Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 151899 times)

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #495 on: March 07, 2018, 06:12:28 PM »
I get that. And as dissatisfied as I am with the explanation, I also get that, short of retconning, there isn't a good explanation for what happened there. Same goes for a lot of other bad plots and characterizations they've gone through.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #496 on: March 07, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »
She's really stringing it all together nicely. In a mini no less. It's pretty incredible work on KT's part.

Who Dat

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #497 on: March 07, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
This issue was like the polar opposite of the legacy issue before the schism split. I'm surprised it took so long to get an issue like this. Cyclops and Beast have had more intimate scenes than Gambit. Profound sadness.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #498 on: March 07, 2018, 07:01:41 PM »
Amidst all the dialogue.. I'm really curious about all the clones and how it's effecting their memory. Should be a real interesting final two issues. It feels like there's so much left to cover. Amazing she's fitting everything into these five issues.
Who Dat

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #499 on: March 07, 2018, 07:15:22 PM »
I think there is more to the villain and the memories, she seems to feed off of them, hence the people in the dementia and stuff.

Kind of like Shadowking but not.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #500 on: March 07, 2018, 07:25:36 PM »
I wonder why KT chose to use an original character opposed to a more established one. But I suppose sheds need a specific set of powers to make the plot work.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Paradox Jast

• X-Man Teacher
    • Jasticus on Fanfiction.net
« Reply #501 on: March 07, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »
You know how some music artists have that one hit that you hear over and over, then never hear from them again? Everyone knows the 'One Hit Wonder'.

Now we need to apply the same thing for villains in a comic series or mini. Kinda like a 'One Arc Wonder'. Come in, do their dastardly thing, then you never hear or see from them again. Unless its someone reminiscing.

But yeah, otherwise, solid props for this issue. Can't help but wonder with all the good feels going on, if it is going to continue beyond the therapy, or if reality will come crashing down around them when they leave. (AKA when another writer gets them again)

Offline wantutosigh

• Outcast
« Reply #502 on: March 07, 2018, 09:42:51 PM »
Unfortunately, snowy weather prevented me from being able to make the trip to the local comic store so I'll have to wait before I can read this. :tickedoff:

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2018, 10:13:14 AM »
Since my comic book was down to just about zero before this, I got a digital copy y and picked up the floppy later.

I think she probably did the best she could with the legacy situation. I'm actually a little happy she never mentioned mags by name, showing he really wasn't important *slight evil giggle*. Being that one was terrible all around, don't dwell on it too much...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:18:12 AM by anya »

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #504 on: March 08, 2018, 10:42:35 AM »
I wonder why KT chose to use an original character opposed to a more established one. But I suppose sheds need a specific set of powers to make the plot work.

I am happy that villain is new. Gambit needs bigger gallery of villains.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2018, 05:59:27 PM »
So help me, I really enjoyed this issue. I think I might be falling back in love with these two. And that kind of makes me angry.

But that "someone else" speech bothers me. We all know she meant Erik and if it were anyone else but him, I'd be 100 percent on her side.

But I do like that KT addressed it, even if I disagree with it.

Other stuff I liked:
the recognition of Antarctica on their relationship
Romy sex!
The fight with the Romy clones though too obvious in its symbolism was still a lot of fun

Yep that vague reference to sleeping with the dude that helped cause Antarctica which Rogue just said ruined Romy just doesn't work for me.  Not sure why KT couldn't just have Rogue say, "I f**ked up and shouldn't have slept with Mags."  Pretty simple really.  It doesn't need an explanation.  All it needed was an acknowledgment that she messed up.  Instead we get Rogue trying to excuse Mags as her wanting to explore.  It would like someone trying to justify sleeping with their girlfriend's sister as "I just wanted to explore." GTFOH.  You go exploring with people that didn't ruin your relationship. 

It is especially odd because KT had Rogue take responsibility for Antarctica but it is like KT couldn't bring herself to go all the way and have Rogue apologize for Mags.  Ruins the whole issue for me which is a shame because the rest of it was pretty solid.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 06:04:54 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #506 on: March 08, 2018, 07:59:06 PM »

Yep that vague reference to sleeping with the dude that helped cause Antarctica which Rogue just said ruined Romy just doesn't work for me.  Not sure why KT couldn't just have Rogue say, "I f**ked up and shouldn't have slept with Mags."  Pretty simple really.  It doesn't need an explanation.  All it needed was an acknowledgment that she messed up.  Instead we get Rogue trying to excuse Mags as her wanting to explore.  It would like someone trying to justify sleeping with their girlfriend's sister as "I just wanted to explore." GTFOH.  You go exploring with people that didn't ruin your relationship. 

It is especially odd because KT had Rogue take responsibility for Antarctica but it is like KT couldn't bring herself to go all the way and have Rogue apologize for Mags.  Ruins the whole issue for me which is a shame because the rest of it was pretty solid.

Probably for the same reason most pros aren't going to outright say they "hated" another pros work. Especially when it represents the company they work for. The Magneto relationship-thing was laced throughout Carey's run, just thrown into overdrive for the last 12 (or less) issues. It's probably bad form to denigrate it. Something I think she learned during her move from critique to writer. Kinda like NBA coaches don't talk ish about each other in public during or after their tenure in the league. KT is walking a line here, outside of straight up retconning it, she has to try to make sense of something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. She's trying to respect continuity (Doing a really good job at it. best I've seen in years) and at the same time appease both Rogue and Gambit fans. You may be asking too much. As many times as Gambit has gotten the short end of the stick, she cant just go and dump everything on Rogue (arguably the biggest female draw in Marvel right now). The fact that she's allowed to even do this much is somewhat surprising to me.

I personally don't see a problem with it. People sleep with people they shouldn't all the time. At the moment the person will swear up and down its the "right thing" and probably cling that much harder to the person. Then turn around and look back a couple years later and regret the whole thing. From what I gather, Rogue seems to be remorseful. I think you may want a bit more than what's necessary. From Gambit's response too. In the past you've said you want Gambit not to care, and that's basically whats happening here, he let it go. But you seem to want him not to care at all, which I guess is fair as well. Gambit has some fault in the rockiness in their relationship, "the tape" comes to mind, but I don't believe Rogue even knows about that. And yeah, I still don't know how the Storm incident came up... There's just not enough time to delve so deep.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:05:13 PM by DonPriceTag »

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2018, 09:45:35 PM »
Sorry bro, you are excuse making.  Writers retcon and contradict other writers all the time.  You are free to feel however you want about it.  I think her hand waving Mags away was bulls*** and no amount of mental gymnastics is going to sway me.

People sleep with people they shouldn't all the time.  And adults that do so man up and admit it.  Rogue didnt do that.   She made excuses.  Mags was not her exploring.  Give me a break. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:57:53 PM by remydat »

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2018, 10:16:54 PM »
Hmm.... So, ok if we're not taking characters words as cannon, I'm curious, what was she doing if not exploring, as was written? Because I was just generating reason for something thatst already happened. At this point your questioning the mental position of a fictional character. Isn't what they say the very stuff that makes it reality? Unless there's a narrator box or thought bubble, doesn't it end there?

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #509 on: March 08, 2018, 10:34:58 PM »
Rogue is a fictional character.  The writer created a bulls*** excuse to handwave Mags away just as Carey created a bulls*** excuse to put them together in the first place.

Exploring is hooking up with Deadpool or Johnny Storm.  It is not hooking up with the dude who helped ruin your relationship.  Like lets be real here dude.  That s*** would not fly with anyone in Gambit's situation.

There is no way if my girlfriend or anyone's girlfriend for that matter slept with someone that tried to ruin my or their life that they would just accept that claim.  It is by no means realistic bro.  KT has done a good job overall but I am not pretending her Mags' explanation makes sense.  She doesnt get a pass for bulls*** just because you like her story more than Carey's.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 10:37:18 PM by remydat »