Author Topic: Why Gambit would make a great movie.  (Read 1718 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Why Gambit would make a great movie.
« on: September 19, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »
For whatever reason or reasons, there are an awful lot of people out there that don’t want to see a Gambit movie made. Most are from a small fraction of a minority of the movie going audience. Probably the same ones that had an issue with him being part of the 90s animated series that helped launch the X-Men into pop culture and into the minds of millions of people between the ages of 8 and 30-something. People that would eventually become fans of the X-Men movie franchise that is arguably the fuel behind what we know as the modern comic book movie era. Because of the success behind following Logan and Deadpool, comic book movies don’t have to choose to be blockbuster cookie cutters like Avengers or artistry pieces such as The Watchers or Sin City. The protagonist doesn’t have to be a boy-scout. That’s great, because Gambit is certainly not that.

Robert Mckee wrote in his screen writing manual (“Story”); “True character is revealed in the choices a human being makes under pressure – the greater the pressure, the deeper the revelation, the truer the choice to the character’s essential nature”. Most great characters have this moment, most happen within the books than rather the movies. Deadpool, no matter how great of a character and movie it was, he never really got that moment. Wade was the same person he was in the beginning of the movie as he was at the end, plus or minus a couple motivations, yet still an awesome popcorn popper. Gambit, on the other hand has the perfect moment of truth to prove his metal; The Mutant Massacre.

Ignoring that this took place far into his youth and Channing Tatum can probably only pull off a mid to late-twenty-something man, I believe using that story as the climax of the movie would show Gambit coming into his own. This would be further expressed by not having him act like a “hero” throughout the film, but something more cocky, self-serving, indulgent, and ultimately desperate. Allow him to make bad decision after, bad decision that ultimately has him leading a group of depraved people into a subterranean community only to see it begin to be destroyed by those very people. The images should be graphic enough to shake Gambit, disturb him even. Pull something out of him we’ve only glimpsed once or twice throughout the movie. Force him to act in such a way that it changes him forever. Gambit was originally an anti-hero but his popularity pushed him more into the light than he was ever intended to be. He doesn’t have to be irredeemable but I also don’t think he has to be a hero. He could just be a guy that’s unsure of his role in the world around him beyond his own interests, until his interests and the greater good become synonymous. To make it less technical, he can be in debt to Sinister for another reason. Instead of helping him with his powers, perhaps it’s to help his father or Bella? An antidote whatever that would work to have him seek out an underworld geneticist.

Just my incites to what could be the meat and bones of a Gambit story. Where would you like to see them take the story? How would you like Gambit portrayed?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
Re: Why Gambit would make a great movie.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 04:37:17 PM »
First things first! Glad you're back and safe Don! Hope you didn't suffer any losses in the storm.

To your point, and I've said this a few times, Gambit has an opportunity to be the same as (but at the same time, completely different) Deadpool and Logan. Deadpool was a raunchy action-comedy and Logan was a western drama. Both had super-hero/comic book influences. Instead of the other way around.. being a comic book movie with another genre's influence. Gambit can be the same. Gambit can be a sexy, suave, crime/heist film with super hero influences. It's then, where I think these movies become successful.

And like Wolverine and Deadpool, Gambit exploded (no pun intended) in the 90's when the X-Men were the end-all, be-all of the comic book industry. While Marvel Comics may not be pushing him now, his name holds weight among a lot of people in their 20's, 30's and 40's who grew up during that time.

The Mutant Massacre is a really haunting story and one that I would definitely enjoy seeing brought to the big screen. It could be a great way to link Gambit with the X-Men.  However, I think the storyboard is already laid out in front us. We all know it. Dig into your long box and pull out X-Men #33. We've all brought it up at some point, because it's the perfect one-and-done story, complete with action, romance, a villain, and some origins sprinkled in. I would really like to see the Gambit movie heavily influenced by that issue.
Who Dat

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »
Like cc008 - glad you are alright Don. I also hope you didn't suffer any losses in the storm.

I think Howard Mackie's story would work well on the big screen. Its a great way to introduce the character and its not too heavy in special effects with the exception of Gambit himself.

(I think you meant Howard and not Robert). LOL  ;)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »
First things first! Glad you're back and safe Don! Hope you didn't suffer any losses in the storm.

To your point, and I've said this a few times, Gambit has an opportunity to be the same as (but at the same time, completely different) Deadpool and Logan. Deadpool was a raunchy action-comedy and Logan was a western drama. Both had super-hero/comic book influences. Instead of the other way around.. being a comic book movie with another genre's influence. Gambit can be the same. Gambit can be a sexy, suave, crime/heist film with super hero influences. It's then, where I think these movies become successful.

And like Wolverine and Deadpool, Gambit exploded (no pun intended) in the 90's when the X-Men were the end-all, be-all of the comic book industry. While Marvel Comics may not be pushing him now, his name holds weight among a lot of people in their 20's, 30's and 40's who grew up during that time.

The Mutant Massacre is a really haunting story and one that I would definitely enjoy seeing brought to the big screen. It could be a great way to link Gambit with the X-Men.  However, I think the storyboard is already laid out in front us. We all know it. Dig into your long box and pull out X-Men #33. We've all brought it up at some point, because it's the perfect one-and-done story, complete with action, romance, a villain, and some origins sprinkled in. I would really like to see the Gambit movie heavily influenced by that issue.

#33? Your talking about Paris, Sabretooth and Genevieve, right?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 07:51:43 PM »
Like cc008 - glad you are alright Don. I also hope you didn't suffer any losses in the storm.

I think Howard Mackie's story would work well on the big screen. Its a great way to introduce the character and its not too heavy in special effects with the exception of Gambit himself.

(I think you meant Howard and not Robert). LOL  ;)

Thanks guys! We're fine. Lost water and power for a couple days, buts its all good now. Still cant find purified water in the stores and ice is hard to come by.

nah, Robert Mackie, he wrote a book about screenplays. Howard was the comic book writer we all know.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:32:30 PM »

#33? Your talking about Paris, Sabretooth and Genevieve, right?

That's the one!
Who Dat

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:44:57 PM »
Hey Don, I completely 100% agree with your take on this. I have been of the opinion for a while now that the Gambit film should end with the Mutant Massacre. You want to make a different type of movie with a different and compelling lead, that's a way to do it. Most people who are at all familiar with the character know he is a tortured soul with a dark past. This story would be a hell of a kickstart to his story and set him up so interestingly for future movies and other known characters he meets. Honestly, if done well he would probably have one of if not the most interesting and different starts of any of these superheroes and could be a total breath of fresh air.

Ignoring that this took place far into his youth and Channing Tatum can probably only pull off a mid to late-twenty-something man, I believe using that story as the climax of the movie would show Gambit coming into his own. This would be further expressed by not having him act like a “hero” throughout the film, but something more cocky, self-serving, indulgent, and ultimately desperate. Allow him to make bad decision after, bad decision that ultimately has him leading a group of depraved people into a subterranean community only to see it begin to be destroyed by those very people. The images should be graphic enough to shake Gambit, disturb him even. Pull something out of him we’ve only glimpsed once or twice throughout the movie. Force him to act in such a way that it changes him forever.

This stuff is so spot on imo. This is exactly my feeling on what I would love to see in this movie. This movie should in part be about his journey to discovering what kind of man he wants to wind up becoming. Your comparison with Deadpool is spot on as well. This is the type of story Gambit can give you. Deadpool is basically just a comedic character who is also very cool and hip. Gambit is a cool character with a lot of emotional depth that you can actually get wrapped up in. You know, you can actually take him seriously. That's a big thing missing from Deadpool that Gambit brings to the table.

All the people saying they don't want a Gambit movie or Gambit can't hold his own movie are just people who don't really know anything about the character and/or are jealous they're favorite X-Men character who dates further back doesn't get his or her own movie. I'll easily debate anyone that, outside of Wolverine, Gambit is easily one of if not the best choice of an X-Men character for a solo film.

I honestly don't love the idea of the Paris/Genevieve/Sabretooth story for our introduction to Gambit in a motion picture. It feels like too small of a story. More of a tv series episode. Or perhaps you can tell that story mixed with something else. The Mutant Massacre idea is crazy intense and super high stakes right off the bat for the character. Which is agreat way to go imo.

Hey Don, if they went with this idea what would you like to see be the title for the movie? Just "Gambit" or something more like "Gambit: Mutant Masscre" or whatever. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 10:52:27 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 03:20:49 AM »
Glad to see you back, Don ;)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 08:58:46 AM »
Hey Don, I completely 100% agree with your take on this. I have been of the opinion for a while now that the Gambit film should end with the Mutant Massacre. You want to make a different type of movie with a different and compelling lead, that's a way to do it. Most people who are at all familiar with the character know he is a tortured soul with a dark past. This story would be a hell of a kickstart to his story and set him up so interestingly for future movies and other known characters he meets. Honestly, if done well he would probably have one of if not the most interesting and different starts of any of these superheroes and could be a total breath of fresh air.

This stuff is so spot on imo. This is exactly my feeling on what I would love to see in this movie. This movie should in part be about his journey to discovering what kind of man he wants to wind up becoming. Your comparison with Deadpool is spot on as well. This is the type of story Gambit can give you. Deadpool is basically just a comedic character who is also very cool and hip. Gambit is a cool character with a lot of emotional depth that you can actually get wrapped up in. You know, you can actually take him seriously. That's a big thing missing from Deadpool that Gambit brings to the table.

All the people saying they don't want a Gambit movie or Gambit can't hold his own movie are just people who don't really know anything about the character and/or are jealous they're favorite X-Men character who dates further back doesn't get his or her own movie. I'll easily debate anyone that, outside of Wolverine, Gambit is easily one of if not the best choice of an X-Men character for a solo film.

I honestly don't love the idea of the Paris/Genevieve/Sabretooth story for our introduction to Gambit in a motion picture. It feels like too small of a story. More of a tv series episode. Or perhaps you can tell that story mixed with something else. The Mutant Massacre idea is crazy intense and super high stakes right off the bat for the character. Which is agreat way to go imo.

Hey Don, if they went with this idea what would you like to see be the title for the movie? Just "Gambit" or something more like "Gambit: Mutant Masscre" or whatever. 

Just "Gambit". No need for a byline with the first movie and you dont want to give away the final act before the movie even starts or give the wrong impression. The audience shouldn't know whats about to happen until about halfway through the third act when you, as the viewer, are silently pleading for Gambit to "wake up, don't do this", "its not what you think, its hella worse!" or just calling him an "idiot" for letting it get this far. Unlike the books its not going to be; Gambit shows up, sees whats going down, tries to intervene, gets gutted by Creed, and slips away with a kid. It'll be more like;

As they approach the tunnels, Gambit feels the group behind him start to get restless, but not bored, excited. It doesnt start immediately. Creed walks up and asks who's in charge. The Morlock community's leader steps forward. Creed is bantering back and forth with the woman (make it more impactful and shows Sabretooth's veracity). Gambit starts to see the members in the group's poster begin to change as Creed's voice starts to rise. That's the moment he realizes whats about the happen. He tries to step inbetween Creed and the woman but is stopped by one of the Marauders and basically told not to ruin the fun. Before Gambit can wrestle free, it begins. Sabretooth slashes the woman's throat. Gambit takes a knife to his side and is left to die. As he lays there in pain the scene goes down around him. He watches the Marauders begin to slaughter the Morlocks. Some try to fight back but its ultimately in vain. Gambit turns towards the leader. She's laying next to him, still alive, bleeding out. She mouths "help us" to him before dying. This is significant, because he knows the woman, this will not be his first time in the tunnels during the movie. He'd been there earlier in the film and tricked some of them into thinking he was a friend and kindred spirit, its how he was able to gain access and why Sinister requested this as payment. All the bad mistakes he's made in movie up until now flash before him, the regret and guilt turns into rage. He's furious with himself, disgusted. He snaps. Gritting his teeth and fights his way back to his feet, extends his bo-staff and uses it as a cane. He cant do much. Scene cuts to Riptide getting ready to murder a family in a corner. In violent flash-explosion he's taken down. Gambit struck him behind with several charged cards. He crumples to his knees in front of them. They don't know what he's done. One of them tries to help him, they use their powers on him and heal him for the most part.  Not 100% but close enough. He beg for his help, they look at him like a hero. He promises them he'll do what he can and he apologizes, Marrow is one of the family members, not much more than 15. She has some idea of whats happened as she saw him approach the community with the Marauders (during his first visit she developed an admiration for him). Gambit sets off and engages the Marauders trying his best to take them on at the same time to draw them away from the massacre. He's draws their attention and is succeeding for the most part. He's out maneuvering them, using them against each other. It looks like he stands a chance, until Creed get's the drop on him. Gambit's down left to bleed out in the midst of the chaotic scene, the massacre continues, he sees the person that healed him go down among others. He sees some of the Morlocks escape, Marrow among them who looks back at him with tears in her eyes. He smiles and fades into unconsciousness. He wakes up. Pain, hes in lots of it. He grunts looks up to see he's being dragged. It's Marrow, shes injured. Full of blood, most of it probably not hers. Where ever they are, it's dark. She drops him, shuts a door and tells him to shut up as she realizes he's awake. She talks to him, mostly in shock bouncing between thanking him for what he tried to do and reasoning as to what he did to cause it. They hear ruckus and then voices, shouts. The fighting is still going on. Someone's at the door, She draws two bone daggers and stands wearily, trembling. Gambit grabs her arm trying to pull her back. The door opens, the space is filled with light, Marrow lunges forward as Gambit's blacks out from the stress.

The hook: He slowly returning to consciousness. He hears the beeping of a heart monitor. His eyes are opening (camera in first person view). He tries to sit up, someone is asking him to satay down. He cant fight back does so, think he's some sort of hospital. His vision is back yet. Everything is blurry. The person pushing him down is a woman, black, tall. All he can tell. They say "The girl calls you Remy..." camera moves from first person and pulls out revealing the whole room. Gambit is on a medical bed, bandaged up. The woman of above him is Storm (duuhhh). "So Remy,... what was a handsome young man like you doing in the Morlock tunnels surrounded by so much death and devastation?" lots of suspicion in her tone.

"No good, that's what..." another voice of screen says. It's has a sassy, southern drawl to it. He turns his head and see's Marrow lying on another table, breathing, he smirks in relief. He also glimpses a couple of others he doesn't recognize lying on beds. He turns again to find the source of the last statement another woman is there staring at him coldly (Rogue). CUT.

The crowd goes ape-#@#$.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:12:47 AM by DonPriceTag »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 09:27:46 AM »
First of all- hurray! Don is back! Second- I think that idea could work for a movie. The Paris story could work too, but I think it's hurt more by Tatum being, 'too dark old' that story 'needs' him to be a dumb teenager more than the morlocks. It would still be better than if Tatum was younger, but he did get conned by an evil super genius, who should be smart enough to pull it off,  so it can still work

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 09:33:26 AM »
Obviously, what I set would lead into a proper X-Men team film with Gambit. The sequel to Gambit which I would call "Prince of Thieves" would have Gambit's brother contact him and talk him into /guilt him into helping him on a score in Paris. That's where I'd use the X-Men #33 story. Kind of backwards as in the comics Paris happens before Massacre, but this is a adaptation or re imagining not so much a translation. The third and final Gambit film will have him returning to NOLA to "face the music" with final showdown between him, assassin's guild, Bella Donna his responsibilities that dropped going into the first movie.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »

Thanks guys! We're fine. Lost water and power for a couple days, buts its all good now. Still cant find purified water in the stores and ice is hard to come by.

nah, Robert Mackie, he wrote a book about screenplays. Howard was the comic book writer we all know.

I'm learning all sorts of stuff today. :)

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »
Interestingly, Im starting to realize the people who don't like gambit, don't think anybody else could possibly like him either.  hence the "no one asked for this"..."no one wants this", movie refrains.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2018, 12:27:40 PM »
Interestingly, Im starting to realize the people who don't like gambit, don't think anybody else could possibly like him either.  hence the "no one asked for this"..."no one wants this", movie refrains.

Right... because Ironman, Antman and Guardians of the Galaxy were fan favorites that people have been begging Hollywood for. A lot of what made MCU happen was the faith they built into the fanbase with how they put the movies together. Even their "worst" movies is arguably on par with most of what Fox and WB (DC) has put out as their "best". Gambit, unlike MOST of the MCU has a built in fan base thanks TAS. I hope Marvel doesn't think X1 just created Wolverine fans out of nowhere. Those fans were raised on TAS and number in the millions and now all have children and nieces and nephews etc to pass down their fandom too. There's a reason why after X1 people were harassing Singer at convention about using Gambit. Even though he didnt do it, just his name on a screen turned into one of the biggest easter eggs in the film. I'd bet 30% of the people that watched Wolverine Origins went because of how heavily they promoted TK as Gambit, though I think he was on screen a total of 10 minutes, tops. What we're seeing now is the same thing we've been seeing since the 00s. People who weren't fans of the TAS or the fact that their favs from the 80s weren't featured as much whining about it. What makes it an issue is, some of these folk have bigger soap boxes, thus they are heard louder. Most fans of Gambit aren't comic book fans. They are everyday people that probably don't even realize the MCU and Fox X-Men films have nothing to do with each other, much less are aware of the pending buyout. As time moves on, these people are getting less and less audible, thankfully.

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2018, 09:19:22 PM »

People are pretty egocentric. It's really sad.
Who Dat