Author Topic: How has Gambit affected your life?  (Read 179 times)

Offline Rakkner

• Gambler
How has Gambit affected your life?
« on: August 08, 2017, 02:10:27 AM »

As Gambit is our favorite mutant in the Marvel world, I'm curious if the character has had an impact on anyone's day-to-day life.

For myself:
-Finally convinced the fiancé to like the name Remy for our first son.
-Actually choose my wedding band with Gambit in mind.  It's all black but has purple on the inside.
-Grew my hair out with Gambit as the sole inspiration.
-Purple being my favorite color (I know he started off in pink, but purple works so much better).
-May have had some stealing tendencies back in the day.

:gambit:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:38:18 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: How as Gambit affected your life?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 09:11:39 AM »
Interesting topic.

Gambit's survivor attitude has always inspired me. The way he rolls with things, something bad happens, he makes an adjustment. I also do that.

I named my cat Gambit. LOL

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
Re: How as Gambit affected your life?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 12:19:25 PM »
Hm, I don't think Gambit has necessarily affected my life so much, I mean my long hair and stubble thing probably comes from being obsessed with Kurt Cobain when I was a teenager.  But you know what, now that I think about it I've been a Gambit fan from the moment I first saw TAS as an 8 year old boy and, well, you can figure that I'm a fair bit older now and I'm still a Gambit fan.  So in that way it's something that's followed me my whole life, through constantly moving to many other countries from a young age, having to learn new languages to be able to get by in said countries, adapting to a bunch of new cultures, all the while still keeping up to date on what's happening with Gambit and absolutely loving the character. 

So now that I talk about it, I guess the character HAS had an affect on my life.  Go figure.  What a nice topic!  :)

Offline DonPriceTag

• The Mega
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: How has Gambit affected your life?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 12:44:23 PM »
Nothing material wise like my hair (being black with zero Coolie in my immediate family) but he did help spark an interest in reading. I loved the XTAS but I dont think I would have bothered reading any of the books if I didnt want to know more about Gambit. I also stumbled upon Lori's fanfic some time later. Before that I'd never read anything longer than what I was forced to in school. Because of that long-form fanfic, I began reading novels and other books with hundreds of pages. I guess he helped spark ravenous intake of information and stories... which in turn put me in position to be the EIC of the magazine I run.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline RomeoSvengali

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Well not me, not really, but I have two older sisters, in the mid or late 90s when my oldest sister got her own place she got a black cat, I think she named him Remy or Gambit, I can't remember which name. She had to get rid of him when she moved to a different apartment.
https://vimeo.com/49613968
-Romeo Svengali (Monican swordsman)

Offline Sheba

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 08:25:48 PM »
Thanks to him I got interested in the city of New Orleans, and thus volunteered to go along on a service trip there. In the process I discovered that I love to travel, and love the city, and I can't wait to go back.

Offline cajunpirate

• Thief's Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 08:16:17 AM »
The Saints became my favorite football team.

Been to New Orleans a number of times now. Love it down there.

A Gambit tattoo on my right shoulder.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:13:09 AM »
I've been to New Orleans too! And I purposely went because of Gambit. :) Stayed on Bourbon Street and checked out the French Quarter. It was a great time!

Offline Nevaratoiel

• Artisian
  • X-Man Legend
  • I don't bite... hard...
    • Gambit's Royal Flush Fanlisting
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
Funnily enough, I really can't name anything in my life that's Gambit inspired or something that effected my life. I just like his character, all of it... :)

I'd like to go to New Orleans though... Does that count?
Nicole a.k.a. Nev a.k.a. Neva

I come and go, and come and go, but you're not rid of me that soon... ;D
ELFAE | Gambit's Royal Flush Fanlisting

Offline Meliorist

• Journeyman
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 06:22:37 PM »
Gambit has, in a way, helped me appreciate stories more. I have a really hard time enjoying the 'obvious' choice when it comes to favorite characters. Wolverine, Batman, Thor, and whomever else you feel to add, always seemed like the easy choice. Like I was being led by the nose to find them appealing. With Gambit, it was my choice and then I had to look at the character and really try to understand him.

Now, while reading other stories, I'll sometimes find myself considering the backgrounds characters and what choices they would have had to make to be where they are. That carried over into real life and if something annoying happens, like getting cut off on the road, I can take a deep breath and realize the person is leading their own life; they could be late to an interview, family emergency, or just a dick. Regardless, I don't know without them telling me, so no point in worrying about it.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 09:09:59 PM »
The Saints became my favorite football team.

Been to New Orleans a number of times now. Love it down there.

A Gambit tattoo on my right shoulder.

YES!!! Who Dat?!
Laissez le bon temps rouler

Offline M

• X-Man
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 02:05:27 AM »
I've been to New Orleans too! And I purposely went because of Gambit. :) Stayed on Bourbon Street and checked out the French Quarter. It was a great time!

YUP! :o
also

gumbo nuff said