Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148567 times)

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #375 on: February 07, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »

There is plenty that should be addressed, saying they feel better or lighter despite not really talking about the stuff that is in their baggage won't be good enough to clear the air between them. IMO.

That also. I hope this isn’t the end of them discussing things though....
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:44:17 PM by Nekobaghira »
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #376 on: February 07, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »
It seems like we will not get anything that is cathartic for the readers and that the 'feeling lighter' will probably have something to do with what the villain is doing but I could be wrong.

As far as "y'all" goes, while it is 'you all' shortened, the few people I've met from Mississippi used it as singular and plural. Could be regional but they did grow up in the Nashville area.

Edit: I meant Tennessee, not Mississippi. A sleep addled brain is not the keenest haha
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:34:11 PM by Meliorist »

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #377 on: February 07, 2018, 07:31:10 PM »
It seems like we will not get anything that is cathartic for the readers and that the 'feeling lighter' will probably have something to do with what the villain is doing but I could be wrong.

As far as "y'all" goes, while it is 'you all' shortened, the few people I've met from Mississippi used it as singular and plural. Could be regional but they did grow up in the Nashville area.

No, we probably aren't getting actual catharsis--damn.

Didn't know that it's used singularly--everyone in the Carolinas (that I've heard anyway) says it plural. Interesting.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline dieCG

• Guild Initiate
« Reply #378 on: February 07, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »

Didn't know that it's used singularly--everyone in the Carolinas (that I've heard anyway) says it plural. Interesting.

Y'all is also used singularly in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Not quite deep south. But there are places that do it. Yay for English vernacular! 

Offline wantutosigh

• X-Man Leader
« Reply #379 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:35 PM »
Wow. I have to say i thought this issue was really good. I thought Gambit was actually done really well and even Rogue showed some likability. I think this is definitely going to go a bit deeper with them. They only covered the first meeting(which I really liked) and with three issues left I doubt they're just going to leave it on these warm feelings. Who knows how deep they'll go but for the first time in a long time Gambit and Rogue were fun to read again. Again, I thought Gambit was handled well and I didn't think that was going to be the case after the first issue.

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #380 on: February 07, 2018, 11:09:51 PM »
Definitely better than the first issue.

I was actually surprised when reading when Gambit actually pushed on a point or two... and Rogue actually *gasp* agreed! Didn't run, didn't get into a messy blow-up, she actually agreed but gave legit reasons as to why she didn't like it.

Now for the last few issues we'll see how this plays out of course, will it be a 'two steps forward, one step back' deal, or a 'one step forward, two steps back'? I guess we will have to wait and see.

Oh, art was really good too. Thought it was amusing too, the first panels of the 'flashbacks' also emulated the art style of the time. That was rather impressive. Same thing happened with the 'image bubbles' as well.

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #381 on: February 08, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
I’m really liking it so far and yeah #2 is better than #1. We’ll have to see if #3 can keep up the pace.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #382 on: February 09, 2018, 10:07:58 AM »
Got around to reading this last night. Really really enjoyed it. Just wanted to echo a couple points:

Really hoping that this isn't the end of them talking through things (although I have a feeling it won't be since this is only issue 2).

Just to build off of remydat's comment about their first meeting: I liked the juxtaposition of their memories of their first meeting. Felt like a good distillation of how they view their relationship. Gambit's, even though they weren't in their right minds, seemed to be more about passion and, of course, ended with a kiss. Rogue's was a little more personal but it just had to end with her leaving Gambit high-and-dry to go talk to the professor about her powers. Basically, they both need to take a step back from their relationship for different reasons to see why their view of their relationship is flawed.

Art was fantastic. Loved the splash page of their therapy. I really like how KT has a foot in nostalgia while still moving the story and their relationship forward.

And I live in the midwest and we all use "Y'all" interchangeably for singular or plural, but I could see it varying depending on what part of the region one is from

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #383 on: February 10, 2018, 03:58:51 PM »
I did notice the dreaded third person speech. I tried not to say anything about it, at least it wasn't constant and only occurred once.

haha...I noticed both their heavier accents or old traits were only in the flashback scenes. The accents were toned down in the present. :) I think KT did that on purpose.

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #384 on: February 10, 2018, 04:13:54 PM »
Also, if you hop onto KT's blog, she answers a question about the Magneto situation. She says it'll be addressed in #3, where Rogue explains her past decisions, but it won't be a focal point, she explains it better in her blog...
It really only needs a panel or 2 for it to be addressed, nothing more. If half the issue was based on the Magneto stuff, it'll end up sucking the fun out of the book and derail the audience (especially new readers).

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #385 on: February 10, 2018, 10:00:03 PM »
Also, if you hop onto KT's blog, she answers a question about the Magneto situation. She says it'll be addressed in #3, where Rogue explains her past decisions, but it won't be a focal point, she explains it better in her blog...
It really only needs a panel or 2 for it to be addressed, nothing more. If half the issue was based on the Magneto stuff, it'll end up sucking the fun out of the book and derail the audience (especially new readers).

I'm interested to see how that plays out. Personally, I never understood that relationship - and I say this with my Romy hat off

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #386 on: February 11, 2018, 08:12:28 PM »
Well, aside from the obvious fact that mags has became the self insert for middle aged males, fans and writers, there's...wait...there's nothing else.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #387 on: February 12, 2018, 09:28:18 AM »
Oh god, I hadn't even considered that. It makes it much weirder haha

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #388 on: February 12, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »
That sounds very interesting. I'm glad someone has the chops to make sense out of all that.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #389 on: February 13, 2018, 01:58:27 AM »
Well, aside from the obvious fact that mags has became the self insert for middle aged males, fans and writers, there's...wait...there's nothing else.

Interestingly I get a similar vibe from KT just Rogue is the insert for her affection for Gambit. Esp how she shuts down any discussion of Gambit in other ships...

Also explains her express dislike for Joelle
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 02:03:22 AM by AeroSennin »