Author Topic: Astonishing X-Men  (Read 20255 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Astonishing X-Men
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2017, 05:32:15 PM »

What I wrote on CBR.

I think some of you are actually under playing this book. That actually felt like an issue of X-Men. Yeah, it was over priced, the pacing was a bit rushed and the banter was somewhat too bantery, and as a Gambit fan, Soule is either ignoring his back story or belittling him in a manner I'm not 100% on board with but the issue was solid. The art was handled much better than the cover, I doubt it'll last knowing Marvel.

I really enjoyed the book and while I was distracted by some of the above, I thought it was breath of fresh air. I haven't liked a X-Men book that much since that short era when we had Spurrier, Asmus and Hopeless writing.

But my hope that Soule would keep Gambit's wealth in mind is dashed significantly. This thing between him and Fantomex was fun at first, I really liked it! I thought I was funny, and then it got too serious. Like within two panels it went from LOL to "what the heck?"

My GG response;

I agree. It was a good issue and not because it "so so" but because it had some issues with pacing and one or two characterizations but it was a very well written book compared to what we've gotten in the past few years. Not perfect at all but a huge step up. Gambit wasn't much more than prop in this issue but at least he wasn't a speed bump. While Fantomex seemed to be menacing, Gambit wasn't at all timid, he threatened Fantomex once or twice. Except once with the "why are you airing out..." statement. As a fan and acknowledged reader, I didn't like the "common thief" crack. But these are nitpicks. I think the book had more up than down. Just hope it keeps trending upward.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:39:44 PM by Nekobaghira »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 05:44:56 PM »
Don - I did the quote thingy for you on your post - :)

I agree with you. The pacing was off, but overall the set up did what it was suppose to do which is introduce us the plot, and cast. While not strong reasons for this group to work together it wasn't a horrible explanation either.

I found some amusement between Fanto and Gambit, but maybe I'm tired and outside temp was getting to me. *wink*

Now, I hate to say this because its not good. But I don't see myself going back to catch up on the plot beyond a word bubble here or there. The story was cohesive and I found I could follow without reading it all. Not sure if that is good or bad, just is for me.

Spoonz, since I'm using attachment or link method ... give me a few days for the issue to not be "new" and then I'll put up some scans. :)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »

Now, I hate to say this because its not good. But I don't see myself going back to catch up on the plot beyond a word bubble here or there. The story was cohesive and I found I could follow without reading it all. Not sure if that is good or bad, just is for me.

Lol I had the same thing going on. I was accidentally skimming the pages instead of reading and had go back several times because I realized I just skipped four panels but somehow didn't lose grasp of the story.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2017, 07:33:52 PM »
I really tried to bury myself into the story on my first read through but that lasted barely three pages. The narration gives away the villain just by word choice, clever of the writer. Psylocke being in her 'work' clothes was immediately jarring, followed by Bishop looking like he is in his own uniform...at a library. Warren's dramatic entrance made me go back a page because I was so certain I missed something. How did he get through the blades unscathed, but they cut Rogue? His messiah complex is worrisome as well but I haven't read any comics lately that don't have Gambit, so no idea how long that has been around.

The interaction between Gambit and Fantomex was interesting. Fantomex was reasonable considering the job that Gambit contracted him to help with fell through but there doesn't seem to be any love lost between the two. It is more like a professional understanding. The artist and writer might have different takes the interactions between Gambit and Fant. The artist seems to think they are friends to an extent and the writer seems to think they see each other with personal disdain but professional pride doesn't let it interfere.

Bishop and Rogue... is that just Rogue's thing now?

Somethings I liked; they got Gambit's eyes right a few times. They showed that he is still a creative thinker when he charged the clips for Fant's guns. A lot of damage from just a die, even if I dislike his casual destruction of property.

It wasn't a great showing for Gambit but the odd pacing of the issue made sure that no body really got a good showing.

Things I am ready to be disappointed by;
Gambit and Beast have already done this song and dance on the astral plane. When Gambit lead the team in Moscow, they fought some creatures of Apocalypse. After getting his self-loathing and memory of the massacre shoved down his throat, Gambit won with this mentality 'I choose to laugh, Dirge'. I am ready for that to not be remembered.

Same set of issues, Gambit was sneaky enough to get past Jean Grey's psychic shields and leave her hits, emphasis on her not catching him at it. I am ready for his finesse on the astral plane to be ignored as well.

His psychic resistance is always hit or miss.

He has already met the Shadow King and stole Storm away from him. His charming patter even noted by the Shadow King.

A response to the common/uncommon thief crack, with Gambit stealing away the Shadow Kings secrets because doesn't the container look an awful lot like a vault?

...Was that too much venting? Feels like a bit much >.>

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »
Nah, you are fine Meliorist .... there is much wrong with the issue but as an Xmen story goes, stronger than the other books. It's hard to grade this thing.

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2017, 08:30:34 PM »
Yeah, it is a bit weird. I liked it but it feels a bit more like making a deliberate choice and not that it won me over on its own merit.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2017, 01:57:59 AM »

I really wanted to like this issue because for the most part it is a really good issue. I started reading and heading over to the counter to pay for this and then the more I read the slower my walk until finally by the end I had reversed course and put this s*** back on the shelf.

Gambit as a f*** up thief, pining for Rogue while being Fanto's b***h really ruined this for me.  I have no desire to read that s*** no matter how good the overall story is.  So this will be a pass for me.  I guess I will wait for the trade and see if the Gambit oscillating between being Rogue and Fanto's b***h doesn't come to fruition.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 02:34:03 AM »
I am with Remydat on this.
It is not Gambit that I know and love.
Noone new who would read this book will think that Gambit is cool.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 06:47:46 AM »
We have not seen the Gambit we know and love in a very long time. The last time we got close was the Asmus solo, the first few issues of ANXF before that book tanked itself.

All of his appearances have been horrendous.

I'm finding my passion for comic books is waning. This is not the Gambit I want to read about, and he's not even the Gambit I remember fondly.

He hasn't moved on character-wise in almost 20 years and when he does, its forgotten. It's sad. 

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »
So, it might not be a bad appearance for Gambit as a thief, though my take on it is a stretch. Wishful thinking, more or less. It looks like there is more to what is going on between Gambit and Fantomex than readily observable. In much the same way that certain words- feeble, meat, subject- go a long way to confirming who the narrator is, the first line Remy says doesn't make sense in context. 'One good roll' sure he could be trying to be funny but Gambit doesn't need luck to get away from security. He has tangled with the best of them and Louvre security, probably, doesn't qualify for the big leagues.

Next bit is his emphasis on complications but offers no details. The three repetitions has been used by advertisers  for years because it is so effective in getting people to remember a commercial and keep the product in the back of a persons mind.

My two hopes;
1) That Gambit contracted Fantomex, a person he seems to hold in disdain, for this particular job because he is also running a job on Fantomex.
2) That the writer that chose the narrative wording so well, put the same thought into the rest of the issue.

The thing that makes me believe that I am stretching is the narrative introduction of Logan. It was a let down and came off more as author favoritism than the Shadow Kings assessment.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:18:05 PM by Meliorist »

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2017, 12:03:30 PM »
We have not seen the Gambit we know and love in a very long time. The last time we got close was the Asmus solo, the first few issues of ANXF before that book tanked itself.

All of his appearances have been horrendous.

I'm finding my passion for comic books is waning. This is not the Gambit I want to read about, and he's not even the Gambit I remember fondly.

He hasn't moved on character-wise in almost 20 years and when he does, its forgotten. It's sad.

I'm with you in that Neko and it's very, very sad. My love of comics is rapidly declining and it's hard because it's been a hobby since I was 9 years old. I do think the industry has changed big time and telling good, continuity driven stories is out the window.

So anyway, this issue. Probably not worth a buy? Wait for scans and some kind soul to post a summary? Shame, I was looking forward to it.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2017, 01:28:46 PM »
Here Spoonz, I stole summary from CBR.

-Around the world, psychics are being attacked mentally. The weaker ones fall first.But when Psylocke is attacked, she sends out a distress signal asking for help. Her powers force her to create a giant butterfly then moth, that attacks London. Bishop, Archangel, Gambit and Rogue get hit up first. -Rogue flies in first (as Logan operates the blackbird) but Psylocke’s psychic shards pierce her tough skin. Archangel flies in to save her. Gambit, Fantomex and OML join the attack to stop Psylocke. Bishop arrives and Archangel flies him to Rogue and Psylocke.-Rogue will absorb Psylocke and needs Bishop to help her safely release all that energy. Rogue touches Psylocke, then kisses Bishop, who releases the energy into space. Psylocke is saved. -Just then, Beast also arrives and surprises Rogue who thought he wouldn’t help the XMEN after IVX. Beast assures her he’s not that much of a beast. -Psylocke knows it’s the Shadow King who attacked her, and tells the team they must go into the astral plane to stop Farouk before he goes after other powerful psychics like Jean, Quentin, Emma and the Cuckoos. Arcgangel volunteers to watch over their bodies as he fears going to the astral plan will unleash his dark side. Bishop stays behind as well for backup.-Fantomex volunteers to join and Psylocke wonders who even invited him. He reveals Gambit owes him money so he refuses to leave his side until Gambit pays up. Psylocke then sends OML, Rogue, Gambit, Fantomex, and Beast, and warns them to act quick before being detected.-Meanwhile, in the astral plane, Farouk knows the XMEN are coming and predicts they have no idea what he has planned and what secrets he has waiting for them.-Just then, a chained up Xavier is revealed to be under his control. They are working together it seems.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:11:34 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2017, 02:10:56 PM »
I promise to do scans but want to get past the weekend .... even if I'm not happy, I don't want to hurt sales. :)

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »
That's cool Neko I'm still not home and the WiFi here is from the dark age so no rush!

Thanks for the run down Purp.

Edit: you know, that looks like a standard team story to me, not sure what they were carrying on about it being not a team book.

Also, ugh, Gambit's the reason Fanto is in this?! That's upsetting.

And why does Rogue ALWAYS have to kiss dudes to use her powers! Can't she just touch their arms with her hand or something normal like that, jeez.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:00:34 PM by Spoonz »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2017, 12:36:35 AM »
Fanto and Mystique is speculated to be villains for team and they are on the cover for #1. Maybe because they won't be with team then it is cast