Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148549 times)

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #645 on: April 07, 2018, 01:51:59 PM »
They create a lot of hate from fans when they are in one book not because they are toxic characters but because most of their writers are garbage.  They were not toxic in Asmus.  They were not even toxic at the end of Legacy as Carey made it clear that Gambit would leave her alone and let Rogue come back to her.  So the issue I have with your statement is they could have been written perfectly fine together as friends or apart if writers had simply left things as Carey, Asmus, had written.  Liu and David simply followed that formula while people like Duggan and Soule did not.

If you want to claim they are toxic, show me the convo where Gambit says he was lying about what he said in Legacy?  Show me the convo where he said he was full of sh*t regarding what he said at the end of Asmus?  No such story exists.  This sudden pining for Rogue or even Rogue wanting to kiss Red Skull Gambit was completely pulled out of thin air and simply is not supported by anything that happened in Legacy or the solo. 

In short, KT based her book on a false premise.  A false premise she did not create but a false premise she is clearly knowledgeable enough to realize exists because she read Legacy and the solo so she knows nothing Duggan and Soule wrote is supported by what Carey and Asmus wrote.  She simply did a beautiful job with that false premise but in effect, her story is based on a lie.  Gambit and Rogue were not toxic.  The were not pining for each other and Asmus proved they could handle things with no hard feelings. 

The point about sales is that while I agree they are iconic, that status is exaggerated.  If they were as iconic as Romy fans believe the book simply would have sold more and wouldn't have had sales that completely plummeted after the first issue.  That plummet is evidence of what I am saying.  I
personally know a few Gambit fans who read the solo, Liu, and David and were completely shocked by what they read in issue 1.  Why?  Because the casual Gambit fan isn't picking up dumb cameos like Duggan and they aren't reading books where it is clear Gambit is not a focus.  So they read 1 wondering how the f did the same Gambit who said what he said to Rogue at the end of Asmus and was trying to get with Cece and Polaris is suddenly back to begging Rogue for some a** in a way that borders on sexual harassment.  Casual fans simply don't rate cameos and awful characterization as highly as you or KT did and quite frankly many of them bailed long before KT was able to turn this around.  That was her fatal mistake.  Issue 1 pretty much ruined the experience for a lot of people because again, the premise of issue 1 is a lie and runs counter to years of development.  All because she decided to focus on garbage Gambit appearances in Duggan and Soule.

It is so cool that yoy know what books should be ignored and what shouldn't be when you are writing #1 for new book. Cameo and story is s*** so it shouldn't be used or must be ignored. With the same logic writers should ignor all stories that they didn't like like it never happend.

They were toxic in Asmus. Some readers dropped third arc because Rogue was in it. The same way you was creating hater posts at cbr when R&G was announced 3 months before even #1. I don't remeber really but I think your posts about Astonishing wasn't when Rogue was announced either.

About sales I can't say because I don't know how it works. Marvel created just 38k and it was outsold and went to second printing. Should it be better? Definitely. But I am sure that if Gambit and Rogue were not written as crap before then sales would be better. End if they were not toxic then posters would be not writing hater posts and jusr tried this book.

I am not going to look for something to show you. I told you before that I am not interested in this. They were toxic before R&G. Now not so much but still are.

If you don't think that they are toxic then I am happy to see when you won't continue to make negative posts if they will be announced for one new team book.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 02:01:00 PM by purplevit »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #646 on: April 07, 2018, 02:01:01 PM »
I think I should have intervened a few pages ago. Lets agree to disagree and move on.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #647 on: April 07, 2018, 03:27:12 PM »
Edit - Sorry only saw Neko's post after responding so removed the bulk of my post.

I will just end by saying the decline in sales from 1 to 2 is proof she should have understood that the cameo and Soule was out of continuity stuff that people did not want to read.  Writers ignore stuff they don't like all the time as KT largely ignored 2.5 years of stories to hang her hat on cameos and Soule.  Continuity is the whole history not the most recent story.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:46:52 PM by remydat »
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #648 on: April 07, 2018, 03:45:24 PM »
All good guys.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #649 on: April 07, 2018, 11:41:19 PM »
So let's talk about Bishop's fabulous perm. I mean, man. Was that hair permy! Or was it more of a Jerry curl? I got a hint of nwa Ice Cube with a touch of De Barge.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #650 on: April 07, 2018, 11:57:56 PM »
So let's talk about Bishop's fabulous perm. I mean, man. Was that hair permy! Or was it more of a Jerry curl? I got a hint of nwa Ice Cube with a touch of De Barge.

Yes! I was trying to think who he reminded me of and you nailed it.

Forgot to say before that I liked the part about Guido.

Rogue’s dress was bad then and remains so.

Jean’s big hair. I forget that that was still a trend into the 90s.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #651 on: April 08, 2018, 10:30:06 AM »
Yes! I was trying to think who he reminded me of and you nailed it.

Forgot to say before that I liked the part about Guido.

Rogue’s dress was bad then and remains so.

Jean’s big hair. I forget that that was still a trend into the 90s.

Yeah, I love how 90s that entire section was. Bishop's gone through a lot of hairstyles throughout the years.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #652 on: April 08, 2018, 03:22:51 PM »
Did Bishop ever do a mohawk haircut? Did he do no hair thing or am I thinking of another character?

I will say, I would want Gambit's hair to wild, don't need a ponytail but he'd probably look good with a manbun.

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #653 on: April 08, 2018, 05:24:55 PM »
I think he had a manbun in the Asmus solo, during one of the Rogue scenes...

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #654 on: April 08, 2018, 05:54:55 PM »
I know Gambit had a manbun in the solo, its why I mentioned it.  ;)

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #655 on: April 08, 2018, 06:17:14 PM »
I thought the man bun was in the series with Storm.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #656 on: April 08, 2018, 06:45:05 PM »
Did Bishop ever do a mohawk haircut? Did he do no hair thing or am I thinking of another character?

I will say, I would want Gambit's hair to wild, don't need a ponytail but he'd probably look good with a manbun.

From my recollection he had a curly perm, a low cut (long time) sometimes bald and then dreads.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 06:47:26 PM by DonPriceTag »
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #657 on: April 08, 2018, 06:45:37 PM »
Re: Gambit's man bun.

Oh man, I don't know now. I don't know why I think in Asmus solo .... you're gonna make me grab my trades and look! LMAO

It could have been in the Storm series too.

Well, maybe Dantay will come to the rescue on this. LOL

Offline anya

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #658 on: April 08, 2018, 06:55:51 PM »
I liked bishop's bald with a goatee look and the dreads the best.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #659 on: April 08, 2018, 06:56:13 PM »
See Don’s icon? It’s a bit too short to do a bun.