Author Topic: Marvel's Declining Sales  (Read 417 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Marvel's Declining Sales
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 11:10:29 AM »
There is quite a bit of blaming the fan. I agree Don. I recall an interview from one of the female editors who had stated that if fans didn't support female lead books, the company would not publish them. Mind you, this was in regards to the CrossGen property Marvel bought and totally messed up - Mystic. So, it was the fans fault for not supporting a book about two sisters who were nothing like the original concept.

cc008: Agreed, character driven stories is important. Thats the investment by the long term fans who are no longer important. IMO.

I also agree that the vocal minority who push for whatever agenda does not support the mediums that they are spending their time trying "make change" for - it also makes it harder to take them more seriously. IMO

I had no idea CrossGen was Marvel owned. I had interest in that for a while but it stale fast. They should have just folded the universe into the MU and called it a day. But instead we just identity swapped character solos.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »

I had no idea CrossGen was Marvel owned. I had interest in that for a while but it stale fast. They should have just folded the universe into the MU and called it a day. But instead we just identity swapped character solos.

Yeah, I can't remember when the rights were sold to Marvel, not that it matters much. They've done nothing with the properties. The only one they tried to launch was Mystic (as far as I know). While they kept the sister ideology and the "magical" powers thing, they changed the two main characters so drastically, that I couldn't justify buying it. It certainly wasn't what I wanted for a female lead book. As a female, I know what I would want in a female lead book.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 07:32:54 PM »
Marvel owns Malibu too. They might as well blow the dust off them and combine those two universes or fold them both, or at least aspects of them, into the MU. Perhaps even as alternate Earth's.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline dieCG

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 10:18:32 PM »
Firstly, it's not 'pandering' to the SJWs that is messing this up. It's the writers and artists that were sub-par to begin with- being Quesada's wee pets that suck on his toes that started the downward spiral. Writers and artists of integrity have already said that he was a s***can editor in chief. He had his own ideas of what he wanted everything to be, instead of listening to the writers and artists that were avid fans of character and team franchises. Some left and some were let go of. Before Disney even bought the company, it was in trouble. He alienated and ostracized most of the best Marvel had. It also didn't help when Marvel, under his 'leadership', tried to have their own distribution company that bankrupted Marvel.

Then Disney came in. Instead of instructing Marvel to make diverse stand alone, new characters, just gut existing characters and throw out stories for their ideas.

To be fair, Marvel isn't the only comic company having this issue. Marvel is just handling it like super s*** because well... Quesada. The man that started the derailment in the first place.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:29:53 PM by dieCG »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
I agree with some of that too dieCG. When Quesada's cut the line of books he didn't deem necessary because he wanted less books, really was the starting point for the decline. IMO.

Pet projects and favoritism for some. It's like Alonzo's love Cyke and we have him in everything. And he still is to some degree.

They want to broaden their audience, they need some variety and better story telling.