Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148513 times)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2018, 06:44:17 PM »
I think it's safe to say one was Deadpool himself haha

LOL for sure!!

8 people Rogue! Eight! INCLUDING Deadpool!
Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #241 on: January 08, 2018, 09:51:47 PM »
I don't watch that guy, but Marvel has systematically wiped their long term couples, I will agree with that.About Gambit 'harassing' rogue because she's clearly not interested... that second part just isn't true. The mini where some are complaining about was not trying to show that. And even before that in other  titles it wasn't true. In UA, she was hitting on fake/ RSgambit, and she told him that. Sure Dugan was only writing that to troll the Gambit fans, but it was still there. In Astonishing, on the astral plane, she didn't turn him down, she said I'm not sure if I can take getting my heart broken again, but ok, then we'll save the day, but then Xavier swiped her away. In the mini, when they wind up on the floor of the danger room, she literally stays there underneath with her arm around him while pixie and Betsy talk about them, when kitty is talking about the mission, she says they need a couple, and rogue says that they are in flux, not over and she's moved on and not interested any more. And again on the beach, she's not sure if they can fix their relationship, not she's not interested.If you don't like that because you think he should be done with her nonsense, fine, that's a valid opinion. But you don't need to agree with the haters that he's being a creep, going after a girl whose not interested. She shown that she's 'interested' but then gets cold feet, not the same thing.

Rogue is a runner by nature. She doesnt stick around when things get real. When I said this to KT, she agreed. Then Xel over at CBR quoted me and said "I'm wrong"... because he's Xel and hes one of those uber fans (Gambit has them too) that believes Rogue cant do wrong and by even suggesting it is an insult. Let's count the ways she's "run"

1. Ran away from home after her powers emerged.
2. Left the Brotherhood following her attack of Ms Marvel
3. Ran from X-Men (1) after absorbing Gambit before/after/during AoA (time man...)

4. Without talking to Gambit regained her powers and tricked him into doing the same during XXM, essentially running from their new life, back to a more uncertain one.
5. Ran from Gambit once gaining control of her powers saying "she wasn't ready"
6. Ran from Gambit after the harbor speech, basically saying to her: "balls in your court". So she bounced to Mags.
7. Ran clear cross the country from Mags
8. Broke it off from Mags when he tried to get serious
9. For the most part, left the X-Men when Xavier died. Only coming back for small stints

Think I got them all...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:49:32 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #242 on: January 08, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »
See? Not running at all! More a strategic retreat...forever >.>
Yeah, she has a history of it. Probably other examples in Uncanny Avengers, not that we need more

I also had to copy your post and enlarge it in word processor haha

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #243 on: January 08, 2018, 11:14:33 PM »
I do have a question and I'm really asking .... because I'm not going to do the research to find out. LOL

Did KT say in an interview or on twitter that she was doing a different take on the relationship?

She did at one point but I presume she meant over the course of the mini.  Although not seeing how this will be different as seems fairly standard romantic comedy type fare at this point.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #244 on: January 08, 2018, 11:51:32 PM »
See? Not running at all! More a strategic retreat...forever >.>
Yeah, she has a history of it. Probably other examples in Uncanny Avengers, not that we need more

I also had to copy your post and enlarge it in word processor haha

Yeah I fixed that... Not sure what happened.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2018, 08:24:30 AM »
I was going to post this in Gambit watch, we seem to be crossing some between that and this thread.

If you are enjoying the book, great. Buy it, buy more than one copy if you can. Give it all the support.

I've done my buy and see thing and this is not the book I wanted nor the Gambit I wanted. The one thing no one can point a book to or choose continuity to address is the complete lack of progression on Gambit's part. He is still doing the same thing he has been doing since being hooked up to Rogue in the 1990s whenever in a book with Rogue, he is always in pursuit. And if you love that, great.

Clearly there is nothing more to Gambit than Rogue.
edit: And Gambit's pursuit of Rogue. It's incredibly disappointing for this fan of Gambit.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:45:49 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #246 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:05 AM »
So that's the line now? Love it or hate it? I think life is so much more than that. I think that kind f thinking can be toxic. I see it a lot in the Rogue threads. Heck, I don't even like the idea of "appreciation" threads where you can only be positive like people need some sort of safe space. I don't think this "in or out" way of thinking is healthy for the fandom. Any fandom. Look what it's done to Star Wars and DC (movies). It's ok to have varying degrees imo. If you're too rigid, you'll snap... I don't want you to snap boss-lady... Be like the water.

;)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #247 on: January 09, 2018, 09:26:32 AM »
I think we have a healthy fandom. We talk about Gambit  failings. It what makes him a great character.  Better than Rogue imo, at least deeper. Writers seem afraid of letting her fall, so they don't and they've conditioned the fans to not be able to accept the idea of her being anything less than "totally awesome". Let's not go down that dark path of tribalism.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #248 on: January 09, 2018, 09:51:25 AM »
I don't think it is tribalism at all.  We all like what we like.  Gambit fans have never tried to tell other fans what they should like.  The conflict comes in the fact that we are being told we shouldn't feel the way we do which I find odd.  There is nothing toxic about not liking something.  It is just personal preference.  The toxicity comes in not just accepting we are different people with different tastes and getting worked up by it.

Not you because you generally have a level head.  But you go to CBR and the minute someone expresses dislike for something, the people that like it are like Vultures circling a corpse.  They sit there trying to preach to you how wrong you are for not liking what they like.  It is almost to the point that it is a mob mentality.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #249 on: January 09, 2018, 09:58:38 AM »
I didn't say "like" I said "love" and "hate". That creates a toxic environment of people taking sides and getting all wrapped in stuff that at the end of day is nonsensical, as I said similarly to what I've seen with star wars and DC fans as they defend their preference.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #250 on: January 09, 2018, 10:18:59 AM »
It is only toxic when people can't accept that we love and hate different things.  Have I ever gone after someone for liking Romy?  Not sure why Romy fans feel the need to try and convert me and it is not my fault if they do.

You can't police other people's preferences.  If I hate a story, I am going to say I hate it and people need to learn to simply accept that.  We can debate the story but you don't see me throwing insults and the like yet there are always the angry Romy fans that resort to name calling and such.

So if it is toxic, that needs to be addressed to the people that make it toxic which is certainly not people like Neko or me as we have never attacked or been disrespectful to others.  We simply don't like a story.  There is no crime in that which requires the kind of animosity it seems to generate particularly on CBR.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #251 on: January 09, 2018, 10:28:05 AM »
@Don - thanks, I won't snap. And I'll do my best to not be rigid as you say, and be more like water.  :D

Next comment is not directed to those here, its an awareness thing:

There is a whiff of "suck it up buttercup" or "be happy Gambit is in something" - the mentality being, if you are a Gambit only fan too bad. That Gambit fans are horrible fans because they don't like anything and complain all the time.  Which leads to further assumptions that its the Gambit's fans fault for whatever reasons, book ending or not getting an ongoing (you know thats coming, right?) and why? For not embracing something they didn't like, despite their favorite being included in a book. The Gambit fan should just spend the money and shut up. It's a depressing thing when you think about it.
Again above comment is not directed to those here.

This pairing is polarizing at best. Either you love them or hate them, those in the middle don't care.

In the end, I think a different approach from the one used might have been better, I dunno, I have no clue where or what the writer was thinking or plans on taking the pairing.  All I know is what is in print is not what I wanted to see, and I know, its on me. :)

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #252 on: January 09, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »
K, I'm only going this about the harassment angle again, not making 'exceptions' for my favorite character. The last two intereaction they had were 1- her hitting on 'him', at work 2- him hitting n her, at work, and her reciprocating. It's hard to argue Gambit thought his attention would 'unwanted' under those circumstances.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #253 on: January 09, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »
K, I'm only going this about the harassment angle again, not making 'exceptions' for my favorite character. The last two intereaction they had were 1- her hitting on 'him', at work 2- him hitting n her, at work, and her reciprocating. It's hard to argue Gambit thought his attention would 'unwanted' under those circumstances.

Not sure what you are referring to.  In AXM, Gambit is trying to convince Rogue to be together and she does not want to.  In R&G, Gambit is on top of Rogue and he says something and he pushes/slaps him away.  Then he comes up behind her and grabs her shoulders and she walks away.  Then on the whole plane ride he is trying to convince her and she keeps giving him reasons why it won't work.

Not sure where in the above Rogue hit on Gambit and getting pushed/slapped as well as a girl walking away when you touch her makes it obvious the attention is unwanted.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 04:36:32 PM by remydat »

Offline Rakkner

• Journeyman
« Reply #254 on: January 09, 2018, 05:02:17 PM »
I don't have any problem with Gambit's actions. Idk why it's getting this much attention in the first place.