Author Topic: Marvel Survey from 1995- Interesting results  (Read 1725 times)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Ally
Marvel Survey from 1995- Interesting results
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:45:38 PM »
In my comic book collection I have the results of Marvel's 1995 survey it sent out to it's readers. I don't have a scan of it so you'll just have to trust that I'm giving you the right results. I posted this thread topic in here due to the heavy influence of the X-men on these results.

Below is a list of the top 10 Marvel characters as voted on by the readers. They were asked to list their top 3 favorite characters and the votes were tallied. Keep in mind that this was a survey sent to people who ordered comics directly from Marvel and/or were on Marvel's mailing list. So it wasn't participated by many casual fans who maybe only watched the cartoons. The name in parenthesis represents who held that spot the previous year and the number is obviously the amount of votes.

1. Wolverine(same)...............58,951
2. Spider-Man(same).............37,803
3. Gambit(same)..................37,210
4. Rogue(same)...................11,857
5. Hulk(Cyclops)...................9,646
6. Cable(same).....................8,412
7. Cyclops(Hulk)...................7,923
8. Venom(Cap. America).........6,566
9. Punisher(Venom)...............5,992
10. Beast(Nightcrawler)...........5,413

The first observation is clearly how Gambit is well in third place and hanging right behind Spider-Man himself.

Second is Rogue being in fourth place. She is the only female in the top 10 and she is all the way up in fourth place. And this is all of Marvel. Impressive.

Third is, Man I miss when the X-Men ruled the world.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Marvel Survey from 1995- Interesting results
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 04:16:05 PM »
Damn, he was huge.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
I've always said that for a certain period of time, Gambit and Rogue were one of the hottest comic book couples of all time. Superman and Lois Lane are the most iconic and long standing, Spiderman and Mary Jane are Marvel staples, and Jean Grey and Cyclops are the most recognized X-Men pair... but you'd have a hard time convincing me any other famous comic book couple were ever on fire more than Gambit and Rogue were for quite some years there in the 90's. This survey just backs up my point. Gambit and Rogue's relationship for a while  in the 90's did a great job of really grabbing the attention of male and female readers and even cartoon watchers. So much so that both Gambit and Rogue reached the heights of their popularity at the same time. And they shot right to the top of the pack. First tier level. And neither one of them were known as classic standalone characters or icons of Marvel. They were really just two team members of the X-men who burst to the forefront together. I just find it all very interesting. It really speaks to how into Romy, comic book readers were at that stage. It's a shame how we're at a point now where it's probably best if they didn't bother with their "relationship" anymore. They just don't seem like they know what to do with them now.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 06:20:46 PM »
I also think XTAS fueled romy more than the comic books ever did. If not for that show, imo - I don't think the coupling would be as loved. It seriously had far too much angst and very little "romance" as it were in the comic books.

When you have writers wanting to insert themselves into their male character to hook up with Rogue ... what do you do with that.

Gambit is not embraced.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 09:53:47 PM »
I also think XTAS fueled romy more than the comic books ever did. If not for that show, imo - I don't think the coupling would be as loved. It seriously had far too much angst and very little "romance" as it were in the comic books.

When you have writers wanting to insert themselves into their male character to hook up with Rogue ... what do you do with that.

Gambit is not embraced.

What XTAS did well with them was they kept Gambit and Rogue in the early stages of their relationship. Where they flirt, tease, and play with eachother with brief moments of something much deeper between the two. That's pretty much the funnest part of their relationship. they just work well together at that stage.

But Gambit and Rogue definitely had a ton of heat in the comics. It probably started to go a bit downhill after 95 but people were already drawn in and wanted to see it play out. Gambit and Rogue sold a lot of comic books in 90's. There is an insane amount of Gambit and Rogue covers over the years. There was even one very recently(although it was BS). I'm sure I'm not saying anything new here but apparently they just wrote a part where Gambit flirts with Rogue for it to just be another woman Gambit flirts with and the initial response was so positive with them getting letters loving the pairing so they just kept writing it and it got bigger and bigger. It was still a popular pairing even after the writing started to screw it up.

Like I said above, that survey mostly represents  regular comic readers and not casuals fans of the show. According to the 8th question and answer, the majority of participants in this survey buy an average of 6-10 titles a month with high percentages in the 3-5 and 11-20 categories for titles per month. So these are votes of comic readers. I really can't minimize their popularity in the comics. They were super popular. I believe they helped eachother but Gambit was the hot newer character on the block and Rogue was coming into her own as one of the sexier characters who was also like the forbidden fruit. The XTAS helped for sure but it helped everyones popularity.

Second part: Yeah it's a shame what they've done to Rogue over the years. The way they've dragged the Romy thing out for so long has not been the most beneficial thing to their characters.

Third part: I don't fully understand. Who doesn't embrace Gambit?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
What I meant by Gambit isn't embraced ...  he is not well liked currently by the writers. He had one or two who like him but when they've written him, he was shown as incredibly incompetent - if that is like, I certainly don't want love from these writers.

I don't think there as many "good time" romy stuff as people remember. I remember angstville. I remember "whoa is me, I can't touch you" and "I don't trust you" crap from Rogue. There is a handful of issues where they were good to each other but the rest of the time, imo - it was for the sake of irony. I don't like Rogue, and I don't romy. Understand its from that perspective. Others that like her and romy may see it quite differently.

For example - romys love XXM under Claremont ... like it was some great thing. All that was there was them as a couple who were removed from the book for two arcs after saying they'd try to be more in their relationship. And then once they returned. You've got a cover where Gambit is flirting with Sage or could be seen that way. Gambit kisses a naked Storm and Rogue wraps her legs around Bishop's private area and kisses him. Gonna have to really come up with justifications as to why that is such great romy. And the "they're just flirting" thing isn't a good excuse.

Was there lots of stuff where they were doing things with the Xmen. Yup. With you on that. :)

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 07:58:19 PM »
Oh yeah. You're totally right about the writers hating on him. I'm hoping we see a changeover of writers or generations where some writers come in who like him or don't even care who their favorite is, they just want to write everyone as best they can. It seems like their has been a ton of writers for a while now who want to make their mark and have characters they want to pump up as much as they can and other characters they want to make a joke out of or rib. I just hope they get past this stuff. Can this go on for ever? I mean, I know I'm biased but Gambit seems like a really fun character to write. 

I had started to suspect you were not a fan of Rogue. That's cool. You might be right about maybe there weren't as many "good times" as people remember. But there were good times. Honestly to me they are two characters that had natural chemistry and great timing from the moment they started to banter with eachother. People picked up on it right away. And as their relationship slowly grew for the next couple of years they just got more and more popular as a couple. You're kind of looking at it in hindsight from the perspective of how bad it got. My initial point was how hot they became as a couple. It definitely got to a point when it was all angst and no fun. But they still continued to go back to the well for years beating a dead horse. But they did that because the couple still had popularity and people were still interested because of how much they loved them together and it helped sell.  The problem was how convoluted it all started getting and writers being careless with the storylines and wound up doing damage to the characters.

For the first couple of years Gambit and Rogue were a slow burn and was by far the funnest part. And that's where the love for them grew with everyone. What was going to happen with Gambit and Rogue was a huge reason for many readers to buy X-Men comics for a while there. The banter between was just right and they seemed like a perfect match for a romantic and troubled couple in the X-Men. Once they eventually started to acknowledge feelings for eachother you started to get this sense of yearning and longing from them for each other. Not only did you feel bad for them but all this was dripping with sexuality. Even if you were a kid you picked up on this. Not to mention some of the artwork from this time was beautiful. Again, I'm just giving possible reasons on why Gambit and Rogue were such a loved couple in their time. And even today if only in remembrance or fanfic. Even when the angsty depressing stuff started you still hung in there for a while because you knew this relationship had to have some tragedy with it. It was fine for a while and kept you interested to see how it would play out. But then that's all it was and no more fun.

In my opinion, once Gambit came back from Antarctica it should have been over. Just end it there and have them move on. Maybe years later they could see if it could work again but that whole experience should have put a nail in their coffin of romance. But it was still a pretty hot story line so they kept going with it and new writers coming along adding different stuff and turning it into a convoluted mess.

Your third paragraph is stuff I agree with. That's just more of the killing of their relationship. I'm more talking about the long lasting affects of when so many  fans of the couple were captivated by their early chemistry to getting to that point when Marvel is still trying to come up with stuff because they know there is an interested audience. They've been doing it for years and who knows maybe there's even more to come in the upcoming Astonishing series. So, I do agree there's been more years of them tied up in melodrama and angst rather then just fun chemistry like in the first 4 or 5 years. But the fandom for them in those beginning years was so impassioned that it's still there 26 years later after many many missteps. So that just speaks to my feeling of how on fire the couple was at the time of these survey results I posted.

Man, I really started rambling on. Hope you could follow my train of thought. Sorry I wrote such an essay. :idiot2:

Question for you Neko, Say we get much closer to the Gambit movie coming out and they announce that Rogue will have a role in the film. And she was going to be rebooted and played by a new actress. What would your reaction be?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 08:02:04 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »
I would say you were quite good in your position for Rogue/romy. You didn't sway me but I understand where you are coming from with the appeal of Gambit and Rogue as a couple.

I am going to say chemistry is in the eye of the beholder ... you have to want to see it for it to be there ... but I'll admit maybe I'm just too salty on the romy thing to even look.

I also agree that the relationship should have ended at UXM 350. None of the rekindling after that issue worked, and was incredibly painful to read. That said - comics are serial in base form story wise. I think the problem is there is no "ending" ... like a soap. The consumer is left unsatisfied, and there is fatigue when left hanging so long. Like Mulder and Scully in X-Files - they milked that sexual tension til it was no longer cared about. I'm certain there was some still out there, but I can tell you either do or don't ... none of this maybe for years. I seriously tell people to read romance novels if they want a HEA (happily ever after). I get the same response which is "I don't like that genre" ... it does have some stigma ... but .. it does do the one thing comics and some TV shows don't. It puts a couple together, they can have turmoil and yet survive it and end up together in the end. And isn't that what romys want?

They put Rogue in Gambit's film and it will be a major turn off for me. I want Gambit to shine on his own. He is his own character and his first film should be about him. Gambit's backstory is huge, there is plenty that can be worked with, without having to deal with Rogue. There is more to Gambit than his relationship to Rogue.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 07:49:19 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 06:05:20 PM »
For sure. If it were up to me, Gambit would have his solo film and Rogue would be established in another movie somewhere. Though I would eventually have them meet up and their relationship would be a slow burn highlighting the best part of it. Dragging it out slowly over multiple movies.

But honestly, I could see FOX thinking of wanting to put an underutilized X-Men character in the Gambit movie, kind of like what they did in Deadpool with Colossus. Rogue really fits the bill and is almost too good to pass up. It's a shame that just her mere presence would turn you off. I'd be a little worried but still excited as hell. I would just hope they'd start small with them and maybe just slightly hint at something between them while focusing more on making Rogue a like able character in whatever role she has. The idea of starting them fresh again in movie form really interests me. If they wind up in the same movie together at some point there is no way they won't do something with it. So I would embrace it but I just hope they would establish both characters on their own as well and not make them dependent on one another the way Xavier is with Magneto or the way Cyclops is with Jean.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
I'm bumping this thread because the point I was making here is even more relevant now.

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2018, 08:50:12 PM »
We're entering the era where the kids who grew up watching XTAS and reading their first comics in the 90's... are now the ones pitching and writing the stories. I'd imagine a lot of them... like KT, remember all the crap they've had to deal with over the last 15-20 years, and are chomping at the bit to 'fix' things.