Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148479 times)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #225 on: January 05, 2018, 02:08:58 AM »
Just a reminder for everybody commenting on the timeline of their breakup.  Marvel operates on a compressed timeline, so what has been 10 years for us is probably a year or two for them.

great point. Its why I dislike a few things,  LOL

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #226 on: January 05, 2018, 02:29:08 AM »
I know—I kept editing my post and forgot I left that bit in.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #227 on: January 05, 2018, 08:02:18 AM »
When I mentioned the years or Rogue hooking up with and getting physical with all the males she could, I was referring to what us the fans have had to endure.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #228 on: January 05, 2018, 09:22:57 AM »
I've found myself reluctant to post, anywhere. I like analyzing and talking through points but I find that difficult with this &#$@ cloud overhead as if someone's puppy just thrown off of the rooftop in "Above the Rim" or "Juice"... Which would be traumatizing, and sad, and I don't want to talk about the puppy anymore (I miss you Roscoe...)

But here I go... If we recall it's revealed that Kitty spoke with Gambit first. Seeing as the time basically moved from one scene to the next it's obvious that Kitty's conversation with Gambit occurred before we even see him and Storm together in the Danger Room. Begs to reason that everything following that instance wasn't just him (for goodness sake) "harassing" her but kind of extending an olive branch because he knew they were about to be stuck in close quarters together.

Someone is going to take what I said as some sort of lame excuse. As if some sort of zealot, which cannot be proved by anything I've said outside of someones individual feels. Let me kill that by reiterating that I too wasn't really into the way Gambit was behaving at the mansion and have been saying that since Wednesday and said it personally to KT herself. But taking into account that Gambit had information Rogue didn't, it does explain why he even bothered.

Just a funny observation, if we're calling what he did in this issue harassment, chances are half you probably wouldn't have been born lol. But I get it, it's a cumulative thing. I too found it irksome. But I'm not a pessimist, so there's that. The story moved forward from that point, try not to get stuck on it until you see where it goes. Remember, until like issue 3 we we're pretty ok with DvG, and that was just a poorly written book unlike this.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 09:34:24 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #229 on: January 05, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »
Too long in time for real people, and too short in time for the characters but long enough for change. Gambit has not progressed while Rogue is out having a great time. I will reiterate - Gambit has not progressed.

Lets take time as a factor as pointed out earlier. Even if we say its 1 or 2 years for the characters. Rogue has clearly moved on. Gambit has not and should have, I don't want to read him in the same state as Xmen Legacy.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:11:43 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #230 on: January 05, 2018, 04:20:28 PM »
I'm gonna keep this short... because a line has been crossed that I didn't really expect.. But KT gave us fair warning for what to expect in this issue. With that in mind, I enjoyed it. A lot actually. I do understand that a lot of people may never have had the opportunity to see or hear what KT has told us, and I can understand why they maybe wouldn't come back for a second issue. But for me personally, with the knowledge I have on the book, I'm in for the whole mini.

And the art was great.

And Gambit's actions are being blown way out of proportion.

*Ducks and covers*
Who Dat

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2018, 07:56:06 PM »
I do agree that the dialogue in it wasn’t 90s era level, because of Rogue; before, it was like the back-and -forth of a tennis match—this time, it felt more like someone throwing a tennis ball against a wall.
The more I think about the issue though, the more at peace I’m becoming. I admit, I loved how Perez set up the the Romy moments at the start.

Also, we know tension is on its way, which I’m excited to see.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2018, 11:52:54 PM »
As (maybe?) the only person that said they dialogue was akin to the 90s, I said reminiscent and not an exact copy. For me it had similar shades but with the difference that it seems like Rogue doesn't even feel inclined to maintain the friendship. Sort of like going through the motions instead of the desire of the 90s, if that clears up what I meant when I said, 'reminiscent of the 90s'

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2018, 01:53:49 AM »
So this is the first comic I've bought in... over a year, definitely. Probably two, maybe longer.

I figured I'd just go into it and read with an open mind and no expectations. Doing that, I thought it was pretty interesting, and had some spots that made me chuckle too. The art though, was absolutely stupendous, and definitely made me enjoy it more than I might have otherwise.

I sorta forced myself to get 'over' Romy after the end of X-Treme, when Gambit was essentially gutted as a character and became Racky. I'm really just hoping this series puts a period at the end of everything that came before, so if they do decide to 'start over', it really is that - starting over.

Of course though, with Gambit now being in X-Men Red, (and potentially more as his movie debut finally moves up) who knows what Marvel is going to get up to. Oh well.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #234 on: January 06, 2018, 10:16:55 AM »
I do have a question and I'm really asking .... because I'm not going to do the research to find out. LOL

Did KT say in an interview or on twitter that she was doing a different take on the relationship?

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #235 on: January 06, 2018, 01:03:07 PM »
Finally got around to reading this last night and I ended up really liking it. I'm a Romy fan anyways, so I'm interested to see how the next few issues play out. The art was great (the double page splash with all the bits of their history laid out was really cool) and there were some funny bits (I chuckled quite a bit at Gambit saying 8 people called him about Rogue and Deadpool). I'm also legitimately interested in the actual story with the disappearing mutants.

Gambits actions were weird but I like Don's reasoning for them. I do wish he'd back off with that stuff a little but it's not the creepiest stuff that's ever been in an X-Men book (I think a lot of Fanto's behavior in UXF was worse tbh). I'm personally hoping this mini will help fix some of that behavior - not necessarily to make him more PC but to see him grow a little more as a character.

The only other negative thing I have to say about the book is I wasn't a fan of the scene between Kitty and Rogue. I'm not actually a fan of Kitty in general (I know that's heresy in the x-fandom) but I just thought it was weird how she handled telling Rogue about the mission.

Anyways, I give it 8/10. Not perfect but I think KT has a good thing going. Even if they don't get back together, I hope this mini solves their issues BC I think everyone is sick of that stuff haha

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #236 on: January 06, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »
I wonder who the 8 people were that called Gambit lol
Who Dat

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2018, 02:46:05 PM »
I think it's safe to say one was Deadpool himself haha

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #238 on: January 06, 2018, 03:26:24 PM »
I do have a question and I'm really asking .... because I'm not going to do the research to find out. LOL

Did KT say in an interview or on twitter that she was doing a different take on the relationship?

From everything I have seen and read, I know she has said we're going to go over some old stuff, clear the air, take the dirty laundry to the cleaners, etc.

She's left what will happen after that up in the air, only hinting that they'll return to their 90's teasing days - which there was already a small example of in this issue.

It's also been hinted that if this series sells well it may be able to go beyond a 5 issue mini, so perhaps she has a pitch should the series continue, but most of me is of the belief that she's going to leave them at 'good friends, blank slate' status unless there are some big shakeups in issue 2, or 3 at the latest. I'd hate a legit relationship to be restarted at the end of the last issue, unless the others start obviously leading up to that point.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #239 on: January 06, 2018, 04:08:53 PM »
Okay - Thanks Paradox Jast. That actually helps a little for my view of the book, or why I felt it was "old" as it were.

I guess you gotta start somewhere. Clearing the air would be good, its just so late in doing so that its jarring or at least for me. LOL