Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148460 times)

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #255 on: January 09, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »
I don't have any problem with Gambit's actions. Idk why it's getting this much attention in the first place.

Because for some it's more of the same and seen as regression of the character. Others don't mind. Nobody's right. Everyone has a right to feel the way they want. Both sides are rational... for the most part.
Who Dat

Offline albahan888

• Master Thief
« Reply #256 on: January 10, 2018, 01:38:48 PM »
I think the 'problem' with this series is that even if KT wrote the perfect 5 issues that addressed and fixed all of the recent and not so recent problems with Rogue and Gambit and Romy and got them back together in the perfect way Marvel doesn't care and some of y'all don't care. Jim Zub will put her with the Human Torch or someone else will put her with whoever else because Marvel doesn't seem to care about continuity anymore especially in regards to relationships and some of you just don't like the pairing which is fine. I just miss character continuity and consistency and that hasn't been a thing with Gambit and Rogue since Milligan at least... or at least it's been the wrong sort of consistency.

I mostly just would like to see Gambit be a hero again because he is one. I don't buy Marvel anymore so I don't really have an opinion on the series as such but I'm probably never gonna not be a big Gambit fan so I'd like to see him treated well and not like a bumbling failure thief at least since he's supposed to be one of if not the best one. Just wanted to get some thoughts out there even though like I said I haven't read this and I probably won't be seeing any more about it than spoilers posted here and elsewhere because I don't give Marvel my money anymore.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #257 on: January 10, 2018, 02:14:49 PM »
I hear ya albahan888. I would love for Gambit to be written the way you've described, it would be nice to see again.

And I also agree that no matter what happens that Rogue will be paired with a writer favorite for whatever book she is in and that has been the case for years.

Yes, continuity is hand picked or ignored completely. I don't know why, maybe because there is so much of it? Why not have an editor help with that, they don't have to read everything. Just get up to speed and go, but it seems now that character histories and backgrounds is no longer desired. Writers want to put characters in situations for whatever story idea and run with it.

Glad to see you post. :)

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #258 on: January 10, 2018, 08:18:25 PM »
In the west its all about chasing those dollar signs over anything else, so if that includes ignoring continuity, then so be it. Or maybe they figure there are only so many stories you can tell over so many years?

I think that's why as I got older I shifted more towards eastern manga/manwha, because they consist of a set stable of characters in a story or stories that can persist over the course of a decade or more (obviously based on a number of popularity factors, but that doesn't make it any less true). You gain a sense of understanding and attachment as you learn about the characters.

Nowadays with Marvel comics (and probably DC) its just to see who can throw out the shiniest object at the moment until the next one comes along, with the person polishing the objects getting to decide how much polish to use when buffing.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #259 on: January 10, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »
We are in a post "continuity lite" world. I mean we have a place for that. They were Max titles, graphic novels, and "What If?" The main titles are all about continuity, or should be. It's the whole point of having a universe. I remember someone saying that the new Marvel will be a place where "story trumps continuity". That sounds more like fan fiction to me. But that was said under the old regime. I'm hoping for a new approach.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2018, 03:31:29 PM »
In the west its all about chasing those dollar signs over anything else, so if that includes ignoring continuity, then so be it. Or maybe they figure there are only so many stories you can tell over so many years?

I think that's why as I got older I shifted more towards eastern manga/manwha, because they consist of a set stable of characters in a story or stories that can persist over the course of a decade or more (obviously based on a number of popularity factors, but that doesn't make it any less true). You gain a sense of understanding and attachment as you learn about the characters.

Nowadays with Marvel comics (and probably DC) its just to see who can throw out the shiniest object at the moment until the next one comes along, with the person polishing the objects getting to decide how much polish to use when buffing.

Agree on manga/manwha.  Just better storytelling with a focus on the characters.  Of course, that is a bit easier because it is usually one writer so it's a singular vision but it seems Marvel no longer knows how to tell a coherent story across all the writers it now employs.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline M

• X-Man
« Reply #261 on: January 12, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »
OKayz, I guess I missed this drop...

alot of this is just about issue 1 of a mini series? right? right?

Also KT as the author has and should be a questionable choice...

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #262 on: January 12, 2018, 08:12:04 AM »
OKayz, I guess I missed this drop...

alot of this is just about issue 1 of a mini series? right? right?

Also KT as the author has and should be a questionable choice...

heh heh, all about issue 1, 4 more issues to go.

I agree about KT as a questionable choice, especially based on her prior or other projects with Marvel.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2018, 09:16:28 AM »
heh heh, all about issue 1, 4 more issues to go.

I agree about KT as a questionable choice, especially based on her prior or other projects with Marvel.

Hawkeye? What else did she do with Marvel? The only concern I had/have with her was how much of a self proclaimed Rogue fan she was. She hardly ever brought up Gambit prior to the books announcement. So to be writing both made me a bit apprehensive. So far, it's ok. I don't think we've seen the Lions share of what she has in store but if the rest of the run is exactly like the first issue in terms of her handling of Gambit, then we might have a problem. But I argue that Gambit in the beginning of the book is different than at the end. I think the same will carry on through out the mini. I hope at least.

However, she did beat me in a small discussion involving issue numbering. At the very least she's knowledgeable of early 90s Gambit lore. I think I was out of my depth. I'm sure Dantay would have taken her ;)

Oh right, she did A-Force! Wasn't a big fan of that but I'm sure I wasn't the target audience for that. I guess if we're concerned about equal time, it's more likely she'd lean towards the female role. But that might be more Marvel's old practice of making writers write only characters they have something in common with. Women write women books, Muslims write Muslim characters, Black people write black characters. It's pretty dumb. I see the cause for concern better... But issue 1 was ok with me for the most part.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:24:51 AM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2018, 10:22:29 AM »

But issue 1 was ok with me for the most part.

Same here, which is saying something because I was nervous about the book when it was first announced.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »
Don't know about her comic book work but I was concerned regarding her reviews particularly of the Asmus solo.  I could tell that her vision for Gambit wasn't necessarily the same as mine as she was very critical of the premise of the book claiming it was treading the same ground.  This was incredibly odd at the time as we were coming off of Racky LeBeau so it really was ground that needed to be tread.  As the below illustrates, her reviews of the solo were consistently lower than a lot of the other reviews.  I remember at the time wondering if she was reading a different book than I was.

https://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics/gambit/1 

Now looking back, it seems her love of Rogue and Romy impacted how she viewed the book.  It is interesting she was concerned about the solo treading the same ground yet that is exactly what she is doing in her mini.  Guess it is ok to tread the same ground when that ground involves Rogue.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 11:11:19 AM by remydat »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2018, 11:47:26 AM »
Good find, remydat. I didn't read all of her reviews (mostly just looked at the first and last), but I definitely had some disagreements with her (especially around her critique's of Mann's art). I did agree with her initial statement that Asmus had a good handle on Gambit's voice, which I always think is important for him.

I disagreed with her final statement in the last review about how Asmus and Mann didn't "pull [the series] together". IMO, it had some rocky parts but it was a fun book and probably my favorite of Gambit's solo series.

Idk. I need to read more of these, but it kinda makes me nervous

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #267 on: January 12, 2018, 11:50:39 AM »
I don't feel like quoting, you know who you are. LMAO

I was concerned for Gambit under her pen because her prior work is female oriented. Which is fine if that is what Marvel wants to do for those books she was given. However, in addition to that slant, she's also listing herself as a feminist on her twitter. So ..... I question equality for the sexes because of her lean and her prior history with the books. I do not expect Gambit to be treated fairly. It will be about how great Rogue will look and whatnot.

I am also in agreement that her reviews of the Asmus solo were particularly harsh and without merit. Clearly only certain people can retread ground while others can't. But she is doing exactly as she complained about with Asmus book, same old ground only she is the writer and that makes it okay. The concern really is ... Gambit is only a love interest and nothing more.

My expectations are low, Rogue will be the precious princess and Gambit will be the scumbag. I want the cycle to end, I don't know why that is so hard for Marvel to do.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #268 on: January 12, 2018, 11:56:18 AM »
This also illustrates an interesting point.  The internet never forgets, lol.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #269 on: January 12, 2018, 12:16:02 PM »
And once its out there, you can't take it back. You can delete but  some will remember anyway.  LOL