Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 146896 times)

Offline Sparta

• X-Man Ally
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #735 on: April 28, 2018, 10:21:05 PM »
I love that scene with Gambit and Mystique. That's how their awkward dynamic should be written.

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #736 on: April 29, 2018, 12:42:02 AM »
Mystique saved the cats from Sabertooth who was going to eat them.

Biggest... Mistake... Ever.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #737 on: April 29, 2018, 11:13:35 AM »
sock? I always thought it was leather. Rather that than a bandana around his neck looking like a bad 80s cowboy lol

I really like the bandanna. I can't explain why haha his whole look for Astonishing has been one of my favorites.

Offline Berry

• [insert something witty]
  • X-Man Leader
« Reply #738 on: May 02, 2018, 10:48:22 AM »
So, issue 5 was fairly Rogue heavy, Gambit was pretty much support staff with the actual saving of the day.  That said, I still really enjoyed it.  I was pretty amused by Gambit’s trench coat being back on him in one piece at the hospital which means he either 1.) brought two coats with him to a tropical island or 2.) sewed it back together before him & Rogue went off to the hospital. 

Also, their ‘redisgns’ from the preview page shows back up in the make out splash page.  I can’t imagine KT would have used it twice if she wasn’t leading somewhere with it.  No idea where, the end page doesn’t indicate anything is coming down the pipes for them other than to look for them in Gold.

Caroline: I know it sounds crazy, but alcohol helps.

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #739 on: May 02, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »
if you want more Rogue& Gambit write to the marvel,  [email protected]  , mark them " ok to print"

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #740 on: May 02, 2018, 03:26:44 PM »
So, issue 5 was fairly Rogue heavy, Gambit was pretty much support staff with the actual saving of the day.  That said, I still really enjoyed it.  I was pretty amused by Gambit’s trench coat being back on him in one piece at the hospital which means he either 1.) brought two coats with him to a tropical island or 2.) sewed it back together before him & Rogue went off to the hospital. 

Also, their ‘redisgns’ from the preview page shows back up in the make out splash page.  I can’t imagine KT would have used it twice if she wasn’t leading somewhere with it.  No idea where, the end page doesn’t indicate anything is coming down the pipes for them other than to look for them in Gold.

Yeah kind of felt like the villain was specifically created with Rogue in mind. Gambit was just there as her sidekick to buy her time to defeat Lavish in a way only she could.[/size]Also thought wasting panel space to develop the villain in the final issue was a poor choice. At this point I think most readers don't care about Lavish or her motivations so cramming it in the last issue is an odd story choice IMO.

Thought issues 1 and 5 were the weakest.  I just hope future writers stop with the angst and wishy washy Rogue now that she is supposedly committed.  I fear though sooner or later she will go back to not being sure and Gambit will go back to pining.

In the end, kind of felt this was really a Rogue comic disguised as a Rogue and Gambit comic.  Rogue saved the day and it was Rogue who essentially had to decide whether Gambit was worth her time.  She is essentially the focal point of the story and the person that drives the narrative with Gambit being her supporting character.
[/color]
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #741 on: May 02, 2018, 03:50:12 PM »
Rogue finally apologized. This was too Rogue-centric. And too much space on a villain not developed well enough.

Gambit has his cats! LMAO

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 04:02:51 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #742 on: May 02, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
I liked the last issue! Though I will disagree about it being too Rogue-centric, from a narrative stand point anyway. Most of us were concerned going into Rogue and Gambit that the story was going to be a Rogue story at the cost of Gambit, so what we got is pretty amazing. We did get a little bamboozled though because it was a Rogue story; from issue 1 to the final, it was about resolving Rogue's emotional state.

The backstory we got on the villain did make the scenario weaker because it told us that Lavish has a strong reason to avoid absorbing people, so yeah >.>

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #743 on: May 02, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »
Gambit has his cats! LMAO

They printed my email. I'm in a Marvel comic. That's pretty dope. Hope my unmanly shriek didn't disturb my neighbors... Much.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #744 on: May 02, 2018, 06:10:21 PM »
All and all, I thought it was a cute ending to the story. It was definitely Rogue's issue, which I kind of understand because if you're going to write about their relationship and give them a clean slate, you need to resolve Rogue's inability to commit. I still wish Remy had more face time though.

Offline remydat

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #745 on: May 02, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
Perhaps we should start calling him "The superhero formerly known as Gambit aka Rogue's insignificant other."
"Let me go first Lorna.  I"m their freaking king!"

Offline Paneo01

• X-Man Mentor
« Reply #746 on: May 02, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »
Just finished it. Basically a watering down of remy to build up rogue. Really tired of him being writing as a spineless shmuck for rogue, Bring ladies man remy back(I know ,wont happen)

6/10

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #747 on: May 02, 2018, 08:00:47 PM »
Moment l saw Gambit on the ground and then saying what he said I was like..."well I know where this is going". Would have liked Gambit to not play so much second fiddle but I don't think it was so much to get butt hurt over. After having three back to back stellar issues, the dismount was bound to be shakey, even though it wasn't all that bad at all. But you know, have it, y'all. Season it up.

Think KT could have used the space she gave Lavish better but until now we had zero background on her. Kind of the set back when using an original villain. I will say, reading between the lines it was done like that and left open so it could be addressed in some fashion later on. Admittedly she seems to be more of a villain for Rogue than Gambit. She wouldn't fit well into his gallery.

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #748 on: May 02, 2018, 08:14:30 PM »

They printed my email. I'm in a Marvel comic. That's pretty dope. Hope my unmanly shriek didn't disturb my neighbors... Much.

I love this post so much. Congrats! And Letters Pages make me happy and nostalgic.

Despite its flaws, I enjoyed this series a lot more than I thought I would.

And Rogue apologized. To Remy. Someone get me my fainting couch.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:09:04 PM by Miss Misery »
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #749 on: May 02, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »
Perhaps we should start calling him "The superhero formerly known as Gambit aka Rogue's insignificant other."

Heh heh. My concern after reading this issue is establishing Gambit's lack of meaning or usefulness in the X-books. His character not worthy of his own presence because now that he is attached to Rogue, it will be for her benefit.

It's a shame.

As for this mini being mainly about Rogue .... it was that way .... all the way through. Gambit was seldom shown as his own person. IMO - Just another writer boosting Rogue at Gambit's expense. Clearly, Rogue was the preferred character, as she got all the growth. It didn't do anything for Gambit but regress him the 1990's. IMO
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 08:56:24 PM by Nekobaghira »