Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148416 times)

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #285 on: January 15, 2018, 08:03:58 PM »
Not to mention, that XTAS Gambit and comic book Gambit have little in common in terms of personality. So the version people talk about doesn't really exist. And the whole "creepy" thing is head canon as he hasn't been romantically connected with ANY OTHER CHARACTERS outside of his ex-wife and Rogue.

*the highest of fives*

YES. That's the problem with XTAS--it introduced people to the X-Men...but if you weren't Wolverine, Prof. X or Magneto, you didn't get much in the way of characterization. And it's so frustrating as a Gambit fan, because imo, he was one of the least-fleshed out.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #286 on: January 16, 2018, 10:41:33 AM »
*the highest of fives*

YES. That's the problem with XTAS--it introduced people to the X-Men...but if you weren't Wolverine, Prof. X or Magneto, you didn't get much in the way of characterization. And it's so frustrating as a Gambit fan, because imo, he was one of the least-fleshed out.

And what makes it even more frustrating is that's the most he's appeared in a cartoon by far. I liked him more in WatXM (although I wasn't a huge fan of Lamaar's voice for him), but he was only in 2 episodes.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #287 on: January 16, 2018, 06:50:56 PM »
Okay that's enough trashing of X-Men TAS.  ;)  Just kidding. But seriously, X-Men TAS is considered one of the greatest superhero/comic book children's cartoons ever created for good reason. They only had 20 minutes per episode and managed to balance a slew of characters(heroes and villains) many different themes and a bunch of different types of stories. Aside from Wolverine and I guess Xavier and Magneto most of the characters are played at their surface level. Which isn't surprising considering it's a kid show. But along the way you got little hints and insights into their characters which I feel they did for all the characters pretty well. Nice little subtle things too. The best thing the show did was get kids to check out the comics for further material on these characters.

To say Gambit's personality in XTAS has little to do with the comics is a bit off imo. It's just very surface level. The first couple of seasons of XTAS was still pretty early in Gambits creation  and he was still very mysterious. Would I have liked to see more done in later seasons, sure, but let's not forget either that Gambit along with Jubilee appeared in roughly half the episodes that most of the other characters appeared in. But the cartoon spiked the interest. Once you got into the comics Gambit was even cooler, more bad ass, and had more depth and that's where the fandom really began. Gambit is definitely memorable in the cartoon but he really grabbed the fans who picked up the comics.

That's why I get so annoyed with modern day haters who say, "He's more of a side character" "He has lame powers" "He's just a 90's cliche" "He couldn't hold his own movie" etc. To me, these are people who's total knowledge of Gambit is from that cartoon. You could say that about all the characters pretty much in some way. They're all some type of cliche. Aside from Wolverine, Gambit and Rogue are probably the biggest standouts from the show in part due to look and the best voice acting on the show. Unfortunately Gambit's character has suffered a ton of awful writing over the past bunch of years in the comics so considering how popular he was, hate has eventually taken place. Calling him a "90's cliche" is just straight up hate and no one can actually explain what that means. It's just nonsense people spew and can't back it up with any coherent argument.

The episode Aces and Eights from WATXM is a terrific Gambit episode. Though I agree Phil Lamarr's awful voice acting almost ruins it.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #288 on: January 17, 2018, 01:23:08 PM »
There was the part of the podcast that said (she says might a spoiler) that she drew upon the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I have to say I was late to the game on that movie. Probably didn't see it until a year or so ago. It was good. A little trippie and the idea of that being some sort of inspiration is kind of scary, but at the same time supports my original theory of why this book even exists. Ironically it might make a couple of you really happy lol.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #289 on: January 17, 2018, 01:32:04 PM »
It's just very surface level. The first couple of seasons of XTAS was still pretty early in Gambits creation  and he was still very mysterious. Would I have liked to see more done in later seasons, sure, but let's not forget either that Gambit along with Jubilee appeared in roughly half the episodes that most of the other characters appeared in. But the cartoon spiked the interest. Once you got into the comics Gambit was even cooler, more bad ass, and had more depth and that's where the fandom really began. Gambit is definitely memorable in the cartoon but he really grabbed the fans who picked up the comics.

Don't get me wrong, I love XTAS. I was a kid when TAS came out and it was my first exposure to the character (and then I got more interested in him when I got into the comics, kinda how you're describing). But, like you said, it was on early in Gambit's history, so he wasn't fleshed out well, which makes it so the show doesn't do him the justice he deserves. Nothing against the show because I still enjoy watching it - it just wouldn't be something I would recommend (at least not right away) to someone who is interested in the character but knows nothing about him.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #290 on: January 17, 2018, 01:39:01 PM »
There was the part of the podcast that said (she says might a spoiler) that she drew upon the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I have to say I was late to the game on that movie. Probably didn't see it until a year or so ago. It was good. A little trippie and the idea of that being some sort of inspiration is kind of scary, but at the same time supports my original theory of why this book even exists. Ironically it might make a couple of you really happy lol.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the movie as well. It'll be interesting to see how she implements some of those ideas. Either way, hopefully she means that she'll use the ideas to end their weird bickering/drama. Even if they don't get back together, it would just be nice for them to have some respect for one another's lives outside of one another, if that makes sense.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #291 on: January 17, 2018, 02:45:49 PM »
I have an idea of what's going to happen based on her mention of the movie...and what I'm thinking is kind of bittersweet. It'll be an ending *and* a beginning.

“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #292 on: January 17, 2018, 03:13:13 PM »
I think it's all really interesting and has a distinct double edge to it.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #293 on: January 18, 2018, 09:49:22 AM »
and what I'm thinking is kind of bittersweet

I think it's all really interesting and has a distinct double edge to it.

Agreed with both. Which, if it happens (and she pulls it off well), I think could make everybody happy. Keep their relationship open-ended in the end.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #294 on: January 18, 2018, 11:06:33 AM »
I'm not too concerned about that part more than I am of selective memory erasing that's not embraced by the rest of the company. It'd be yet another major development ignored by everyone else not involved with the book.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #295 on: January 18, 2018, 11:20:08 AM »
That's...a very good point. Especially with how crappy Marvel's editor's have been lately continuity-wise.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #296 on: January 18, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
I am a huuuge fan of that movie. Lovie it.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #297 on: January 19, 2018, 10:01:19 AM »
I'm in the minority but I don't like the premise of the movie for which inspiration is being drawn. I think I should stop while I'm ahead. This is clearly not for me.

Memory erasing? Really? I don't know.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #298 on: January 19, 2018, 10:04:06 AM »
Yeah that would be a huge cop-out IMO and run counter to the whole "Well I had to respect continuity."  Right let's respect the continuity that came before by having the characters not remember it, lol.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #299 on: January 19, 2018, 10:35:08 AM »
Maybe she meant more like them reliving those memories in a sense and not really getting them erased.