Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148465 times)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »

...where have you seen Gambit and Deadpool have a relationship since that book? We still don't know when that story took place as it had Gambit in his classic get-up and Deadpool didn't seem to have any relationship with Brother Voodoo. Deadpool has an ongoing and (was) part of several team books. It hasn't been brought up once, not even as a gag in UA where it would have had the biggest chance of being referenced. That book (which should have been cc's dream) devolved into utter nonsense. You give Marvel's observance of continuity too much credit. I'm almost certain that book was a cash grab because Marvel thought the Gambit movie was going to be in theaters, but when it got pushed they didn't want to hold onto it anymore, so they just added it to the Deadpool catalog.

And I just realized Neko's avatar is the ANXF cover with all those... things.

I didn't say they have a relationship outside the book.  I said at least the book established a new relationship that didn't really exist before.  I enjoy Gambit interacting with people he hasn't interacted with before even though again the story was lame.  And it most certainly was a cash grab. 

Just like this book is most certainly a cash grab but it's a cash grab exploring a relationship I have seen done to death for 2 decades.  So again, I ask, what in this book will represent lasting development?  You are avoiding the question because deep down you know the answer.  There will be none.  Marvel will prostitute Gambit and Rogue to make a quick buck.  You just don't mind because you like the two together which is fine.

Neko and I are tired of this Marvel strategy so it's why we don't like the premise of the book.  Again, not much different than when they prostituted Gambit and Deadpool but the difference is I haven't seen those two interact as much so it's not as stale a concept as this book is.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »
Avoiding the question? I didn't know you were asking... Sounded rhetorical. You read far too into that. When I respond its like you see what you want, sometimes. I never said I wanted this book, written by this writer. When it was announced I found it hilarious. I wasn't swooning as you seem to believe. I'm just not opposed to it as you are. I already said just a couple posts ago: "I THINK THIS BOOK IS A SET UP TO SEPARATE THE CHARACTERS." That's what I voted above in the poll I inserted on this thread more than two weeks ago. My lack of disdain for the couple doesn't mean I'm cheering them on, or even want them together. I. Don't. Really. Care. That is what Marvel has done to my "preference". End of the day, it's still happening. Got to live with that.

Most of, if not all, of my fandom for them as a couple doesn't exist past 2002, or whenever XXM ended. The only version of them that worked for me were alternate reality versions of the characters (The End and AoX, and that wasn't even them together). I just want to read a good book with my favorite comic character. And he's not slated to be anywhere else for the foreseeable future (I'm not happy about that. I'm already reading a DC title). I simply don't have the same hang-ups about Rogue as some of you. I don't think the character is the problem. Its the writers lack of imagination and their understanding of what makes Gambit work, ultimately. I said a looooonng time ago, that the only way I'd buy them being together was with some sort of universe reset or them to be able to address, on panel, the last decade of bad story lines. I figured that wouldn't be possible in a team book due to time constraints and I didn't see either of them getting a solo to do that and TBH I didn't think a book like that sounded like much fun. I've said this. If I had the patience I'd go find the post.

I think a while after I mocked up Gambit/Rogue fanfic outline to demonstrate as much. I think Purp got a kick out of that. But I digress... this announcement was quite a surprise. I'm also the same guy that's been advocating for Polaris, and Sage. You're painting me out to be some sorta of Romy-warrior. Go ahead and back track my posts and see where I'm such a bleeding heart.  Before I spoke KT I was not onboard with giving this a shot. And thats all I'm doing. I'm not singing any praises outside of how different she is to Soule (patronizing), Duggan (dick), Gage (spineless), PAD (spaz) and Carey (nutcase). I even pointed out that she was implicated in that "comic-gate" thing, which would be a strike against her. So I'm not saying this book is going to work or even be good. I'm saying I'm keeping an open mind, and I rather see how this boils out opposed to Gambit being in limbo alongside Boom Boom, Cecelia Reyes, and several other characters I like.

You're making assumptions about my mindset based on the fact that I don't feel the same way you do. It's like your insinuating that your either: Spazticat (die hard fan) or Badou (zealot against) in terms of how you feel about the couple. Man, @#$% that. I'm Pricetag. Can't put Pricetag in a corner. No one puts Pricetag in a corner! (thats probably going over everyones head).
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 04:05:28 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2017, 04:04:48 PM »
And I just realized Neko's avatar is the ANXF cover with all those... things.

heh heh! You finally noticed!  :2funny:

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2017, 04:31:41 PM »
Gambit and Rogue are one of the most iconic couples in comics history. They should have had such book a long time ago and I think it is good that they finally have such book.

Should they be a couple again? I think no. So far it is just a 5 issue mini about ex couple that will be friends in it.

I believe in KT answers and hope for the best. Will see.

Also I doubt that we would get Gambit project right now if it was without Rogue. It seems he will be in limbo after Astonishing and R&G till 2019 when they will announce solo to capitalize on movie.

Also it is kinda funny that Storm whose previous book Gambit last issue outsold on issue 5 is getting new book but Gambit's new solo is not interesting for Marvel.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »
Agreed they are iconic and yes, this book should have been published in 2000's or earlier to capitalize on the appeal. Its why it feels like to me as a ploy to get money and not really worry about the story so much. Which again makes me think of the DvG mini as well. It wasn't that those writers cared all that much. It was to make money. No matter how well the book does, KT got paid.

Not a thing wrong with having faith in KT and her promotional responses. But I'm not going to spend the time with her or her answers.  Nor will I spend time on social media with her. I don't have it in me to vest in that. That said, good for her to work social media and getting fans pumped up. That is smart for sales. Good, I hope she is successful.

I'll wait til an issue comes out. See what happens, for me now -I don't believe in anything writers tell us, I need to read it/see it.

Marvel is producing or force feeding the same ol' stuff over and over again. I never needed a Ms. Marvel or Captain Marvel. Yet they get relaunch or whatever repeatedly. Squirrel Girl as well. Those books are not sales burners by any stretch. The O5 and their adult versions hold no appeal.  Yet, there they are with stories and books. Female versions of male originals again, not for me. There is literally no book where I say, wow - can't wait til Wednesday to get that one.

The problem has been the same for quite some time. We're stuck with the same characters over and over again. And when Gambit finally gets something, I have to decide whether or not to support based on the premise he is thrown into. There was a time when that didn't matter to me, it does now. I can't do it anymore.

Look, if everyone here is digging the idea and concept, again. Awesome. All the power to you. Embrace it. I can't though, I'll live vicariously through others. I'm incredibly happy for Don, cc, Purp, and the list goes on who is looking forward to the material. You are getting something and looking forward to it. That is good enough for me. I'll hang out in a corner, probably with Remydat, drink beer and find something else to do.   ;)

Don - totally forgot about the Liu story. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 05:54:24 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2017, 05:53:36 PM »
Avoiding the question? I didn't know you were asking... Sounded rhetorical. You read far too into that. When I respond its like you see what you want, sometimes. I never said I wanted this book, written by this writer. When it was announced I found it hilarious. I wasn't swooning as you seem to believe. I'm just not opposed to it as you are. I already said just a couple posts ago: "I THINK THIS BOOK IS A SET UP TO SEPARATE THE CHARACTERS." That's what I voted above in the poll I inserted on this thread more than two weeks ago. My lack of disdain for the couple doesn't mean I'm cheering them on, or even want them together. I. Don't. Really. Care. That is what Marvel has done to my "preference". End of the day, it's still happening. Got to live with that.

Most of, if not all, of my fandom for them as a couple doesn't exist past 2002, or whenever XXM ended. The only version of them that worked for me were alternate reality versions of the characters (The End and AoX, and that wasn't even them together). I just want to read a good book with my favorite comic character. And he's not slated to be anywhere else for the foreseeable future (I'm not happy about that. I'm already reading a DC title). I simply don't have the same hang-ups about Rogue as some of you. I don't think the character is the problem. Its the writers lack of imagination and their understanding of what makes Gambit work, ultimately. I said a looooonng time ago, that the only way I'd buy them being together was with some sort of universe reset or them to be able to address, on panel, the last decade of bad story lines. I figured that wouldn't be possible in a team book due to time constraints and I didn't see either of them getting a solo to do that and TBH I didn't think a book like that sounded like much fun. I've said this. If I had the patience I'd go find the post.

I think a while after I mocked up Gambit/Rogue fanfic outline to demonstrate as much. I think Purp got a kick out of that. But I digress... this announcement was quite a surprise. I'm also the same guy that's been advocating for Polaris, and Sage. You're painting me out to be some sorta of Romy-warrior. Go ahead and back track my posts and see where I'm such a bleeding heart.  Before I spoke KT I was not onboard with giving this a shot. And thats all I'm doing. I'm not singing any praises outside of how different she is to Soule (patronizing), Duggan (dick), Gage (spineless), PAD (spaz) and Carey (nutcase). I even pointed out that she was implicated in that "comic-gate" thing, which would be a strike against her. So I'm not saying this book is going to work or even be good. I'm saying I'm keeping an open mind, and I rather see how this boils out opposed to Gambit being in limbo alongside Boom Boom, Cecelia Reyes, and several other characters I like.

You're making assumptions about my mindset based on the fact that I don't feel the same way you do. It's like your insinuating that your either: Spazticat (die hard fan) or Badou (zealot against) in terms of how you feel about the couple. Man, @#$% that. I'm Pricetag. Can't put Pricetag in a corner. No one puts Pricetag in a corner! (thats probably going over everyones head).

The characters don't need separating.  They haven't been a couple for almost a decade now.  It's a cash grab plain and simple.

And my point about you being a Romy fan is not to say you are diehard for the couple being together right now.  The point here was you are a fan of both characters.  I'm at the point now where I absolutely hate Rogue.  That's what marvel has driven me to.  You exist in a world where you can still see them having a relationship whether that be friends or otherwise.  I exist in a world where I honestly wish they would stay apart to the point I'd prefer death for one of the characters than seeing them together.  If Gambit were sick and dying on the road, I'd want Rogue to keep on walking rather than help him.

So there is simply no bridging that gap and I have no desire to sugar coat things just because some Gambit fans are also Rogue fans.  I have no obligation to pretend to like or tolerate Rogue just because so many Gambit fans like her.  I get that it's Marvel and the writers fault and not Rogue herself but too bad, I wish would just go away and Avenger and Gambit could be left out of any and all stories concerning her.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2017, 05:55:10 PM »
...what exactly do you all think I'm trying to say?
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2017, 05:58:47 PM »

The characters don't need separating.  They haven't been a couple for almost a decade now.  It's a cash grab plain and simple.

And my point about you being a Romy fan is not to say you are diehard for the couple being together right now.  The point here was you are a fan of both characters.  I'm at the point now where I absolutely hate Rogue.  That's what marvel has driven me to.  You exist in a world where you can still see them having a relationship whether that be friends or otherwise.  I exist in a world where I honestly wish they would stay apart to the point I'd prefer death for one of the characters than seeing them together.  If Gambit were sick and dying on the road, I'd want Rogue to keep on walking rather than help him.

So there is simply no bridging that gap and I have no desire to sugar coat things just because some Gambit fans are also Rogue fans.  I have no obligation to pretend to like or tolerate Rogue just because so many Gambit fans like her.  I get that it's Marvel and the writers fault and not Rogue herself but too bad, I wish would just go away and Avenger and Gambit could be left out of any and all stories concerning her.

You've... Had some pretty rough relationships, huh?

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »
...what exactly do you all think I'm trying to say?

I don't think it's a matter of what you are trying to say.  I think it's a matter of we are on two opposing sides of a war.  That's melodramatic but the point here is this is not personal.  You are a great poster and we will always share a love of all things Gambit.

However, we will never see eye to eye on Rogue and her being around Gambit and there is no way for you to make the relationship palatable to us.  I completely understand why you want to give this book a try and I don't fault or blame you for it.  But I am opposed to everything this book represents.

So there is nothing for us to do except accept that when it comes to this, we are on opposing sides of a conflict.  You defend Gambit and Rogue being friends, acquaintances, lovers or whatever and I will rail against it till the end of time.  History has conspired to make us enemies in this conflict but it is what it is.  We must all act in accordance with our beliefs on this matter and there is no reason for it to get personal or for their to be insults or the like.  We just have a fundamental difference of opinion on this matter that will never be resolved until Gambit is treated with respect by Marvel.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:04:08 PM by remydat »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2017, 06:05:02 PM »

You've... Had some pretty rough relationships, huh?

Nah I am friends with most of my long term ex'es and one of them remains one of my best friends.  Mainly because none of them have ever treated me like how Rogue treated Gambit  ;D

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2017, 06:24:24 PM »
I actually don't want Gambit anywhere near Rogue at the moment. Ive said that too... I'm just accepting that this book and AST are actually happening. I'm willing to give KT a chance simply because I like to take people at the word and I also would like to read Gambit in a comic book that's not 20 years old... Seriously, I just bought a lot of like 10 books from 90 something on eBay. In many many ways you all care more about this than even I do. I'm just not as cynical.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2017, 06:30:07 PM »
I actually don't want Gambit anywhere near Rogue at the moment. Ive said that too... I'm just accepting that this book and AST are actually happening. I'm willing to give KT a chance simply because I like to take people at the word and I also would like to read Gambit in a comic book that's not 20 years old... Seriously, I just bought a lot of like 10 books from 90 something on eBay. In many many ways you all care more about this than even I do. I'm just not as cynical.

And in many ways I envy your ability to still hope.  My capacity for hope and my ability to give Rogue and Gambit a chance died a long time ago.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »
Perhaps some are more cynical than others. I think the issue with taking people at their word means pressure for the pay off of what is meant by that word. There is an expectation that you didn't realize you were holding on to. You can be disappointed. It happens.

Edit: if the word is kept then that is a bonus and enjoyment is achieved. I may be too jaded to hold on to that though. LOL

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:42:46 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline M

• X-Man
« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2017, 04:44:25 AM »
Perhaps some are more cynical than others. I think the issue with taking people at their word means pressure for the pay off of what is meant by that word. There is an expectation that you didn't realize you were holding on to. You can be disappointed. It happens.

Edit: if the word is kept then that is a bonus and enjoyment is achieved. I may be too jaded to hold on to that though. LOL

Mayhaps, sometimes people -as you still seem stuck in  :gambit: - wretch thinking about the same sullen tic-toc of words upon.... New Orleans

This could be a very good comic... I doubt the author, but selling off is like selling off to the x-tinction agenda. Maybe, some of you stitches still know
it.

Then again maybe,
just maybe
this author could do an entertaining series

As for
I need some change
who got that?
what mutie? got that?
none
except Legion. That was sick ass series

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #104 on: November 04, 2017, 09:21:22 PM »
... your keyboard working ok?