Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148490 times)

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #450 on: February 20, 2018, 03:51:05 PM »
Hey... lets get something straight... Gambit's the most non-woman getting ladiesman, womanizer-whatever in the history of whatevers. Don't go doing Marvel's job for them and scratch notches on his lonely headboard.  :idiot2:

Hehe well atleast with non flatscans..... hehe. There he has a reasonable body count in recent times including a 4 some a 3 some with mystiek....., Joelle is inplied, another mans wife which ended up with him being left behind and tortured (he really should have been a bit more careful) , i don't buy Snows acceptance and a slapdown... he did turn down danger though...

I am also playing a bit of devils advocate here. Remy has avoided bing a douche despite many people attempt to paint him with that brush. I just worry that he treads in a grey space and on a tight rope of morality. In this era of backlash it is easy ro get discarded after an unintentional miss step.

It is why KT has been a breath of fresh air. She has also moved him back a bit onto the linr and away from the douche bag remy other authers have been pressing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:58:45 PM by AeroSennin »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #451 on: February 20, 2018, 04:09:48 PM »
Well I am not sure having him push Rogue about a relationship incessantly and then following her around to beg some more when she leaves him is putting him on the right path.  That is more problematic than consensual hookups.  You just feel differently about it because of nostalgia but it is creepy in its own way.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline AeroSennin

• Thief
« Reply #452 on: February 20, 2018, 04:31:18 PM »
Well I am not sure having him push Rogue about a relationship incessantly and then following her around to beg some more when she leaves him is putting him on the right path.  That is more problematic than consensual hookups.  You just feel differently about it because of nostalgia but it is creepy in its own way.

To be fair if we choose to oversimplify and drive agendas we can drive busses though wach orhers plot holes :).

I know you dislike Romy so you gravitate to a set view on it to help the argument and you are hard harlining grey areas to create a sweeping argument at one point oushing a #me too sexual harrasment argument. One i never saw you apply to Polaris. But really running into casual hookups acts as a regression and makes him easier as a target given his history and power set. Showing him as commoted the flip side to that argumemt has a more positive apin. But given the subjectiveness of human emotions it is open to being twisted repeatedly to suit a set view. I am probably guilty of this too.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #453 on: February 20, 2018, 06:11:01 PM »
Not sure why I would push it with Polaris when it was one kiss, she punched him and that was the end of it.  Having said that, sure if Polaris had gone to Snow and claimed sexual harassment then she would be correct in making that charge because it was an unwanted advance.  However, that is still much different than REPEATEDLY begging Rogue and REPEATEDLY being rebuffed.  Not sure why this would confuse anyone.

As for casual hookups, Wolverine and probably a few other characters have hooked up far more than Gambit in the books so don't think casual hookups have an impact on the character one way or another.  Again that is just your personal preference.
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #454 on: February 20, 2018, 09:46:02 PM »
Gambit definitely assaulted her face with his mouth. But he's done that several times at this point. Cassandra, Danger, I think some background art...
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline pastella

• X-Man Mentor
    • pastellarts
« Reply #455 on: February 22, 2018, 03:22:35 PM »

ROGUE & GAMBIT #5 (OF 5)
KELLY THOMPSON (W) PERE PEREZ (A)
  • Cover by KRIS ANKA
  • It’s ROGUE and GAMBIT vs. LAVISH for all the marbles (nobody cares about marbles anymore, but it’s still a great saying, just go with it)! The stakes in Paraíso couldn’t be higher — the fates of innocent mutants, Rogue and Gambit, AND the hottest relationship in the Marvel Universe — all hang in the balance! Does being together make Rogue & Gambit unstoppable? Or does it doom their mission and everyone they’re trying to save? When the dust settles WHO and WHAT will be left standing?
  • 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Art is hard, life is harder

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #456 on: February 22, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »
Soooo... another cover of them kissing. That's what, the fourth or fifth one now? Any other Marvel 'couple but not-really-a-couple' pairing ever have that many kissing covers?

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #457 on: February 22, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »
Actually it is only 2nd Romy cover that I remeber with kiss. I am cool with it
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:25:11 PM by purplevit »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #458 on: February 22, 2018, 04:23:40 PM »
Actuallly it is only 2nd Romy cover that I remeber with kiss. I am cool with it

You're right afaik. In the others they're close, but this is only the second with them locking lips.

Offline Ludi

• Mark
  • I write Romy fic. Amongst other things.
    • Ludi's Tumblr
« Reply #459 on: February 22, 2018, 04:48:44 PM »
Well, someone's officially excited at least.   :D

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #460 on: February 22, 2018, 05:04:46 PM »
Well, someone's officially excited at least.   :D

Same here!

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #461 on: February 22, 2018, 07:22:53 PM »

Gambit #16 and now R&G #5 are the only 616 covers I can think of...

But there's also Ultimate X-Men #53
Gambit #10 (Nicieza) where the kiss isn't prominent on the cover and it's an alternate future version of them.
...and also the back cover of X-Men Annual 1997, also a strange alternate version of them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:27:57 PM by Sparta »

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #462 on: February 22, 2018, 08:55:54 PM »
Ok, yeah - some are actually 'really close', but not actual kisses. I probably should have stated it as 'kisses and could become a kiss at any moment'.

I can't seem to get the images to work, but there is X-Men 24, Gambit 16, X-Men'92 002, Uncanny Avengers 5, X-Men Legacy 224, X-Men 204, and Rogue 5...

For something that never seems to stick with Marvel - it suuuuure is has been used quite a lot over the years. It's like the ultimate bait-and-switch that's been going on since I started reading comics and watching XTAS, 1992/3-ish, when I was barely 10 years old. I don't recall it being done like this with any two other characters over such a long period of time. (Especially considering the compressed timescale). Could be wrong, but as I've been a Gambit fan before anything else, it was always something that stuck with me. Now we'll get another one.

I was a Romy fan for easily a decade, maybe 15 years. Then I gave up.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #463 on: February 23, 2018, 09:50:10 AM »
I feel ya, Jast. I'm still a Romy fan but I think that's due in part to them being 2 of my favorite heroes. It'll be interesting to see what happens at the end of this book, but I have a hunch it'll be another bait-and-switch haha

Offline Toadman005

• Horseman
« Reply #464 on: February 23, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
Hey... lets get something straight... Gambit's the most non-woman getting ladiesman, womanizer-whatever in the history of whatevers. Don't go doing Marvel's job for them and scratch notches on his lonely headboard.  :idiot2:

You ain't kidding'.

I know they're playing off his cliche stereotype, as he was meant to be the stud beefcake when introduced, the tall, dark, handsome, mysterious and dangerous loner bad boy, and his name literally translates into "The Beautiful", but in the last decade, I dunno which has happened more...him getting his ass kicked or him getting rejected cucked.

The absolute worst behind Rogue living him for Magneto's old, grey bush is when he got shot down by two chicks at Burning Man. Jesus Christ.
\"Say, do you hear that? It\'s the sound of the Reaper...\"