Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148741 times)

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
Yeah, I see your point, Neko. That ad's pretty bad, even by PR standards. It's like they're trying to appeal to a wider audience at the cost of possibly pissing off the very people who want to buy the book - aka Rogue and Gambit fans. But that dialogue is still lame, so hopefully no one reads too much into it.

I'm still pretty excited for the book itself, though. I have faith in KT. Hopefully this will be the only bad thing to come out of the book.

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »
I'm totally with you Neko. You know I'm a fan of these two's rapport with each other but not like this. This is exactly what I hate and fearful of in this series. It kills Gambit's character.

Is this the cover for issue #1? When everyone says "this is just an ad"  do you mean we will not see this as a cover?

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2017, 03:55:15 PM »
I'm totally with you Neko. You know I'm a fan of these two's rapport with each other but not like this. This is exactly what I hate and fearful of in this series. It kills Gambit's character.

Is this the cover for issue #1? When everyone says "this is just an ad"  do you mean we will not see this as a cover?

Correct, the thought bubbles should not be on the actual cover for #1. And if it is, I will be more peeved than I am right now.

I will give KT/Perez a shot but if I was base my decision on that ad, I wouldn't even bother with the book.

Which is why I pointed out, that while we know KT's intentions and have her assurances, there are plenty who have no clue.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
It's this cover but without the thought bubbles. It's part of a line of different ads that are supposed to be retro looking
 https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/12/06/marvel-retro-ads-guardians-rogue-gambit-x-men-old-man-hawkeye/

edit, not sure what happened with the text, but I fixed it. - Neko
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:11:53 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2017, 05:25:17 PM »
Who's doing the advertising then? That's the exact type of stuff that make people roll their eyes and groan at Gambit and Rogue. And it annoys the hardcore fans of the characters. Awful stuff.  Honestly guys, I really don't even like that artwork. Multiple red flags pop up immediately to me. It's a really bad first look imo.

And whats "retro" about it?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:28:21 PM by wantutosigh »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #140 on: December 08, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »
And whats "retro" about it?

I don't know about the "retro" thing. I really didn't spend time looking.

That's the exact type of stuff that make people roll their eyes and groan at Gambit and Rogue. And it annoys the hardcore fans of the characters. Awful stuff. 

You stated what I could not more clearly, thank you. Agreed. Again, those who don't spend the time with comic books online will see that ad and could make judgements. Some might like it, some might not. It was not a great way to solicit the book. IMO.

Honestly guys, I really don't even like that artwork. Multiple red flags pop up immediately to me. It's a really bad first look imo.

All we have is KT's assurances that this book won't be like the ad. I'll give it a shot but there are other issues or red flags as you noted already. I was already on the fence with this book. Still am, how its advertised doesn't help in any way.

I know there are those who believe the words of KT, but we've been bamboozled  more than once by a writer. The proof will be in print and she really only has one issue to show me. Just my opinion.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #141 on: December 08, 2017, 06:33:49 PM »
KT does seem more sincere than some of the other writers, but you do never now.

As for the 'retro' aspect, I think it's supposed to mimic the thought bubbles from the old romance comics, which also usually said stupid stuff ( and that were occasionally mocked by the fine arts community...). I think it's actually supposed to be funny, (though it's not funny.) Though I would not be surprised if this book didn't exactly have the full support of the marvel staff and they weren't trying very hard to do a good job. :/

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2017, 02:55:18 PM »
KT does seem more sincere than some of the other writers, but you do never now.

I agree. She seems to care about the characters and that is a positive thing.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2017, 07:34:32 PM »

Rosenberg:

So last night I read ROGUE & GAMBIT #1 by @79SemiFinalist, Pere Perez, & co. I don't want to spend too much time harping on this but y'all better read this f***ing book.

It's smart, fun, intriguing, and most importantly it is doing something that almost nothing at Marvel, hell almost nothing in comics period, is doing. It is a romance comic, but through the lens of X-Men.

And if it was simply that I think it would be reason enough to support it. But it isn't. This is a super smart, adult take on romance storytelling. It's about disappointment, anger, resentment, and trust in your partner.

It never hits you over the head with it, but this is the type of relationship story we don't get enough of in any media. It's a story of how we navigate the lives we share with damaged people.

And there are cameos from some of my favorite X-Men. It makes me laugh. It has some great action. It's gorgeous and cleverly laid out. And it ends on a truly great moment. So make sure you grab this one. It's A+ comicking in a way we don't get a lot.

Offline bigbarda

• Survivor
« Reply #145 on: December 10, 2017, 08:51:37 AM »
I'm intrigued. Will this be the first comic with both Rogue and Gambit in it that hasn't made me dry heave since CC Milligan's run?

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #146 on: December 10, 2017, 09:35:39 AM »
It might be... (knock on wood)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #147 on: December 10, 2017, 06:52:01 PM »
Friggin book has buried landmines everywhere. With as much controversy it's fostered I think it's going to do really well if people can get past the corny first issue cover.... That cover is really corny to me and made me laugh out loud the first time I saw it.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #148 on: December 10, 2017, 07:10:14 PM »
*siiiiiigh* Confession time: I've gone from "not interested" to "kind of excited." It hurts to admit it.

It's been years since I've shipped Romy. And I know it'll be a disappointment somehow. But I'm considering ending my Marvel boycott and giving this a shot.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #149 on: December 10, 2017, 09:35:40 PM »
It's hard not to want to give this a try. And I have to admit, Marvel focusing on a romantic couple in a series, whatever the scenario, is a bit outside the box for them in recent times. If it's done even decently it could be pretty popular. And Gambit and Rogue at one point were a very special duo.