Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148555 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #540 on: March 12, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »

100 23.24 $3.99 MAR Rogue and Gambit (2018) 2 22,201 -44.27%

Pretty steep drop off.

Huge drop. A mini and no variants for issue 2.

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #541 on: March 12, 2018, 07:11:59 PM »
As much as I disliked the whole Rogue/Magneto pairing (and I did, very VERY much), I assume KT decided not to have Rogue say outright that it was a mistake (though it was, IMHO) because there are fans of that pairing, and she didn't want to trash their 'ship.

That being said, I think she did say it in a far more subtle way: Rogue's whole monologue made it sound like it was a mistake and the art seemed to show that it was even painful for her to talk about it aloud.  No names mentioned, like he was an inconsequential rebound.  That's what I think anyway. . .  :)

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #542 on: March 12, 2018, 08:16:20 PM »

100 23.24 $3.99 MAR Rogue and Gambit (2018) 2 22,201 -44.27%

Pretty steep drop off.

Huge drop. A mini and no variants for issue 2.

This should not be a surprise in general, there is always a drop between issue #1 and #2. Especially for minis and books that are limited. Solos see drastic drops too.

Variants might have helped but I'm not sure how much, since there wasn't one for the second issue.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #543 on: March 12, 2018, 10:49:05 PM »
Well probably didn't help that you started off the mini by having half of your tandem looking like a creep.  I suspect a decent amount of Gambit fans didn't stick around for issue 2.  That or like me me they just flip through at their LCS without buying.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 05:03:29 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
« Reply #544 on: March 13, 2018, 02:34:53 AM »
We're living in a time where the core X-Men books are selling between 30-39k. With those figures, what chance does Rogue & Gambit have, or any solo X-Man? Even Deadpool's hit the 20k mark, and that guy gets promoted like crazy. In fact pretty much every book is performing badly, including Avengers.

And that's why I'm glad it's a mini, no abrupt cancellations will effect the story...and it's critically acclaimed, and it should make a nice TPB. So I'm content with that.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #545 on: March 13, 2018, 03:38:03 AM »
This should not be a surprise in general, there is always a drop between issue #1 and #2. Especially for minis and books that are limited. Solos see drastic drops too.

Variants might have helped but I'm not sure how much, since there wasn't one for the second issue.

In current market variants helps a lot.
All new Marvel ongoins have numerous sales till issue 5 at least. Venom variant for Astonishing #3 rose sales so much that AXM#3 outsold #2.
It is just shows that R&G was left to survive on it`s own. The same way as Gambit by Asmus.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #546 on: March 13, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »
I forgot that issue 2 did have a variant and it didn't help. It was not rare either, it was not part of some "marketing" to push another book or help this one. It has the Hulk on it. It seemed to be a 1 for 1 type because I grabbed it by accident and didn't put it back. Attached is the variant for Rogue & Gambit #2.

As for sales, it is what it is .... the book dropped close to half of issue 1, and we've debated that issue quite a bit. Gambit came across poorly, whereas he is better in issue 2 and 3. Issue one set the tone and it wasn't a good one for one of the characters whose name is on the cover (Gambit). Creep Gambit in issue one was no better than clown pants Gambit. IMO.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:42:23 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #547 on: March 13, 2018, 06:17:58 PM »
KT tweeted this, for those interested:

If any of y'all wanna write in about how much you love #Rogue & #Gambit, this is the email: [email protected] Make sure to write "ok to print"
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:58:30 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #548 on: March 14, 2018, 09:37:48 AM »
KT tweeted this, for those interested:

Thanks for sharing! Definitely going to have to do this because R&G has exceeded my expectations

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #549 on: March 14, 2018, 06:01:04 PM »
Quote from: bark_no_byte link=topic=5109. msg72683#msg72683 date=1521034668

Thanks for sharing! Definitely going to have to do this because R&G has exceeded my expectations

No problem.  :)

I'm pretty happy with the series too so far (though yeah, there are parts in the first issue I didn't like as much, but all in all: good book).  I wrote in.  Hopefully more people do too. 

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #550 on: March 15, 2018, 06:54:06 AM »

KT: "There are two more significant flashbacks in issue 4, yes.

One of them takes place in a famous scene from the past - and gives us a chance to see some “between the panels/off panel” stuff we missed back then. The other is a totally new scene that spins out of some events from the Asmus/Mann Gambit solo series. I think each FB is two pages."

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #551 on: March 15, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »
Considering her disdain back then, but has reconsidered her view on the Asmus solo, that is nice.

Thanks for the updates ...  :gambit:

edit: that is, its good to have the solo recognized. She could have ignored it but didn't.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:15:00 AM by Nekobaghira »

Offline pastella

• X-Man Mentor
    • pastellarts
« Reply #552 on: March 15, 2018, 12:45:51 PM »

From Pere Perez's Tumblr

"The last lines of the last page of the last issue of Rogue and Gambit are about to be drawn.[/size][size=78%]"[/size]

Art is hard, life is harder

Offline cc008

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #553 on: March 15, 2018, 12:55:07 PM »
Definitely can't argue about the art.
Who Dat

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #554 on: March 15, 2018, 01:14:48 PM »
Considering her disdain back then, but has reconsidered her view on the Asmus solo, that is nice.

Thanks for the updates ...  :gambit:

edit: that is, its good to have the solo recognized. She could have ignored it but didn't.

Mann's Gambit was also lying on the table in the room with clons.