Poll

What is your favorite version of Gambit?

616 - 90s
16 (61.5%)
616 - Modern
2 (7.7%)
Age of X
1 (3.8%)
Age of Apocalypse
6 (23.1%)
Ultimate
0 (0%)
Other
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Favorite Version of Gambit?  (Read 5246 times)

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Favorite Version of Gambit?
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:54:30 AM »
Hey, all. I've recently been diving into some alt timelines where Gambit has appeared like Age of X, Age of Apoc, and now Ultimate and was curious what everyone's favorite version of Gambit is. I just read Ultimate X-Men #13 (Ult Gambit Debut) and had lowered my expectations bc Austen was writing it, but was blown away how much I loved this take on Gambit. The way he wrote his accent was annoying, but I really loved Gambit being the lowly street thief, womanizer with a heart of gold. I feel like this is the version I would want to write if I ever had a chance to write him. I haven't read any of the other issues that follow, so it's hard for me to say it's my favorite yet, but it's definitely up there.

Anyways, what's been your favorite take on Gambit? If it's the 616 version, what's your second favorite?

Edit: I went ahead and added a poll. I did 2 votes per used bc I figure a lot of us will vote for 616 haha
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:11:44 PM by bark_no_byte »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Favorite Version of Gambit?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »
616 during the 90s pre-trial is always my favorite. The AoX Gambit was interesting for me. The Rifle was a really a hit for me. Saddened that it was never brought up again.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 01:35:22 PM »
616 ,all the way because he has my fave stories.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
Age of X was rad. I wish we would have gotten more of him throughout the story. I agree about the rifle. Definitely a cool addition for the character

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »
I liked 616 - 90's version of Gambit. I did like vampire version of him in Mutant X but he wasn't in enough stories.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 11:50:05 AM »
AoA Gambit because he moved on from Rogue, lol.

Jokes aside, I probably like the Witness first and then a tie between 616 and original AoA Gambit who was with Lila.  Not the crappy AoA Gambit that came after.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 12:14:35 PM »
AoA Gambit because he moved on from Rogue, lol.

Jokes aside, I probably like the Witness first and then a tie between 616 and original AoA Gambit who was with Lila.  Not the crappy AoA Gambit that came after.

Witness is amazing. Such a cool take on Gambit

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 07:10:13 PM »
Ugh, I don't know if i could really say i had a 'favorite', so to speak. A lot of versions have had their pros and cons.

If I had to pick an -absolute- fave, it would likely be the XTAS Gambit, since that's what clued me into the character in the first place. Everyone else was Wolverine or Cyclops... I was always picking Gambit. The only thing I really didn't like a whole lot was referring to himself in the third person, but I guess I got used to it.

After that, well it really depends on the writer. I think I'd read any Gambit written by Claremont, Nicieza, Asmus, and Layman. I would put PAD on the list, but with him it was either really great or really meh, then blaming 'Gambit' fans for not buying more books was a no-no.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 11:53:23 AM »
Ugh, I don't know if i could really say i had a 'favorite', so to speak. A lot of versions have had their pros and cons.

If I had to pick an -absolute- fave, it would likely be the XTAS Gambit, since that's what clued me into the character in the first place. Everyone else was Wolverine or Cyclops... I was always picking Gambit. The only thing I really didn't like a whole lot was referring to himself in the third person, but I guess I got used to it.

After that, well it really depends on the writer. I think I'd read any Gambit written by Claremont, Nicieza, Asmus, and Layman. I would put PAD on the list, but with him it was either really great or really meh, then blaming 'Gambit' fans for not buying more books was a no-no.

That's all fair. I definitely have a soft spot for TAS Gambit but, yeah, he wasn't written too well sometimes.

I like your list of writers. I've been re-reading some X-Treme and forgot how much I liked Claremont's characterization for Gambit. There were a couple moments when I was giggling to myself as my gf gave me weird looks haha

Offline DikTator34

• "The Ragin' Crawfish!"
  • Thief's Apprentice
  • "Losin' not my style"
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 05:34:17 PM »
Always will be the Jim Lee 90's version of the Ragin' Cajun for me.  Just cant seem to get over how sweet Lee made him look, especially the wild hair.  Plus he was a smoker in the beginning which I always thought of as a bad advertising, however it made him appear like more of a rebel/ thug back then in my own opinion.  The first AoA uniform was really cool as well.  I like that he was the leader/ bandit of his own team back then. 

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 11:31:56 AM »
Always will be the Jim Lee 90's version of the Ragin' Cajun for me.  Just cant seem to get over how sweet Lee made him look, especially the wild hair.  Plus he was a smoker in the beginning which I always thought of as a bad advertising, however it made him appear like more of a rebel/ thug back then in my own opinion.  The first AoA uniform was really cool as well.  I like that he was the leader/ bandit of his own team back then.

AoA was pretty great - that was a pretty interesting roster for his team too. Which uniform was the first one? I remember he had the leather jacket and then later had a poncho.

Offline DikTator34

• "The Ragin' Crawfish!"
  • Thief's Apprentice
  • "Losin' not my style"
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 03:33:35 PM »
It was the leather trenchcoat that he started off with, if my memory serves me correctly.  His classic look in the 90's animated series for example.  That's his iconic look that i just always seem to go back to and favor the most.  AoA Remy was cool because he charged up mini throwing knives/ daggers instead of his go to playing cards.  I remember the issue where Colossus accidentally stepped on one of his own teammates during the heat of battle, trampling and killing her and it enraged Gambit so badly that he charged several of those daggers and threw them at Colossus, exploding and shredding his back/ spine while he was in his impenetrable armor state, killing him instantly.  That was one of those epic Gambit moments in my past proving that he wasn't such a weak pee-on like some seem to believe his character is.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 05:19:59 PM »
It was the leather trenchcoat that he started off with, if my memory serves me correctly.  His classic look in the 90's animated series for example.  That's his iconic look that i just always seem to go back to and favor the most.  AoA Remy was cool because he charged up mini throwing knives/ daggers instead of his go to playing cards.  I remember the issue where Colossus accidentally stepped on one of his own teammates during the heat of battle, trampling and killing her and it enraged Gambit so badly that he charged several of those daggers and threw them at Colossus, exploding and shredding his back/ spine while he was in his impenetrable armor state, killing him instantly.  That was one of those epic Gambit moments in my past proving that he wasn't such a weak pee-on like some seem to believe his character is.

Oooh, I see what you're saying. I thought you were talking about his original look in AoA

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 08:27:50 AM »
There will never be a cooler, more awesome version of Gambit than Jim Lee’s. In terms of character development, Claremont and Nicieza are on the top of my list. And there’s also Liu who brought Gambit back when nobody else wanted to write him and gave him an interesting, new relationship.   

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 03:16:11 PM »
Loved Jim Lee's