Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148534 times)

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »
i think the Deadpool kiss thing is more Rogue trying to get a rise out of Remy, the bits i liked are the Storm interaction and his powers in the danger room. His interaction with Rogue in the beginning while at first i hated it did remind me of their first kind of interactions ie. the basketball game which was fine then but not now, Remy is like a love sick broken record, Rogue has moved on he should too, so the advertising bubble on the cover a while back was true and going by the issue was written by Kelly Thompson.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »
i think the Deadpool kiss thing is more Rogue trying to get a rise out of Remy

That...actually makes a lot of sense for Rogue

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2018, 12:53:13 PM »
Soooooo, verdict for just a plain ol' Gambit fan?  I mean I liked their relationship in the past but I've been seriously over it for a long time.

I'm hearing mixed things about it.  Gambit fans are saying he's begging Rogue (I've heard it's the same old thing of he likes her but she says it's over blah blah blah, annoying repitition), but then Rogue fans are saying that he's not begging her, he's just pushing her buttons and flirting like he did in the 90's.  Not sure who to believe!

It doesn't get released in the UK till tomorrow, I found out when I went to the shop, so could somebody do me the kindness of PM'ing me just a scan or two so I can make a judgement call? Could save a few pounds if it doesn't tickle my fancy.

I think you need to check it. Some things you will like and some are not but it is not some cameo for Gambit.

Here 2 lettered pages that I found in interviews.

https://static3.cbrimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/rogue-gambit-page.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1311&fit=crop
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSkndN_X4AA33tz.jpg

But my favourite page that made this book for me is not here ;D 
Penultimate was my favourite in comics and last one made me really laugh.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:01:18 PM by purplevit »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »
Soooooo, verdict for just a plain ol' Gambit fan?  I mean I liked their relationship in the past but I've been seriously over it for a long time.

I'm hearing mixed things about it.  Gambit fans are saying he's begging Rogue (I've heard it's the same old thing of he likes her but she says it's over blah blah blah, annoying repitition), but then Rogue fans are saying that he's not begging her, he's just pushing her buttons and flirting like he did in the 90's.  Not sure who to believe!

It doesn't get released in the UK till tomorrow, I found out when I went to the shop, so could somebody do me the kindness of PM'ing me just a scan or two so I can make a judgement call? Could save a few pounds if it doesn't tickle my fancy.

Nothing really happens in the book except Gambit wanting to be with Rogue and Rogue refusing.  Depending on your affection for Romy, you either hate it or think it is fun but either way, it literally is just Gambit wanting to be with Rogue and Rogue refusing.

As a Gambit fan, I would just tell you to get the scan of the Storm scene and the danger room scene (Pixie is kind of funny) but otherwise save your money.  Maybe see how issue 2 goes because again the majority of the story is Gambit wanting to be with Rogue and Rogue refusing.  That's literally like 70-80% of the comic.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2018, 01:49:40 PM »

Nothing really happens in the book except Gambit wanting to be with Rogue and Rogue refusing.  Depending on your affection for Romy, you either hate it or think it is fun but either way, it literally is just Gambit wanting to be with Rogue and Rogue refusing.

As a Gambit fan, I would just tell you to get the scan of the Storm scene and the danger room scene (Pixie is kind of funny) but otherwise save your money.  Maybe see how issue 2 goes because again the majority of the story is Gambit wanting to be with Rogue and Rogue refusing.  That's literally like 70-80% of the comic.

Thanks for the info. I'll take a pass on love sick puppy version of Gambit. Makes me happy though Rogue probably wont be in the movie.

Offline Spoonz

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2018, 02:07:51 PM »
That's disappointing to hear, the danger room scene looks good but Dantay's right, it doesn't work with everything that's been happening over the last few years. 

Hopefully I'll be able to get the full scene somewhere and the one with Storm, then I'll wait for issue 2 and hope for the best!

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #186 on: January 03, 2018, 02:21:13 PM »

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #187 on: January 03, 2018, 02:27:43 PM »
https://www.cbr.com/rogue-and-gambit-interview-kelly-thompson/ an interview with the writer, she talks about the fist issue so kinda spoilers

Offline Dandesun

• Master Thief
  • Yes, I am a Dinosaur.
« Reply #188 on: January 03, 2018, 02:48:25 PM »
There is an uneven feel to the relationship that's been there for a long time because the guy writers that have grown up and are writing seem to have an aversion to Gambit while adoring Rogue. That doesn't always work out, though... I really haven't been a Rogue fan since Carey got his mits on her. And because Remy doesn't have the page time that Rogue does, she gets to have new relationships and flirtations (some of which happen completely off-screen... Rogue/Johnny Storm) whereas if Remy so much as hits on another woman, Rogue invariably shows up to be judgemental.

Talk about your double-edged swords. But, hell, that was set up ages ago on Utopia with Remy's speech about how he knows that he is Rogue's endgame but she's know so sure, so until she is, he's not going to be following her around. Then he disappears for years at a time and shows up to puppy dog eyes at Rogue while she snubs him. It's a boring trend and has been for a long time. About as boring as the "Ah cain't TOUCH yuh, Remy!" "Mebbe, mebbe not, cherie..." merry go round of angst that started in the 90s in the first place.

Their barbed banter has always been fun but if there's nothing to back it up, it's just empty.

That being said, Remy asking her not to bring up the fact that they're beyond repair in whatever therapy they're going to take part in was a vulnerable moment that I could appreciate. Rogue's defeatist attitude about their baggage being too much followed up by Remy saying he's the only one carrying it... well, that's all true. It has always seemed like Rogue loved being the object of Remy's attention and affection but none too eager to put in the actual work. She always has excuses but never just says 'Look... this just isn't going to work, I'm not as invested as you. I shouldn't be jerking you around like this.' Because she LIKES the attention. So, either fish or cut bait as the saying goes.

If they want to move forward with them coming together again then Rogue has to step up in a big way. And if they're not going to do that, then let Remy have an actual relationship that isn't a freaking joke in the books. For as much as he's supposed to be a ladies man, Remy is the most celibate Cassanova ever.

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #189 on: January 03, 2018, 02:57:44 PM »
How are his powers and skills portrayed?

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #190 on: January 03, 2018, 03:11:30 PM »
KT tweeted to my conversation with Don:

Just to be clear...there's NO WAY anyone is a better kisser than Gambit...and nobody knows that better than Rogue. Rogue just ALSO knows how to get under Gambit's skin...& is enjoying giving him a hard time for trying to police who she kisses. ;D

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #191 on: January 03, 2018, 03:18:45 PM »
KT tweeted to my conversation with Don:

Just to be clear...there's NO WAY anyone is a better kisser than Gambit...and nobody knows that better than Rogue. Rogue just ALSO knows how to get under Gambit's skin...& is enjoying giving him a hard time for trying to police who she kisses. ;D

Hahaha I love it. Glad that was cleared up

Offline Zoks

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #192 on: January 03, 2018, 03:55:11 PM »
I haven't posted here in a while, but I've been silently lurking while reading up on everything.  I picked this up and I have to say I'm cautiously optimistic about the book.  I am open to accepting that Gambit still holds a torch for Rogue, because guys do tend to have greater difficulty getting over a relationship than ladies.  I also hope this book settles it once and for all whether Gambit and Rogue get back together.

How are his powers and skills portrayed?

We didn't get to see any significant action.  I suspect we'll see something in later issues.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #193 on: January 03, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »

Hahaha I love it. Glad that was cleared up

Me too ;)

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2018, 04:26:10 PM »
Kellys Explanation as to why she wrote gambit the way she did

https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist

"Here's the thing I don't get...and maybe you guys (since I know you have strong feelings about this) can help me out (I thought about posting in the forum, but I think maybe it's a bad idea)...Gambit is in love with Rogue. Period. 1/?

"I see the harbor speech brought up a lot - and with good reason - it's a good speech and a GREAT character moment for Gambit to me - but that speech is not about saying "I"m moving on/I'm not in love with you any more" - that speech is "I am in love with you forever." 2/?

"But that speech is the OPPOSITE of an ultimatum. And seeing it that way HUGELY DIMINSHES Gambit. Like...seeing Gambit as a guy who has to throw down a gauntlet "choose me" Rogue or else! Makes him FAR LESS of a character than the guy that is SO CONFIDENT in who he is..."

".. what he has to offer the world (including Rogue) that he says. "I'm in love with you and I'll be here when you're done doing what you've got to do." The latter is a far more powerful and interesting person than the former. And more fitting to Gambit's growth as a character"