Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 146871 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #765 on: May 03, 2018, 10:20:33 PM »
I guess it actually doesn't matter. Its not like much will be carried over to anywhere. Is what it is. LOL

I beg to differ. Those flea bags have followed him since Astonishing. He cant seem to shake them. They are the final linchpin to what's left of Marvel's continuity. May they live long and prosper... Until cat confetti, of course.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #766 on: May 04, 2018, 05:22:53 AM »

I beg to differ. Those flea bags have followed him since Astonishing. He cant seem to shake them. They are the final linchpin to what's left of Marvel's continuity. May they live long and prosper... Until cat confetti, of course.

*chortle* better them than Rogue I say! LMAO. At least they'll love him unconditionally, they won't dump him off in Antarctica. Okay, okay, I'll stop. LOL ... I am making fun. :)

Offline cajunpirate

• Master Thief
« Reply #767 on: May 07, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »
First, I really hope I am completely off-base here, but...

does anyone else think Marvel is going to pull the ultimate switch in Gold 30, the one where Kitty / Peter get married? I think it ends up being Gambit / Rogue who tie the knot, after Peter / Kitty decide not to go through with it. We just had a Rogue / Gambit run that pretty much highlighted their entire romance, the ups and downs, together (via clones), and Gambit is now making cameos in Gold, albeit brief lines such as "anything for you chere." The cover of 30 shows the 2 front and center there, and pretty tight, and now a secret poly-bagged cover has just been announced by Marvel. Again, hope I am wrong, as I much prefer the solo Gambit, but I have to be honest, this idea has been gnawing at me for awhile now.

If I bummed anyone out (besides myself), to cheer yourself up, check out etsy.com and type in Gambit. Some pretty cool stuff to buy.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #768 on: May 07, 2018, 09:01:52 AM »

does anyone else think Marvel is going to pull the ultimate switch in Gold 30, the one where Kitty / Peter get married? I think it ends up being Gambit / Rogue who tie the knot, after Peter / Kitty decide not to go through with it. We just had a Rogue / Gambit run that pretty much highlighted their entire romance, the ups and downs, together (via clones), and Gambit is now making cameos in Gold, albeit brief lines such as "anything for you chere." The cover of 30 shows the 2 front and center there, and pretty tight, and now a secret poly-bagged cover has just been announced by Marvel. Again, hope I am wrong, as I much prefer the solo Gambit, but I have to be honest, this idea has been gnawing at me for awhile now.

If I bummed anyone out (besides myself), to cheer yourself up, check out etsy.com and type in Gambit. Some pretty cool stuff to buy.

No, I doubt that. I don't think it's their style.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #769 on: May 07, 2018, 09:08:35 AM »
A Different World? But without the bride stealing. LOL

No, I doubt that. I don't think it's their style.

Not their style... but definitely Guggenheim's style.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:10:42 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #770 on: May 07, 2018, 09:25:38 AM »

Saw such ideas at CBR. Always thought that it is insane idea :)  But then X Classified one shot got announced. Without any story, characters or writers. Bleedingcool says that one shot will tie in to Wedding special and that it will arrive with hiden covers. So you won`t find spoilers till you read it.

And after that I thought that wedding change can really happen.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:47:31 AM by purplevit »

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #771 on: May 07, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »
That is an interesting angle, but I still can't see it. Marvel's have been struggling, I don't think they'd pass up the extra sales this would bring. The G+R mini would have sold better, because it would have been previewed as 'important' and not a throw away mini. And orders for the wedding issues would likely have been bigger, too.

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #772 on: May 07, 2018, 06:27:04 PM »

It crossed my mind, mostly because there were a number of allusions to "marriage" in Gambit's dialogue lately, i.e. Gambit stating in Astonishing that he wasn't asking to "conjure up a priest and get married" (or whatever it was he said) then the comment to Nightcrawler about not seeing him and Rogue tying the knot in Gold, plus, of course the ending of R+G with his "important question" (which ended up being about his cats, LOL).

I don't think it's going to happen, but I still find the allusions a bit odd...

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #773 on: May 07, 2018, 08:10:06 PM »
While a lot of the allusions are true, I think if they went through with it -now- it would be doing a disservice to Marvel and its fans both, especially ROMY fans. I know there are some who had the torch lit for the two of them after all these years, but it's been what, a decade or longer since they were last actually 'together'?

Romy was up there with Scott and Jean in regards to popularity in the 90's, and they've spent the last 20 years letting it splutter and die (if not outright trying to kill it *cough*CAREY*cough*MILLIGAN*cough*), with a few moments where it looked like it was going to be revived only to go on life support once again. They've got 10+ years of people getting into comics since then having no idea what Romy is, and having a wedding between the two of them when they literally just got back together an issue ago strikes me as an incredible waste.

Rogue is already in super-popular territory, but Gambit has been relegated to sidekick/wallpaper status, he needs more time being given his own development and not left as an afterthought before the two of them having a wedding would even be considered worth it, in my opinion.

Gambit is the #$%#$% KING OF THIEVES in the comicverse, but that barely even gets a whisper, and the last one who did was PAD. Anyone could use that, or resurfacing powers, or have him lead a team book for a year - THEN do the wedding. Otherwise the conversation will be like this:

"Oh hey, Rogue is getting married, can you believe it?"
"Really? Wow, that's awesome!"
"Yeah!"
"So uh... who is she getting married to? She hasn't dated anyone in a while, at least not seriously. It's not Magneto, is it? Wasn't he the last one? Or was it Deadpool?"
"Ugh no, it's actually Gambit."
"..."
"..."
"Really?"
"Uh, yeah, really."
"Didn't they break up, like, forever ago?"
"Yeah, but supposedly there was a mini that got them together again, then they immediately decided to tie the knot, I guess."
"That's... pretty lame."
"Yeah, but hey, it's Marvel."
"True."

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #774 on: May 08, 2018, 09:28:23 AM »
Yeah, I get that reasoning. Definitely since since Milligan marvel's been a ticely trying to 'destroy' romy and laughing about. The only time it would get mentioned was when the current writer would bring it up basically to say 'hey, remember how big this was? Well, Gambit sucks, my guy is better...oh come one! How come everyone is not agreeing that my guy is better?! ' To turn around now and say well, I guess they've back together and now their married, especially as a double wedding my with a less popular couple, who is getting all the attention and promotion.

I still think it's happening because my previously stated reasons, but one reason it might happen is because marvel loves trolling romy fans, lol

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #775 on: May 08, 2018, 05:31:53 PM »
While a lot of the allusions are true, I think if they went through with it -now- it would be doing a disservice to Marvel and its fans both, especially ROMY fans. I know there are some who had the torch lit for the two of them after all these years, but it's been what, a decade or longer since they were last actually 'together'?

Romy was up there with Scott and Jean in regards to popularity in the 90's, and they've spent the last 20 years letting it splutter and die (if not outright trying to kill it *cough*CAREY*cough*MILLIGAN*cough*), with a few moments where it looked like it was going to be revived only to go on life support once again. They've got 10+ years of people getting into comics since then having no idea what Romy is, and having a wedding between the two of them when they literally just got back together an issue ago strikes me as an incredible waste.

Rogue is already in super-popular territory, but Gambit has been relegated to sidekick/wallpaper status, he needs more time being given his own development and not left as an afterthought before the two of them having a wedding would even be considered worth it, in my opinion.

Gambit is the #$%#$% KING OF THIEVES in the comicverse, but that barely even gets a whisper, and the last one who did was PAD. Anyone could use that, or resurfacing powers, or have him lead a team book for a year - THEN do the wedding. Otherwise the conversation will be like this:

"Oh hey, Rogue is getting married, can you believe it?"
"Really? Wow, that's awesome!"
"Yeah!"
"So uh... who is she getting married to? She hasn't dated anyone in a while, at least not seriously. It's not Magneto, is it? Wasn't he the last one? Or was it Deadpool?"
"Ugh no, it's actually Gambit."
"..."
"..."
"Really?"
"Uh, yeah, really."
"Didn't they break up, like, forever ago?"
"Yeah, but supposedly there was a mini that got them together again, then they immediately decided to tie the knot, I guess."
"That's... pretty lame."
"Yeah, but hey, it's Marvel."
"True."

I completely disagree with this statement. No one says "awesome" when they hear someone's getting married this days. Typically its a nonchalant "really? that's nice" then some exploratory questions, and perhaps some more well-wishes leading up the wedding with some "buts" left in to hedge bets.

This is going to go over some heads...

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #776 on: May 08, 2018, 05:35:22 PM »
...To turn around now and say well, I guess they've back together and now their married, especially as a double wedding my with a less popular couple, who is getting all the attention and promotion.

You do know this happened on Arrow/Flash like a couple months ago, right? Made me gag. Same guy that wrote that is writing this book, so...

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #777 on: May 08, 2018, 06:42:10 PM »

I completely disagree with this statement. No one says "awesome" when they hear someone's getting married this days. Typically its a nonchalant "really? that's nice" then some exploratory questions, and perhaps some more well-wishes leading up the wedding with some "buts" left in to hedge bets.

This is going to go over some heads...

It was meant to be over the top, unless I'm being thick in the head and you caught on to that.  :o

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #778 on: May 08, 2018, 10:53:45 PM »

You do know this happened on Arrow/Flash like a couple months ago, right? Made me gag. Same guy that wrote that is writing this book, so...
Lol, I did learn that... scary thought...  :o

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #779 on: May 09, 2018, 08:46:23 AM »

It was meant to be over the top, unless I'm being thick in the head and you caught on to that.  :o

I knew no one was going to get it...