Author Topic: Astonishing X-Men  (Read 5101 times)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
Re: Astonishing X-Men
« Reply #180 on: October 04, 2017, 08:21:28 PM »
My non-Gambit-biased opinion about the issue and book as a whole is that it's great and Soule is doing awesome.

My Gambit-biased opinion about the book is that it's pretty good but I'm disappointed in some of the ways Gambit is acting, but he's had a few bright spots.
Who Dat

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #181 on: October 04, 2017, 09:02:25 PM »
Thanks cc008 - I've liked the issues I've bought but ... Gambit has been okay, not horrible-just okay - not amazing either. Not sure I can do "okay" despite the writing. It is only 12 issues though, so I guess if we look at it as its intended a long mini ... maybe I've expecting too much.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 09:06:50 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #182 on: October 04, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
Knowing it's a 12 issue series does make it easier to commit to. Even if your favorite character has been just "okay." If it was an ongoing and the only reason I were buying this was for Gambit, I probably wouldn't continue.
Who Dat

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2017, 09:21:54 PM »
Knowing it's a 12 issue series does make it easier to commit to. Even if your favorite character has been just "okay." If it was an ongoing and the only reason I were buying this was for Gambit, I probably wouldn't continue.

Agreed - knowing its a contained story and not a serial does make it easier in terms of content and handling. :) As odd as it sounds, you can write it off more easily as it were.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Thief
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2017, 02:57:40 PM »
To build off of others' posts about the recent issue: Anybody else find it weird that Fantomex and Mystique can play along in the SK's world for the entire issue and not be corrupted, but the moment that Gambit decides to, he's screwed? That annoyed me quite a bit.  Otherwise I've been enjoying this book quite a bit, which has surprised me b/c Soule can be really hit or miss with me.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2017, 03:34:15 PM »
Didn't look at it that way. Guess Soule is saying Gambits mind isn't as disciplined as the other two? Funny, due Gambit's powers he shouldn't be able to even fully participate in this, much less have his mind taken over. Even if he was forced into it the scenario he should be no more than static to SK. Xavier himself typically found it difficult to read Gambit without his permission and help. But I could say the same about him being influenced during Axis, as fun as that was to see him wig out about "Magneto and his kids".
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2017, 06:27:48 PM »
I still hope that when he smirked about trap means that he had some plan and he is tricking SK. It will be classic Gambit.
Hope some twist will happen with possessed characters.

But I doubt, really.

Mayve Xavier just left Gambit for SK?

Offline deathsun

• Thief
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2017, 06:42:12 PM »
I don't think that his mind is taken over. Psylocke get disturbed and link between their mind and body disconnected. Shadow King take control of Gambit's body but Xavier leave Gambit's psyke on purpose but I don't knoe why. Charles is a bit weird in this book.

Online Meliorist

• Thief
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2017, 08:13:04 PM »
I don't think it is that Gambit has a less disciplined mind but more the intent behind it. Fant and Raven just played around, probably without meaning. For Remy, the interaction was about hope and you have to be willing to get hurt if you want to hope. Regardless, I do hope that it is as much a trap for the Shadow King as it was for Remy.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2017, 08:58:59 PM »
I don't think it is that Gambit has a less disciplined mind but more the intent behind it. Fant and Raven just played around, probably without meaning. For Remy, the interaction was about hope and you have to be willing to get hurt if you want to hope. Regardless, I do hope that it is as much a trap for the Shadow King as it was for Remy.

Good point. Fantomex and Mystique knew and didn't have a single care in the world. Gambit knew and gave in to something he was very serious about.
Who Dat

Offline anya

• Horseman
« Reply #190 on: October 09, 2017, 09:26:05 PM »
I don't think that his mind is taken over. Psylocke get disturbed and link between their mind and body disconnected. Shadow King take control of Gambit's body but Xavier leave Gambit's psyke on purpose but I don't knoe why. Charles is a bit weird in this book.
He's also talking in black speech bubbles, never a sign of trustworthiness...I think he might still be possessed by the shadow king.  ???

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2017, 02:45:43 AM »

Yeah. I hope Gambit and Logan will play a big part at the end to defeat SK. When Xavier was fighting Logan he told that he has plan to use him or smth like this. And then Logan body was possessed.

I hope the same situation is with Gambit.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Thief
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2017, 09:45:22 AM »
Quote from: Meliorist link=topic=5081. msg70831#msg70831 date=1507594384
I don't think it is that Gambit has a less disciplined mind but more the intent behind it.  Fant and Raven just played around, probably without meaning.  For Remy, the interaction was about hope and you have to be willing to get hurt if you want to hope.  Regardless, I do hope that it is as much a trap for the Shadow King as it was for Remy.

That's a good point.  And yeah, it would be nice to see Gambit pull one on SK.  Getting sick of seeing of my favorite heroes being turned into a joke character.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #193 on: October 26, 2017, 09:08:32 AM »

http://www.cbr.com/preview-astonishing-x-men-5/

EXCL. PREVIEW: Astonishing X-Men #5 Brings Prof. X Back in the Mix

Offline bark_no_byte

• Thief
« Reply #194 on: October 26, 2017, 10:56:27 AM »
Hmm, not sure how to feel about this yet. Can't wait to read it, though, after last month's cliff-hanger.

Side note: I am absolutely loving Gambit's thieving costume, even the pouches. I'm kind of a sucker for any look that includes the bandana though haha