Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148543 times)

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #315 on: January 20, 2018, 09:46:08 PM »
With her and Rosenberg, they are probably cheaper than signing a Bendis to an exclusive deal and hopefully they introduce some consistency and continuity across the X-books.  That is where the X-men have fallen off.  There are so many different writers and editorial just lets them write damn near anything they want continuity be damned. 

Personally if I were any comic book company, I would want to have a stable of exclusives whose focus is on my sh*t and my sh*t alone as it helps to ensure the writers are invested in these characters as well rather than just the paycheck.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #316 on: January 21, 2018, 12:12:56 AM »
Well how I see it, supporting continuity helps encourage readers to venture outside of the book their reading to explore other titles and even dip in back issues and trades. Once everything is basically a one-off story, then you hurt return reader/customer opportunities. Essentially kneecapping sales.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #317 on: January 21, 2018, 08:08:10 AM »
Well how I see it, supporting continuity helps encourage readers to venture outside of the book their reading to explore other titles and even dip in back issues and trades. Once everything is basically a one-off story, then you hurt return reader/customer opportunities. Essentially kneecapping sales.

That's a really great way of looking at it
Who Dat

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #318 on: January 21, 2018, 01:11:19 PM »
Alright - now that I've given this a ton of thought.

Lets recognize that the Gambit fan base is not a united fanbase. They have their likes and dislikes and are not all in on everything Gambit.

Those Gambit fans who romy will have praise for this book because love interest Gambit is important to them.

Those Gambit fans who don't romy, will not be fond of this book because they are not interested in the relationship.

Which means, things that don't bother the romys will bother the non romys, which is also true in reverse.

I hope that makes sense. It's not a united group and never will be. The divide has been around for a long time.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 01:38:42 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #319 on: January 22, 2018, 03:51:57 PM »
Alright - now that I've given this a ton of thought.

Lets recognize that the Gambit fan base is not a united fanbase. They have their likes and dislikes and are not all in on everything Gambit.

Those Gambit fans who romy will have praise for this book because love interest Gambit is important to them.

Those Gambit fans who don't romy, will not be fond of this book because they are not interested in the relationship.

Which means, things that don't bother the romys will bother the non romys, which is also true in reverse.

I hope that makes sense. It's not a united group and never will be. The divide has been around for a long time.

Holy-random-post, boss  ;D ! Feel like I missed a post somewhere..? Either way, I don't fit into either of those categories. I couldn't care less if Gambit has a love interest or not, but the relationship with Rogue doesn't repulse me either. As long as it's done in a interesting, skillful way, which has been done in the past (like twice or thrice). The abhorrence for it seems to come more from the character he's being attached to than what actually happens (well I guess what happens in response to her presence). That coupled with how he's been portrayed around her in team books (because I thought his interactions with her in the Mackie, Asmus and Fabian books were fine. Didn't think Claremont was an issue either in XXM.) creates a really bad look for him more oft than not. Just my view.

I will say every interaction they've had in a team book following XXM has been horrid. But that does make sense... When Gambit is written by someone that wants to write him its typically been in a solo. The author likes the characters and puts his best foot forward when dealing with issues. In a team book it's a crap shoot. I'd believe that more authors are interested in writing X-Men and Gambit just happens to be there. They may not "dislike" Gambit, but they have seemed to have more interest in Rogue, and as we've seen recently, pairing her with their favorite mouthpiece, avatar, character. It may simply go back to writers not being as good as they think they are. They should be able to at least mask their preference, but more times than not, they are obvious. Heck, even when she's not around. Willow G is the one that wrote Gambit at Burning Man (wearing clown pants) and Rogue was nowhere to be found at the time. I believe she used the word "skeevy". I think we're in for an uphill battle no matter what. Gambit's in Red. Doesn't mean he's going to be the Ragin' Cajun I want. I cant think of anyone on that team I'd honestly expect him to have more panel time than. Because he's been so under utilized I suspect he'll be far from top-billing anywhere he goes unless a creator deliberately pulls him for use. He didn't even make the books debut cover...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:02:00 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #320 on: January 22, 2018, 05:50:37 PM »
I thought he didn't make the cover for Red because he joins later in the series?  Could be wrong.

What gives me a small sliver of hope for Red is the fact there are younger mutants there.  I think Gambit stands a better chance of being written well when there is less opportunity for drama and less chance of that with younger characters.  In addition, his swagger, carefree attitude, etc. comes off as endearing and playful for a younger character rather than immature and pervy for an adult.  He is after all a personification of what a 90s kid thought was cool.  I think that is why his relationship with Storm always worked and why his relationship with Laura worked.  There was something about him from the perspective of a kid/teenager that was more authentic than what they generally heard from adults.

I think that is also why a lot of writers don't like him.  If you came to Gambit as a kid then you identified with him because he represents what a kid thinks is cool about an adult.  For people that came to him when they were already adults, I don't think they quite grasp the appeal and consider him superficial and immature.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:54:24 PM by remydat »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #321 on: January 22, 2018, 07:07:51 PM »
 *chuckles* at Don. Its not a random post as its a response but I didn't feel like quoting nor did I want to create a huge debate but wanted to say what I thought without it coming across argumentative. The whole community thing and and how the book is seen thing – the like of it and praise of the book. It is all opinion after all. LOL

Its a small point – that was missed, and I'll not quote but paraphrase - “Gambit fans in other communities liked R&G”.

Other communities – well, there aren't a lot of them so its not hard to guess where they are. Liking this book, you'd have to romy to like this book. “Those” Gambit fans liked this issue and will most likely enjoy the story.

This place is not the be all and end all of Gambit fans nor is the other communities. The view is unique as each individual is unique. Fans like Gambit with their own bias, its not defined or exclusive. None of it has impact on the writer. NONE of it.

Not all Gambit fans think the same is my point. Remydat and I will always be in the camp we are in (didn't mean to drag you in bro - but its true), we don't like Rogue, and we don't romy. Whereas I can list others who enjoy romy and see value in it and all of it. Nothing wrong with it either.

Its an understanding that its more complex, more diverse, more divided and there is nothing wrong with any of it. None of it has anything to do with the fiscal part for KT, she is getting paid regardless.

@Remydat – I hold hope for Xmen Red because I want a better Gambit then we're getting. You may be right on how people see Gambit based on when they encountered him.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:25:54 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #322 on: January 22, 2018, 07:14:33 PM »
He does join later but a variant wouldn't have hurt if he is indeed part of the book beyond an appearance. It's not like Marvel cares about time and sense. They debuted that cover before Jean was even alive. I would think Tom has the track in place that leads to Gambits debut by the end of the book. Hey, they put Mystique on the cover of Astonishing before she was introduced to be Beast (still don't understand that entire concept).

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #323 on: January 22, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »

R+G #2
Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #324 on: January 22, 2018, 07:36:19 PM »
Pleasantly surprised how much art talent Marvel's been throwing around lately. Got use to a lot lower standard.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #325 on: January 22, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »

Don,

I guess I don't mind as much since he got his own cover in 3.

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #326 on: January 22, 2018, 11:26:20 PM »
I guess I fall into the "I'll read Gambit any way I can get him." camp.

Well, minus Racky. But then, Racky isn't -really- Gambit, so it's okay.

*deep breath* Yes, it's okay.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #327 on: January 23, 2018, 01:58:12 AM »
Pleasantly surprised how much art talent Marvel's been throwing around lately. Got use to a lot lower standard.

Yeah. Overall artists at x books are better now.

Offline Luna Croft

• Gambler
« Reply #328 on: January 23, 2018, 06:47:53 AM »
I definitely fall into the 'I will read aything with a panel of Gambit' camp.  And, I have enjoyed Rogue and Gambit, although I am not a fan of Rogue x Gambit.  That is also the reason why I wish he wasn't pushing Rogue so hard, but eh, I already know my hopes of them staying apart is unlikely.  I'll get over it if it means the success of this mini-series gets me more Gambit down the line. 

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #329 on: January 23, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »
I bailed on the anything with Gambit in it after Xmen Legacy. Carey knew the character and could talk the talk about him but his interviews and knowledge never translated well for Gambit in the book. Which is why I'm not bothering with writers and their words anymore.

I bought up to issue 5 of Astonishing Xmen for Gambit and then dropped the book. I still haven't read 4 or 5 of the series, I've read enough reviews to know that Gambit is useless in the book. Not going to spend money on useless Gambit.

I went all in for All New X-Factor - despite the writer losing interest in Gambit by issue #5, then that writer blames the character and not his own work for the books demise.

I'm buying this book and giving it a shot, and the art is nice. Kudos on that, but creepy Gambit is not a good Gambit. It's hard to overlook if you don't romy.