Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148475 times)

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #270 on: January 12, 2018, 01:10:40 PM »
I want the cycle to end, I don't know why that is so hard for Marvel to do.

My guess is for reasons similar to why they're pushing a Black Widow movie: there's a huge feminist movement right now. If they give Rogue, who they've been pushing as the leader of the Avengers, any kind of faults and put Gambit, a known womanizer, in the right, people will see Marvel as sexist. Not that that's what would actually happen. But I could see Marvel thinking it would

Offline M

• X-Man
« Reply #271 on: January 12, 2018, 03:19:17 PM »
lolz I guess I need to buy this ASAP.... If just for the hype now.

ROMY gotchya' like....  :crazy2: :gambit: :laugh: :P :gambit:

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #272 on: January 14, 2018, 01:38:45 AM »
I don't think it's quite that simple as she admitted to me that she wasn't a fan of XXM either. I think she's in search of a specific theme outside of what we've seen so far in large quantities, anyway. I'm not going to swear by her or anything like that, but hey, at least I got something to read and talk about.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #273 on: January 15, 2018, 10:04:44 AM »
I haven't listened yet, but Kelly Thompson was interviewed on Battle of the Atom about R&G: http://www.xavierfiles.com/2018/01/15/battle-atom-episode-24-kelly-thompson-20-year-grudge-lila-cheney/

Offline andresa

• Survivor
« Reply #274 on: January 15, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »
Just finished listening. There’s nothing really new if you follow her on tumblr and twitter tbh except for the “classic x-men meets eternal sunshine of the spotless mind” comment around 28 min.

You know, she's always struck me as a Rogue fan who happens to be also a Gambit fan and listening to this just reinforced this image.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #275 on: January 15, 2018, 01:15:54 PM »
On point way of looking at it. I'd say pretty much the same. It is very much everything she's said but for those who haven't bothered it's a good way of getting to see her standpoint. Not a bad podcast, bit too hipster-stereotypical for my taste ("one true Wolverine" "one true Hawkeye", statements referring to Laura and Kate). The other host needs to adjust his low end and mids... That or take the mic out of his mouth.

However she did address her review of the Asmus Gambit series. Basically saying she was too judgemental of it after going back and re-reading the series and her subsequent reviews of it. That was able to better understand what was going on now that she was in the business now. So there's that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 01:25:01 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2018, 01:46:50 PM »
Not a bad podcast, bit too hipster-stereotypical for my taste ("one true Wolverine" "one true Hawkeye", statements referring to Laura and Kate). The other host needs to adjust his low end and mids... That or take the mic out of his mouth.

Yeah, Jenkins especially can be super polarizing about his opinions (well, the same can be said for Jay and Miles which is why I can only listen to them in small doses).

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »
Just finished listening. There’s nothing really new if you follow her on tumblr and twitter tbh except for the “classic x-men meets eternal sunshine of the spotless mind” comment around 28 min.

You know, she's always struck me as a Rogue fan who happens to be also a Gambit fan and listening to this just reinforced this image.

I got that feeling early on though, and without this podcast. Based on her statements and her "leans" and projects she's been given, had already lead me to believe that it would be Rogue first as it were.

On point way of looking at it. I'd say pretty much the same. It is very much everything she's said but for those who haven't bothered it's a good way of getting to see her standpoint. Not a bad podcast, bit too hipster-stereotypical for my taste ("one true Wolverine" "one true Hawkeye", statements referring to Laura and Kate). The other host needs to adjust his low end and mids... That or take the mic out of his mouth.

However she did address her review of the Asmus Gambit series. Basically saying she was too judgemental of it after going back and re-reading the series and her subsequent reviews of it. That was able to better understand what was going on now that she was in the business now. So there's that.

Sure, she can say that now but damage was already done and the solo is gone. We knew she was being too judgemental and saying she was now because of being in the industry doesn't really help.  She has perspective now, I suppose that is nice. Her mind was closed back then, how open is it now? Just a thought.

She will most likely make this book more about Rogue and Gambit being a romantic interest (or Rogue's purse, however you want to look at it) not being an equal in the book. And those comments are valid.

My expectation is low. I'll buy the next issue but she has said nothing to convince me that this will be good for Gambit, in general.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 03:39:25 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
I'm just going to wait and see what she does.

Her mention of Eternal Sunshine has given me an idea that their memories of their relationship are going to ultimately be erased, causing them to go back into infatuation mode, a la the couple they met. If that''s the way it's going, that was similar to a plotbunny I had for a fic awhile back.

And by the way, I'm so sick of hearing the same complaints about Remy either being 90s cliches rolled into one or what "an 11-year-old would think was cool". Nobody ever seems to elaborate on what exactly that last one *means*. And even if that's so, isn't that true of most superheroes?
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »

And by the way, I'm so sick of hearing the same complaints about Remy either being 90s cliches rolled into one or what "an 11-year-old would think was cool". Nobody ever seems to elaborate on what exactly that last one *means*. And even if that's so, isn't that true of most superheroes?

Ha, that's a really good point (I mean, just look at Shazam/Cap Marvel). So sick of hearing that criticism.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #280 on: January 15, 2018, 05:59:32 PM »
Not to mention, that XTAS Gambit and comic book Gambit have little in common in terms of personality. So the version people talk about doesn't really exist. And the whole "creepy" thing is head canon as he hasn't been romantically connected with ANY OTHER CHARACTERS outside of his ex-wife and Rogue.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #281 on: January 15, 2018, 06:01:38 PM »
I got that feeling early on though, and without this podcast. Based on her statements and her "leans" and projects she's been given, had already lead me to believe that it would be Rogue first as it were.

Sure, she can say that now but damage was already done and the solo is gone. We knew she was being too judgemental and saying she was now because of being in the industry doesn't really help.  She has perspective now, I suppose that is nice. Her mind was closed back then, how open is it now? Just a thought.

She will most likely make this book more about Rogue and Gambit being a romantic interest (or Rogue's purse, however you want to look at it) not being an equal in the book. And those comments are valid.

My expectation is low. I'll buy the next issue but she has said nothing to convince me that this will be good for Gambit, in general.

I... I was just talking about the podcast. Just added that to reflect "new" developments as most of what she spoke of was retread. I'm kinda done "advocating" at this point.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #282 on: January 15, 2018, 06:42:11 PM »

I... I was just talking about the podcast. Just added that to reflect "new" developments as most of what she spoke of was retread. I'm kinda done "advocating" at this point.

All good, I'm done in general. Wait til next issue and see how it goes. :)
Apologies if I offended in anyway. 

edit:
Look .... I will say again. If this book is your thing and you enjoy it. BUY IT. It really is that easy, don't let anyone here sway you in either direction. You love it, buy it. :)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:23:33 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #283 on: January 15, 2018, 06:57:25 PM »

I would say she is like Rogue's BFF and Gambit just happens to be the boyfriend that she gets along with.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #284 on: January 15, 2018, 06:59:21 PM »

Well at least she recognizes it now as yeah back then I remember thinking she was reading a completely different series than I was.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"