Poll

What is the true purpose of this mini?

To explore and solidify their relationship.
To officially split them apart.
Neither, just a fun adventure.

Author Topic: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk  (Read 148756 times)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
Re: Rogue & Gambit- Discussion/ Spoiler Talk
« Reply #750 on: May 02, 2018, 09:07:46 PM »
I umm.. I liked 90s Gambit. I thought we all did? Would you prefer 00s Gambit? Because that guy made me quit comics for half a decade.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Miss Misery

• X-Man Teacher
  • "Stay conscious and true to yourself."
« Reply #751 on: May 02, 2018, 09:10:14 PM »
The always-Rogue's-cheerleader thing is something I'm afraid of. We'll see what happens next.
“Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #752 on: May 02, 2018, 09:34:56 PM »
I umm.. I liked 90s Gambit. I thought we all did? Would you prefer 00s Gambit? Because that guy made me quit comics for half a decade.

I liked 1990's Gambit when he was doing his stuff ... his adventures. Not the stuff where angstville happened.

I am thinking the moment they were hooked up which was with Xmen #4 (for irony) or something close to that number, but he did go downhill in the "00's. (I can't decide to change my post or let it stand as it is.) LOL

I mean the time period you are thinking of, however, in hindsight ... had they not hooked up ... not sure how things would be today.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:41:42 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
KT's response
« Reply #753 on: May 02, 2018, 09:48:40 PM »
http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?270-Le-Diable-Blanc-Gambit-Appreciation/page586
Quote from: Kelly Thompson
I'm sorry so many of you guys feel let down and convinced that Gambit didn't get enough time to shine and that this was "Rogue's book." I certainly disagree. Especially since I literally broke down the issues point by point on my own for each of them in each issue and in every issue except the last Gambit had more "cool action beats/moments" than Rogue. I was pretty careful about that because I knew she was going to be getting the lion's share of the finale due to her similar power set to Lavish and I wanted balance.

On the more emotional front...Rogue definitely had more time throughout the series, but I felt that was necessary because she was the one that had to see the light and have some revelations about their relationship and also be the one to make the apologies. Gambit was already emotionally there...waiting for her to figure it out. And you can disagree with that if you like, but I inherited what I inherited, and that inheritance was a Gambit still in love with Rogue and waiting for her to figure things out so that they could be together. That requires that she does more emotional lifting in our story than Remy...as he said to her from issue one.

Anyway. Sorry it didn't work for a lot of you, I appreciate you giving it a chance (if you can honestly say you did - I think some of you definitely did...others I'm not so sure). I'm definitely walking away from this particular thread feeling like there's no way to please most of you in here and y'know, that's okay...we all want what we want. Including me. And I gotta carve my own path. But I'm sorry that going forward I'm unlikely to be the right writer for a lot of you. Good luck to ya.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:16:50 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline X-fan73

• X-Man Teacher
« Reply #754 on: May 03, 2018, 12:32:05 AM »
I really think the Gambit fan base has been become too jaded. I enjoyed this series and both Rogue and Gambit’s characterization. Well done, Kelly Thompson!

Offline Meliorist

• Guild Scholar
« Reply #755 on: May 03, 2018, 12:46:24 AM »
Too jaded, perhaps but she is also responding to the reactions of 8 or so people and calling that 'so many' or 'a lot'... seems like a bit of a miscommunication. Especially since it isn't 'fire and brimstone' but rather 'meh'. I do agree that the last issue was weaker than the prior three but I still enjoyed the series and will get the trade paperback when it comes out.

Offline purplevit

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #756 on: May 03, 2018, 02:35:25 AM »
KT`s letter made me sad.
She wrote a great book.

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
Re: KT's response
« Reply #757 on: May 03, 2018, 09:54:47 AM »
Quote from: Kelly Thompson
I'm sorry so many of you guys feel let down and convinced that Gambit didn't get enough time to shine and that this was "Rogue's book." I certainly disagree. Especially since I literally broke down the issues point by point on my own for each of them in each issue and in every issue except the last Gambit had more "cool action beats/moments" than Rogue. I was pretty careful about that because I knew she was going to be getting the lion's share of the finale due to her similar power set to Lavish and I wanted balance.

On the more emotional front...Rogue definitely had more time throughout the series, but I felt that was necessary because she was the one that had to see the light and have some revelations about their relationship and also be the one to make the apologies. Gambit was already emotionally there...waiting for her to figure it out. And you can disagree with that if you like, but I inherited what I inherited, and that inheritance was a Gambit still in love with Rogue and waiting for her to figure things out so that they could be together. That requires that she does more emotional lifting in our story than Remy...as he said to her from issue one.

Anyway. Sorry it didn't work for a lot of you, I appreciate you giving it a chance (if you can honestly say you did - I think some of you definitely did...others I'm not so sure). I'm definitely walking away from this particular thread feeling like there's no way to please most of you in here and y'know, that's okay...we all want what we want. Including me. And I gotta carve my own path. But I'm sorry that going forward I'm unlikely to be the right writer for a lot of you. Good luck to ya.

I think this makes a lot of sense. I haven't had a chance to read issue 5 yet but I've really loved the series. I'm glad that KT is sticking by her guns. Hope she gets to write more of these characters soon

Edit: Gah, for some reason it's including my comment with the quote. Can't figure out how to change it

Resource:
http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?270-Le-Diable-Blanc-Gambit-Appreciation/page586 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:26:54 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline Dantay

• X-Man Legend
« Reply #758 on: May 03, 2018, 11:08:24 AM »

I think this makes a lot of sense. I haven't had a chance to read issue 5 yet but I've really loved the series. I'm glad that KT is sticking by her guns. Hope she gets to write more of these characters soon

ffs why is she apologizing, the book was good,Gambit had a very strong showing and well written , i would like for her to get the opertunity to write him again . I am not a Romy fan but she fixed the mess Austin - Carey put that relationship in.

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #759 on: May 03, 2018, 02:02:47 PM »

Edit: Gah, for some reason it's including my comment with the quote. Can't figure out how to change it

Well, I've actually spent time yelling at my machine trying to figure this out for you. And have spent more time trying to fix than I thought possible. LMAO

There has to be a dangling tag somewhere ... I can't seem to find it. Never say never, right .... At least you can be quote correctly.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 02:05:58 PM by Nekobaghira »

Offline bark_no_byte

• Outcast
« Reply #760 on: May 03, 2018, 02:19:38 PM »
Well, I've actually spent time yelling at my machine trying to figure this out for you. And have spent more time trying to fix than I thought possible. LMAO

There has to be a dangling tag somewhere ... I can't seem to find it. Never say never, right .... At least you can be quote correctly.

Weird. Oh well. Thanks for looking into it

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #761 on: May 03, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »

Weird. Oh well. Thanks for looking into it

Its CBR's thread ... something there but not sure what ... I'll add the link to the end of your post for resource information and if it doesn't work, we'll leave it out. :)

Offline DonPriceTag

• @theprattlp
  • Global Moderator
  • X-Man Legend
  • Heavens to Murgatroyd!
« Reply #762 on: May 03, 2018, 02:57:06 PM »
...what if Mystique secretly implanted the cats with an explosive device?  >:D  That's possible right? Cat confetti? I guess listening devices would be cool too... but explosives... better.
Rogue being flung vagina-first at the first male that pops up on her radar isn't how I'd define "romance," but Marvel must be using a different dictionary than me.- NicoPony

Offline Nekobaghira

• Administrator
  • X-Man Legend
« Reply #763 on: May 03, 2018, 06:38:50 PM »
I guess it actually doesn't matter. Its not like much will be carried over to anywhere. Is what it is. LOL

Offline Nox

• Guild Member
« Reply #764 on: May 03, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
...what if Mystique secretly implanted the cats with an explosive device?  >:D  That's possible right? Cat confetti? I guess listening devices would be cool too... but explosives... better.

OMG. Is it bad that I laughed reading that? Probably is, but I'm more of a dog person anyways... :P

Anyway, regarding KT's comments: it's a shame she's taking the harsher criticism to heart. She's gotten some great reviews. I, personally, think she did a great job. She put a lot of time and effort into researching her subject and put a lot of thought into what she was writing. I give her kudos for that and I hope they give her a shot at another x-book. She's one of the better comic book writers out there right now, IMHO.