraphs. Right? And I have no problem skipping stuff. Heck I can do with published novels too. LOL

At some point the story needs to move forward. I'm also not a fan of angst/hurt/comfort type stuff to begin with, so when actually reading that stuff - it needs to be handled well and not deeply dwell-ed on. It's not good reading.

I think in general, I wished there were better stuff ... and some understanding of reader fatigue.  I guess in my opinion there should be some balance in story telling.

Just me though.  ;)

Offline Nevaratoiel

• Artisian
  • X-Man Legend
  • I don't bite... hard...
    • Gambit's Royal Flush Fanlisting
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 04:52:57 PM »
I love reading fan fiction. I like elaborate writing, but it has to go somewhere at some point, some action and conversations. I read all kinds of stuff about my various interests.

I did write fan fiction at some point, but due to a massive writer's block, I stopped. I want to go on, but because of lack of creativity I can't get get anything done... I have quite a few unfinished stories...  :-\
Nicole a.k.a. Nev a.k.a. Neva

I come and go, and come and go, but you're not rid of me that easy... ;D
ELFAE | Gambit's Royal Flush Fanlisting

Offline donna67

• Mark
    • Leczenie trądziku różowatego grudkowo krostkowego
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 03:36:20 AM »
Even when I was a kid I loved such stories with Harry Potter in the lead role.  Of course I read all the parts and watched all the movies.  Once upon a time I read stories in which the heroes were members of the tokio hotel team.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »
There is so much for the Harry Potter fandom. I can imagine sitting for days with it if it was my thing.

Never heard of the Tokio Hotel Team but that is why there is google. LOL

Currently, I'm reading Shadowhunter's fanfic. It reminds of Xmen in that it can be really good and really bad at the same time. :)