Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 146863 times)

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #705 on: April 18, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
dosen't Deadpool make fun of everyone and everything..all.day long...continuously. On and on lol -

Well yeah, but it would get old seeing Gambit being dumped on by both him and Fanto for a series

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #706 on: April 18, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »

Well yeah, but it would get old seeing Gambit being dumped on by both him and Fanto for a series

True which is ironic and ridiculous since fanto is big fat blatant ripoff of gambit(coat, thief, accent etc)...did his creator ever admit to the fact>?

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #707 on: April 18, 2018, 02:18:28 PM »

True which is ironic and ridiculous since fanto is big fat blatant ripoff of gambit(coat, thief, accent etc)...did his creator ever admit to the fact>?

I'm not sure if he stated it explicitly, but I'm pretty sure Morrison created him to be a parody of characters created in the 90s like Gambit. And now he's the "X-Men's premier thief". That's like if DC decided to have Midnighter take over the mantle of Batman lol

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #708 on: April 18, 2018, 02:33:49 PM »

I'm not sure if he stated it explicitly, but I'm pretty sure Morrison created him to be a parody of characters created in the 90s like Gambit. And now he's the "X-Men's premier thief". That's like if DC decided to have Midnighter take over the mantle of Batman lol

Midnighter: Gotham's Dark Knight.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #709 on: April 18, 2018, 02:53:30 PM »
Morrison had stated on his own website his dislike for Gambit. He also didn't like Rogue as she was then or is now and wanted to change her, whether it was via death and resurrection or some way with her powers. 

Morrison was an odd guy.

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #710 on: April 18, 2018, 04:29:19 PM »
Morrison had stated on his own website his dislike for Gambit. .
did he say what his reasons were?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2018, 06:53:37 PM »
did he say what his reasons were?

Wow, I am not sure if I remember correctly, because his blog or whatever was incredibly weird. You really had to read some odd things before you got to anything that was Xmen.  And this was back in 2001 or so.  I don't know if his blog is still around either.

I remember that CC traded Beast to Morrison and picked up Gambit with that roster change for X-Treme Xmen.

Morrison didn't like the simian look to Beast, so CC had Sage jump-start his evolution so that Morrison could have cat Beast.

Morrison wanted some of the traits Gambit has but didn't want the character, thus Fantomex was created with some similarities.

Morrison didn't like the concept of the Xavier Institute for Higher Learning as a cover for mutants, he wanted a "school", next thing you know .... there were a ton  of mutants.  Every writer took his lead and started making up groups and new mutants.

Thus the "No More Mutants" and Marvel cutting the group down to 198 of them.

Morrison also wanted to kill off Rogue. There is actually a newer article about that.
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/x-men-grant-morrison-nearly-killed-rogue
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:00:03 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2018, 07:44:26 PM »
I remember Morrison stating that he didn't like characters like Gambit, Cable and Cecilia Reyes because their code names didn't match their powers...it was around 2000 when I read that interview.
He didn't like Rogue either.
He basically copied the movies, turned the X-Men into teachers, they wore boring black clothing, and Wolverine was the focal point...and it sounds like he wanted the crappy movie version of Rogue to replace the original. Morrison at his best was a great writer, but I just wasn't feeling his X-Men, and it became a cluster f*** ever since...

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #713 on: April 18, 2018, 08:17:56 PM »
People give the guy praise but his lead and finally the onset of Milligan made me quit reading from 2003 to nearly 2010.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #714 on: April 18, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »
I remember Morrison stating that he didn't like characters like Gambit, Cable and Cecilia Reyes because their code names didn't match their powers...it was around 2000 when I read that interview.
He didn't like Rogue either.
He basically copied the movies, turned the X-Men into teachers, they wore boring black clothing, and Wolverine was the focal point...and it sounds like he wanted the crappy movie version of Rogue to replace the original. Morrison at his best was a great writer, but I just wasn't feeling his X-Men, and it became a cluster f*** ever since...

I like Morrison. He's done some great stuff for DC (his run on Batman and Robin is one of my favorite Dick Grayson story-lines ever) and I liked the first couple arcs of his New X-Men, but I'm not surprised to hear this stuff. Some of his thinking is a little out there and I can see how his ideas would be polarizing, especially to X-fans

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #715 on: April 18, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »

I'm sort of remembering that now ... I remember thinking ... why would a code name make a big deal with a character. I chalked it up to not understanding any of the characters mentioned.

I like Morrison. He's done some great stuff for DC (his run on Batman and Robin is one of my favorite Dick Grayson story-lines ever) and I liked the first couple arcs of his New X-Men, but I'm not surprised to hear this stuff. Some of his thinking is a little out there and I can see how his ideas would be polarizing, especially to X-fans

Never read his DC stuff but I did read the praise it got from fans.

I tried one arc from his run. All because he was suppose to be doing all these wonderful things - The story arc was "Murder At The Mansion" .... A murder mystery ... I was thinking - great way to rope me in. I love murder mysteries ....

Well .... I can tell you it was a four issue arc and at the end, it was not a murder mystery. In fact, the person murdered didn't stay dead. I know why he couldn't let it go, Morrison loved Emma Frost.

Bottom line, what was promised was not delivered. And I never wasted another dollar on a book solicited in such a way for characters with no investment from me.

I know we're a tad off topic but til previews for issue #5, it might not be so bad. Up to you folks.

If there is some way to steer back though and someone has an idea - share it. :)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #716 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:28 AM »
I suppose it's marginally on topic as Morrison hated Gambit and Rogue. He seemed to be kinda the first 90's bad, hipster type writers. Though clearly he did not have a crush on Rogue (like most of the eighties kid writers)  as Emma was his waifu/self insert (seriously she suddenly had an English accent when he was writing.)

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #717 on: April 19, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »
In fact, the person murdered didn't stay dead.

So, business as usual for comics  ;D

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #718 on: April 19, 2018, 11:16:06 AM »
So, business as usual for comics  ;D

Indeed!  ;D

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #719 on: April 19, 2018, 05:08:15 PM »
Though clearly he did not have a crush on Rogue (like most of the eighties kid writers)...

I thought I was the only one that noticed that for a while. Every time a writer would get their hands on her, Rogue immediately was flirting with what was obviously their favorite character.